Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Good Old ToTV is alive & well (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/good-old-totv-alive-well-316591/)

dewilson58 02-21-2021 09:50 AM

Good Old ToTV is alive & well

Look at the current topics:

Shower head fun
Movies to watch
Garbage disposal assistance
Humor
Painting outside
Painting inside
Electric bikes
Sharing photos
RIP
Weed killin
Lost & Found
Remodeling

To mention a few.
All live topics, without the minority few nasty posters.

The glass is not just 1/2 full.................it's over 95% full!!!

Have it and make it a great day.

:ho:

Stu from NYC 02-21-2021 10:14 AM

TOTV has worked out great for us in getting advise on how to fix things and finding good vendors.

We have also made some good friends via TOTV.

Polar Bear 02-21-2021 10:46 AM

ToTV is like almost all online forums and social media. There's a bunch of good and fun to be had...you just have to learn how to sift through everything and avoid getting caught up in the bad stuff. :)

laboutj 02-21-2021 11:22 AM

I am relatively new to TOTV. Same as another poster said, I come on here with questions or trying to answer questions, maybe find out golf course conditions, and look at the classifieds. I steer clear regarding Covid and do not wear my political affiliations on my sleeve.

Ecuadog 02-21-2021 11:32 AM

For me, it is relatively easy to decide which threads to bypass altogether just by looking at the subject title.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-21-2021 11:56 AM

I just used ToTV to find a licensed and recommended HVAC person for a neighbor whose house is selling but needs a check on their AC unit before closing this week. Chuck Farrell's not taking new customers, but they recommended Kalos Services out of Clermont, and they'll be over tomorrow morning!

Boomer 02-21-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1905681)

Shower head fun
Movies to watch
Humor
Painting outside
Painting inside
Electric bikes
Sharing photos
RIP
Weed killin
Lost & Found
Remodeling

To mention a few.

dewilson58,

I just stopped in for my morning scroll and the first thing I saw was your public service announcement. You’re right. It is nice to see a variety of topics like those you listed.

I have seen two movie threads that I want to take part in, but for now, I am going to resist and get back to my cooking — and listening to Ella Fitzgerald, interspersed with The Rolling Stones and a few of my all-time country favorites — all on my iPod. Yes. I said iPod.

I am the only person in the world not on Facebook. Being (sort of) hooked on TOTV is quite enough cyber-life for me. TOTV is my only social media and through the years, I have appreciated how things (usually) have gone.

See you later at the movies. :)

Boomerosaurus

Toymeister 02-21-2021 03:28 PM

All first world problems, squared.

Isn't a lifetime of planning that lead us to this wonderful retirement amazing if that is all we can complain about?

Doro22 02-21-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1905776)
dewilson58,

I just stopped in for my morning scroll and the first thing I saw was your public service announcement. You’re right. It is nice to see a variety of topics like those you listed.

I have seen two movie threads that I want to take part in, but for now, I am going to resist and get back to my cooking — and listening to Ella Fitzgerald, interspersed with The Rolling Stones and a few of my all-time country favorites — all on my iPod. Yes. I said iPod.

I am the only person in the world not on Facebook. Being (sort of) hooked on TOTV is quite enough cyber-life for me. TOTV is my only social media and through the years, I have appreciated how things (usually) have gone.

Boomerosaurus

And I thought I was the only person left not on Facebook. Sometimes I feel discriminated against because of that.

billethkid 02-21-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

dewilson58,

Boomerosaurus

Ditto!!

oldtimes 02-22-2021 08:20 AM

I think someone must be giving out prizes for the most ridiculous posts since there seem to be so many of them. The vast majority of the very vocal people on the site bear no resemblance whatsoever to any of the actual people I know here.

graciegirl 02-22-2021 08:31 AM

Those who feel superior not being on Facebook are missing out a lot. I click on and can see what my family is doing in Ohio, New York and London. I can see my cousins catching fish or baking bread and groan at some of their silly memes. I can get up to date information about Covid vaccinations and people's take on world affairs and I can involve myself as much or as little as I want to in the discussions. I can check in on the young parents who have just started the life long journey of having a child with Williams Syndrome and sometimes offer advice and comfort. I can do a coffee spit over the hilarious jokes and puns that brighten my day. I can make a snide remark or two if I am in a bit of a mood and get a snide remark or two back. I know what friends who were in my wedding are doing and see that they too have a bit of trouble getting quickly out of a chair and sometimes I urge them to do things, like take the vaccine and see a doctor and sometimes they urge me to mind my own business. I love Facebook, with care it is both safe and world enlarging and has been a solace during this long quarantine. I will continue to enjoy seeing people shout HOORAY....when they get their second shot and to look forward when we will meet again in person. Don't miss out on a wonderful opportunity to further enjoy life.

kathyspear 02-22-2021 12:39 PM

I'm no longer on FB. I don't feel superior about it. I just feel less stressed. Yes, I miss some of the groups I followed (including one that is working toward a cure of the genetic disease from which my kids suffered). However, I do not miss all the political ugliness, most of which was directed at me and people of my political persuasion.

FWIW: Before I deleted my account I downloaded all my FB data. It contains the category "Your Off-Facebook Activity" which is a list of almost a thousand web sites that I had visited over the years along with the time and date of each visit. These are not sites that I visited by clicking on an FB link. They are web sites that I visited using my web browser, totally unrelated to my FB activity. Lord only knows who they were passing that info along to. Just something to keep in mind when you think about what you are getting "for free" on social media.

kathy

Velvet 02-22-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

dewilson58,

Boomerosaurus

Not the only person not on Facebook, Boomer, neither am I. Although I do have the latest of every form of Apple gadget and some Android too.

My brother and myself started off building computers from scratch and we used C and FORTRAN for programming. Daughter was a web site designer and forum moderator. We were all aware of the safety of the internet right from it’s birth. Thus no social media for me other than regular battles with Apple on their (lack of) privacy etc. ToTV was an exception because it is helpful for information around TV. And I got to like many of the posters too.

FenneyFanatic 02-22-2021 03:18 PM

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2::clap2::clap2:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1905681)

Shower head fun
Movies to watch
Humor
Painting outside
Painting inside
Electric bikes
Sharing photos
RIP
Weed killin
Lost & Found
Remodeling

To mention a few.