Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Golf Etiquette - Cigarette Butts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/golf-etiquette-cigarette-butts-316608/)

Joanne19335 02-21-2021 01:07 PM

Golf Etiquette - Cigarette Butts

As an ambassador who works executive and championship courses, I frequently find cigarette butts (some still burning) on tee boxes and around the greens. Part of my job is to clear away the broken tees, trash that may have blown onto the tee boxes and greens and filling divots as well as fixing fresh ball marks on the greens. I have noticed that over the past year, the number of cigarette butts discarded on the tee boxes has increased significantly. Besides being a health issue, this type of unnecessary trash is disgusting. Is it too much to ask that smokers buy a small ashtray to put in their carts and not discard their butts on the course? Ambassadors are responsible for regular "clean-up" before and after the golfers play. Please be considerate, not only to your fellow golfers, but to the workers and maintenance staff. We want your golf experience to be enjoyable for everyone.

stanley 02-21-2021 01:11 PM

And the damn cigars! And watch your masks, they are as much of a problem as the cigars and cigarette butts! Disgusting!

thelegges 02-21-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1905823)
You would think after decades of danger of smoking 🚬 the DS’s would of quit by now? :faint:

If they have smoked entire adult life, why quit now? It’s not like quitting will give them extra years, let them enjoy one of the lifelong habitats. But I agree pick up your butts, not just on the course, but around ponds, residents property, and the road

Fredman 02-21-2021 02:19 PM

I thought the only thing ambassador’s do was ride around. I have never seen an ambassador doing the things u say u r supposed to do

Hape2Bhr 02-21-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne19335 (Post 1905808)
As an ambassador who works executive and championship courses, I frequently find cigarette butts (some still burning) on tee boxes and around the greens. Part of my job is to clear away the broken tees, trash that may have blown onto the tee boxes and greens and filling divots as well as fixing fresh ball marks on the greens. I have noticed that over the past year, the number of cigarette butts discarded on the tee boxes has increased significantly. Besides being a health issue, this type of unnecessary trash is disgusting. Is it too much to ask that smokers buy a small ashtray to put in their carts and not discard their butts on the course? Ambassadors are responsible for regular "clean-up" before and after the golfers play. Please be considerate, not only to your fellow golfers, but to the workers and maintenance staff. We want your golf experience to be enjoyable for everyone.

Probably the same people that throw their butts out when driving in their car. I believe most cars come with ashtrays. :ohdear:

Joe V. 02-21-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr (Post 1905847)
Probably the same people that throw their butts out when driving in their car. I believe most cars come with ashtrays. :ohdear:

Not anymore. Automakers started to silently phase them out sometime in the mid 90’s. By the 2000’s, most cars only offered them as optional features. Today, many cars don’t even do that.

John_W 02-21-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1905853)
Not anymore. Automakers started to silently phase them out sometime in the mid 90’s. By the 2000’s, most cars only offered them as optional features. Today, many cars don’t even do that.

Ash trays was where you put your change. I just wish they hadn't phased out CD players.

wisbad1 02-21-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredman (Post 1905835)
I thought the only thing ambassador’s do was ride around. I have never seen an ambassador doing the things u say u r supposed to do

Wrong,

DeanFL 02-21-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisbad1 (Post 1905860)
Wrong,

agree - I've seen a share of butts, as well on our streets and MM paths. One thing haven't seen on courses yet - the infanous dog poop. Well, I 've had my share of crappy shots in TV, but I try to clean off my clubs really well after.

John_W 02-21-2021 08:59 PM

I don't know what goes on at an executives, maybe the ambassadors are too busy with water and sand because I haven't played one in at least five years. However, the championship courses, I haven't played a round in ten years where I didn't see an ambassador picking up broken tees, or filling divots on the tees.

Art cov 02-21-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1905833)
If they have smoked entire adult life, why quit now? It’s not like quitting will give them extra years, let them enjoy one of the lifelong habitats. But I agree pick up your butts, not just on the course, but around ponds, residents property, and the road

This hits home for me. My mom n dad smoked for 60 years. Both had a list of health issues. Mom was an old roller derby gal and dad a boxer. Both were as tough as nails and neither backed down from a fight. As a boy I seen both in fists fights with their same sex. True story! One day mom’s doctor told her make preparations to die, he said only thing to help is quit smoking immediately and she did! A surprise for sure and she is alive yet. Dad’s doctor said you have smoked all these years, if you want to smoke then smoke. He lasted a few years and died. A man with 20” arms and powerful man was brought to a frail man in the hospital, that gasped for every breath. Hoses in nose, mouth and throat to gain another minute of life. The cigarette commercials always portrayed the smokers as cool and sexy but didn’t show a man like dad on his deathbed. Please if you smoke, then quit! It may give you a better quality of life later. You will smell better too

tophcfa 02-21-2021 11:26 PM

Disgusting habit, after watching my beloved father die of lung cancer I will never understand how someone can knowingly kill them self?

tsmall22204 02-22-2021 05:57 AM

No they don't.

tsmall22204 02-22-2021 05:59 AM

Well then do your job and clean up.

wereback 02-22-2021 06:05 AM

Wife watched her father die from lung cancer took a long time and was not pretty to watch She had not been able to quit before but quit the day he died 20years ago hasn't smoked since