Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Need help in Connecting a new DVD player to TV........ I am not a techie person (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/need-help-connecting-new-dvd-player-tv-i-am-not-techie-person-316644/)

E Cascade 02-22-2021 12:15 PM

Need help in Connecting a new DVD player to TV........ I am not a techie person

I have a 2 yr old 52" TV and it does not have a DVD slot. Grrrr. Now just bought from Best Buy a separate plug in DVD unit. Then had to buy a HDMI cord. Thought it would be easy to just plug it in.....Nope.

What's the difference between an HDMI 1/ARC and an HDMI 2 port on the TV?

Do I just connect HDMI Cable *1*2 of the DVD unit, directly to TV where I have two slots, an HDMI 1 and another HDMI 2?

There are other choices which say "Connecting to TV via Sound Bar/AV amplifier (receiver)" What are they for?

I have Comcast internet and TV service. What are the choices 4k AV amplifier and Non-4K AV amplifier choices for?

Does this have to be wired thru the modem or directly to the TV?

bagboy 02-22-2021 12:32 PM

Not knowing the what tv remote you have, I suggest that you go to YouTube and search for "connect DVD player to tv" Watch one or more how to videos. Watch it several times. You will amaze yourself with new to you technology skills you can learn. Good Luck!!!

retiredguy123 02-22-2021 12:38 PM

Do you have a soundbar or an amplifier, or are you just using the built-in television speakers for sound? If you want to use the built in TV speakers, just plug the hdmi cable into the TV, and the other end into the DVD player. It doesn't matter which hdmi input you use. It should work fine. If you are using an external sound source, it will be a little more complicated.

kathyspear 02-22-2021 12:53 PM

You can plug the DVD player into either HDMI outlet. When you watch a movie you will use your tv remote to change the INPUT from tv/cable to the DVD player. (When you press the INPUT button it toggles through the available inputs.)

kathy

John_W 02-22-2021 02:44 PM

In this persons hand is a HDMI cable, let's say it's connected to the HDMI port on back of your DVD player. On the lower left of this unit are horizontal slots that fit that plug, and written next to them is HDMI. They're probably listed as HDMI 1 and 2. Plug it into one of those, you might have one already in use with a plug from Xfinity, or Directv or a Firestick. That's why you have more than one, you have more than one source.

On the TV when you turn it on, go the menu and select the source for HDMI port you plugged into.

The best cable for connecting, even better than HDMI, is optical cable. There is a jack in the upper left of his TV. It's just a single wire with a squarish head. That is the best option if you have one, if you don't, just stay with HDMI.

https://media.product.which.co.uk/pr...le-into-tv.jpg

E Cascade 02-22-2021 04:01 PM

Got it.....THANKS....:)

retiredguy123 02-22-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1906332)
In this persons hand is a HDMI cable, let's say it's connected to the HDMI port on back of your DVD player. On the lower left of this unit are horizontal slots that fit that plug, and written next to them is HDMI. They're probably listed as HDMI 1 and 2. Plug it into one of those, you might have one already in use with a plug from Xfinity, or Directv or a Firestick. That's why you have more than one, you have more than one source.

On the TV when you turn it on, go the menu and select the source for HDMI port you plugged into.

The best cable for connecting, even better than HDMI, is optical cable. There is a jack in the upper left of his TV. It's just a single wire with a squarish head. That is the best option if you have one, if you don't, just stay with HDMI.

https://media.product.which.co.uk/pr...le-into-tv.jpg

The optical cable is only to transmit an audio signal from the television to an external speaker system. It will not transmit a video signal. And, from the television, it is only an output, not an input. "Optical Audio Out" shown in your photo. I think that all of the new DVD players only have an HDMI output.

John_W 02-22-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1906361)
The optical cable is only to transmit an audio signal from the television to an external speaker system. It will not transmit a video signal. And, from the television, it is only an output, not an input. "Optical Audio Out" shown in your photo. I think that all of the new DVD players only have an HDMI output.

You know I just had to reconnect my TV, Directv, DVD and 5.1 surround sound, and you're right. I ran the optical from the TV to the amp, and it's just for the audio. We had new floors installed and I had to take everything apart and reconnect and it was the old patch cords that we use to use for audio, and I was able to get rid of them with the optical cable, not the HDMI cable, I had that confused. I think the OP got the idea of the HDMI cables and he's on his way.

This is my setup, the cabinet has the amp on the left, center speaker, and Directv and DVD player on the right, besides the center speaker there is 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers plus a subwoofer. The best way I found was to take a picture of the back of the TV and maybe the amp as well before you take it all apart.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9c&oe=60592654

retiredguy123 02-22-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1906368)
You know I just had to reconnect my TV, Directv, DVD and 5.1 surround sound, and you're right. I ran the optical from the TV to the amp, and it's just for the audio. We had new floors installed and I had to take everything apart and reconnect and it was the old patch cords that we use to use for audio, and I was able to get rid of them with the optical cable, not the HDMI cable, I had that confused. I think the OP got the idea of the HDMI cables and he's on his way.

This is my setup, the cabinet has the amp on the left, center speaker, and Directv and DVD player on the right, besides the center speaker there is 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers plus a subwoofer. The best way I found was to take a picture of the back of the TV and maybe the amp as well before you take it all apart.

https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9c&oe=60592654

Wow. It looks almost identical to my setup, with the tower speakers and all. I even have the surround speaker cables running around the bedroom door. I enclosed mine in plastic conduit and it almost looks like part of the door trim.

John_W 02-22-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1906371)
Wow. It looks almost identical to my setup, with the tower speakers and all. I even have the surround speaker cables running around the bedroom door. I enclosed mine in plastic conduit and it almost looks like part of the door trim.

I just used those little white curved plastic hooks with a nail already inserted to tack the wire to the wall. I guess I could done better, but it's good enough for me. This is a Woodlawn, it was the last Woodlawn built, they changed the name to Durham in the next villa community.

Neils 02-23-2021 07:30 AM

Get some wireless surround sound speakers. No wires all over the walls and floors

georgetJblake 02-23-2021 08:05 AM

Plug DVD into HDMI 3 slot on tv, then press button on tv remote that is labeled source or input until it says HDMI 3. The TV input will be HDMI3 which your DVD player is connected to. The DVD remote should now allow you to play DVD

Jerry Leinsing 02-23-2021 08:10 AM

Open the manuals and look at the pictures if you don’t want to read. Today they are very detailed. There are also a lot of words but not that big.🧩

retiredguy123 02-23-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neils (Post 1906502)
Get some wireless surround sound speakers. No wires all over the walls and floors

I considered using wireless surround speakers. You can eliminate the speaker wires that run across the room. But, with the ones I looked at, you needed to plug in a transmitter at the receiver and a speaker receiving device near the speakers. And you need to connect the speakers to the receiving device. So, you still end up with wires. There may be other options, but it will always be a compromise, and I didn't want speakers with batteries.

John_W 02-23-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1906556)
I considered using wireless surround speakers. You can eliminate the speaker wires that run across the room. But, with the ones I looked at, you needed to plug in a transmitter at the receiver and a speaker receiving device near the speakers. And you need to connect the speakers to the receiving device. So, you still end up with wires. There may be other options, but it will always be a compromise, and I didn't want speakers with batteries.

In my case, even if I keep the center speaker and sub-woofer since they use very little wire and are located close to the amp, what do I do with $1200 worth of wired speakers. The system is working fine, unless I blow one out, I'm not changing. If I was starting over, yes, I would buy wireless. My main four speakers are 37 years old and still going strong.