Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   Second home vs rental property and what's deductible (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/second-home-vs-rental-property-whats-deductible-316912/)

LiverpoolWalrus 03-01-2021 11:21 AM

Second home vs rental property and what's deductible

I couldn't find an answer on the IRS website, so I thought I'd come here.

Let's say you own a rental property that you live in 1/4 of the year (3 months). It was marketed for rent all of 2020 but you received zero income in 2020 because of the pandemic. You lived in it for three months. Is it a rental property or a second home?

Are tax deductions like repair and maintenance allowed in both cases (rental property and second home)? I'm aware the deduction has to be the same proportion as the number of rental days.

And what's most important as I bought the property in January 2020 --- are expenses like furniture, decorations and housewares deductible? Are they only deductible if it's considered a rental property and not a second home, or both, or neither?

Thanks!

Bass56 03-01-2021 11:38 AM

I used turbo tax home and business for my property. It guides you through the whole process. Has a help line if you have any questions.
I reccomend using a professional your first time , especially under these covid times. Good luck.

Stu from NYC 03-01-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus (Post 1909639)
I couldn't find an answer on the IRS website, so I thought I'd come here.

Let's say you own a rental property that you live in 1/4 of the year (3 months). It was marketed for rent all of 2020 but you received zero income in 2020 because of the pandemic. You lived in it for three months. Is it a rental property or a second home?

Are tax deductions like repair and maintenance allowed in both cases (rental property and second home)? I'm aware the deduction has to be the same proportion as the number of rental days.

And what's most important as I bought the property in January 2020 --- are expenses like furniture, decorations and housewares deductible? Are they only deductible if it's considered a rental property and not a second home, or both, or neither?

Thanks!

A lot of changes last year due to the pandemic. Taxes are normally way over complicated but now forgettaboutit.

Suggest talking to professional.

retiredguy123 03-01-2021 12:37 PM

I agree with using TurboTax or asking a professional for this situation. But, the IRS website says:

"A dwelling is considered a residence if it’s used for personal purposes during the tax year for more than the greater of 14 days or 10 percent of the total days rented to others at a fair rental value."

Also, the only expenses that would normally be deductible for a residence are mortgage interest and real estate taxes. The other expenses you mentioned would not be deductible.

karostay 03-01-2021 01:51 PM

I use a CPA for all my tax advice not TOTV

dewilson58 03-01-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1909680)
I use a CPA for all my tax advice not TOTV

:bigbow:

Papa_lecki 03-01-2021 02:14 PM

5 IRS Rules for Renting Out Your Vacation Home | Kiplinger

3. If you use the place for more than 14 days or more than 10% of the number of days it is rented -- whichever is greater -- it is considered a personal residence. You can deduct rental expenses up to the level of rental income. But you can't deduct losses.

LiverpoolWalrus 03-01-2021 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I should have said that yes of course I’ll be getting professional advice in a few weeks. I was asking for this information because it’ll make it easier for me to tally only the numbers that are relevant. There’s no sense in adding up costs in my records that aren’t deductible.

But I appreciate the consistency in the let’s say “tone” of TOTV responses!

Fredman 03-01-2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 1909686)
5 IRS Rules for Renting Out Your Vacation Home | Kiplinger

3. If you use the place for more than 14 days or more than 10% of the number of days it is rented -- whichever is greater -- it is considered a personal residence. You can deduct rental expenses up to the level of rental income. But you can't deduct losses.

Agree

CoachKandSportsguy 03-01-2021 09:51 PM

yes, TOTV has good answers, and depends upon your level of understanding of financial statements. First, if the house is exclusively for rental, then using a commercial mortgage, a commercial insurance policy and an LLC is the best way to file as a commercial entity and then post tax loss carryforwards.

Second, no one is watching you as far as personal days in the house. However, if you have any sort of insurance claim while using it personally, then you are opening up yourself to fraud claims.

We have our rental house in an LLC, commercial mortgage, commercial insurance and filing a partnership using Turbo Tax Business, not the same as home and business. Had to use it to file my dad's 1041 estate trusts every year since 2015. . distributions to my mom using K1s, same as LLC partnership to our income taxes.

but its not complicated, just do it in turbo tax business and then take it to a CPA and have him/her review it. . . instead of do it.

finance and tax guy.

I can give you a number to call on the air of a CPA who will answer your questions live on the air.

DIver0258 03-02-2021 06:38 AM

Tax Answers

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy (Post 1909802)
yes, TOTV has good answers, and depends upon your level of understanding of financial statements. First, if the house is exclusively for rental, then using a commercial mortgage, a commercial insurance policy and an LLC is the best way to file as a commercial entity and then post tax loss carryforwards.

Second, no one is watching you as far as personal days in the house. However, if you have any sort of insurance claim while using it personally, then you are opening up yourself to fraud claims.

We have our rental house in an LLC, commercial mortgage, commercial insurance and filing a partnership using Turbo Tax Business, not the same as home and business. Had to use it to file my dad's 1041 estate trusts every year since 2015. . distributions to my mom using K1s, same as LLC partnership to our income taxes.

but its not complicated, just do it in turbo tax business and then take it to a CPA and have him/her review it. . . instead of do it.

finance and tax guy.

I can give you a number to call on the air of a CPA who will answer your questions live on the air.

This response is why we use a CPA. Tax language is greek to us. We were in a similar situation in 2020. We totaled everything up and gave all of the info to our CPA and let her decide which deductions we could use and which ones were not applicable. We would much rather have my taxes prepared by someone that knows and is current on tax code.

Singerlady 03-02-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus (Post 1909776)
Thanks for all the responses. I should have said that yes of course I’ll be getting professional advice in a few weeks. I was asking for this information because it’ll make it easier for me to tally only the numbers that are relevant. There’s no sense in adding up costs in my records that aren’t deductible.

But I appreciate the consistency in the let’s say “tone” of TOTV responses!

Use Quicken to track expenses. Easy peasy for you and accountant.

Laurawilcox 03-02-2021 08:59 AM

I was surprised as well of the limited number of days you can use your property if a second home. Officially anyway. We were asking the same question. Will definitely make second home investment a rental. Determine your goal for it as it will start carrying the advantages of depreciation, etc., that may need to be recovered later dependent on your plan. Do you need the tax breaks to have the obligations?

LiverpoolWalrus 03-02-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurawilcox...
Do you need the tax breaks to have the obligations?

Thanks Laura. I’m fortunate that I don’t “need” tax breaks. Just gathering Information.

Mqtsnowdean 03-02-2021 10:23 AM

You might want to check IRS Publication 527.