Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Why isn't THIS Headline news across the USA? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/why-isnt-headline-news-across-usa-317927/)

DeanFL 03-27-2021 07:36 AM

Why isn't THIS Headline news across the USA?

1 Attachment(s)
Whenever there is a 'mass shooting' it's huge news for a few days, as the nut killing 10 in the Boulder, CO store over a week ago and the Atlanta nut killing 8 around Massage stores. Yes horrible and deserves wide coverage.

But, DAYS after (last week) in a PUBLIX supermarket in Atlanta THIS ocurred>

An Instacart shopper believed he heard someone loading guns in a bathroom stall.
Police arrested a man with 6 guns

(CNN)An Instacart shopper who entered an Atlanta supermarket bathroom this week told police he saw an AR-15 style rifle and heard what he believed was the sound of someone loading guns in a bathroom stall.

The witness rushed out of the bathroom and notified staff at the Publix Supermarket. When police arrived soon after, they arrested a suspect as he was exiting the bathroom -- with six loaded guns in his possession.
The suspect, identified as 22-year-old Rico Marley, now faces a slew of charges related to the incident, which came just days after 10 people were killed in a mass shooting at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado.

According to the police incident report, Russell was entering the men's restroom when he "heard clicking sounds from the bathroom stall."
"It sounded to him like someone was loading firearms," an Atlanta officer wrote. "He also told me that he saw an AR-15 style rifle leaned against the wall."

After arresting Marley, police recovered six firearms: a DPMS AR-15-style rifle, a 12-gauge Maverick Arms Modell 88 shotgun, three semi-automatic 9 mm pistols and a .38-caliber revolver. All of the weapons were loaded and the rifle, shotgun and three 9 mm pistols all had a round in the chamber, according to the police report.
The suspect, who was wearing body armor when he was arrested, had the four handguns in his clothing while the rifle and shotgun were being carried inside a bag, the report says.

Att is a police photo of his loaded weapons. Imagine if that guy didn't hear the noise in the bathroom and alert police? yikes.
My reasoning for posting this is:

Why wasn't this HUGE nationwide news?
I happened upon this on a Yahoo news feed a couple days ago, googled and found this CNN article, and some others.
...only supposition I could arrive at was the 'suspect', that he didn't fit the 'Media's' model of the "typical" mass shooter to exploit.

An Instacart shopper believed he heard someone loading guns in a bathroom stall. Police arrested a man with 6 guns - CNN

Stu from NYC 03-27-2021 07:41 AM

The guy who stopped this is a hero

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-27-2021 08:22 AM

If this potential shooter knew that 75% of the people in that supermarket, including managers and employees, were armed he probably wouldn't have thought about what he was about to do.

The same for the Boulder shooter.

There are of course, a few of these idiots that want to die and would still try a mass shooting knowing that they would be killed, but if more people were armed, the damage would be minimized.

Decadeofdave 03-27-2021 08:37 AM

People, be aware of your surroundings like this citizen that heard the loading of the guns, take notice of what is around you. These potential perps are anywhere/everywhere, even the most affuential areas of the country.

blueash 03-27-2021 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This story has been widely reported.
Man arrested after taking 6 guns, body armor into Atlanta Publix

Atlanta man arrested with 6 guns, body armor at Publix grocery store - ABC News

Man arrested at Atlanta grocery with six guns, body armor, police say

Heavily Armed Man Arrested in Atlanta Grocery Store - The New York Times

Man walked into Atlanta grocery store with five guns, body armor, police say | Fox News

The most important detail you omitted is that the police are having a problem finding any gun law that was broken as Georgia has no regulation on open carry of weapons or wearing of body armor. That is the biggest part of the story IMO.

He has been charged with "criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possession of a firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies." But there has been no publication that I have found of what felony they are alleging he was attempting to commit.

Here is what he had on him at the time of his arrest at Publix which I know is posted above, but not specifically labelled as what was on the man.

MrFlorida 03-27-2021 08:48 AM

As I always tell my wife, beware of your surroundings, the guy behind you in line at the supermarket may be a crazy person.

John_W 03-27-2021 08:55 AM

LiverpoolWalrus 03-27-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1921651)
If this potential shooter knew that 75% of the people in that supermarket, including managers and employees, were armed he probably wouldn't have thought about what he was about to do.

The same for the Boulder shooter.

There are of course, a few of these idiots that want to die and would still try a mass shooting knowing that they would be killed, but if more people were armed, the damage would be minimized.

To be honest, I’m surprised to hear this from a John Lennon/Beatles fan.

///o-o\\\

Boomer 03-27-2021 09:45 AM

. . .

DeanFL 03-27-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1921688)

HLN was on a couple of mornings ago and I remember hearing that story. I also wondered why they didn't go into more detail or repeat the story. I lived in Atlanta for a year in 1988, and before that Savannah for a total of ten years over two different times. I can say, there is a lot of crazy people in Georgia, even more than Florida has, if you can believe that.

EXACTLY my point. And I really do not want to bring the "R" matter into this, but when looking a bit deeply into this, can't help but see that.

This guy DOES NOT FIT the mass shooting guy the Media wants to promote. I may be cycnical, but IF he did - it would receive much more Press. Also per the CNN article, they said paramedics did a Mental evaluation. I MUST wonder, will the results of this and more psych tests be revealed at some time. Some mass shooters no doubt have a bias towards some, or what to make a name, but I would believe (and hope) that the majority are mentally ill.

LiverpoolWalrus 03-27-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1921722)
Some mass shooters no doubt have a bias towards some, or what to make a name, but I would believe (and hope) that the majority are mentally ill.

Bingo! And that’s exactly where we should be focusing our attention, imo, as much or more than gun “control.”

But as long as mental health treatment remains stigmatized and a sign of supposed weakness, it’s not going to happen.

I’d like to see a full blown Marshall Plan and a flood of funding like MADD accomplished in the ‘80s, showing there’s no shame in seeking help, and making that help free and easily accessible.

Bay Kid 03-28-2021 09:22 AM

They are coming for our guns even though none of my guns have never killed anything.

Stu from NYC 03-28-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1921722)
EXACTLY my point. And I really do not want to bring the "R" matter into this, but when looking a bit deeply into this, can't help but see that.

This guy DOES NOT FIT the mass shooting guy the Media wants to promote. I may be cycnical, but IF he did - it would receive much more Press. Also per the CNN article, they said paramedics did a Mental evaluation. I MUST wonder, will the results of this and more psych tests be revealed at some time. Some mass shooters no doubt have a bias towards some, or what to make a name, but I would believe (and hope) that the majority are mentally ill.

Media only wants to promote crazy white guy who is not a muslim.

If they cannot pigeonhole them into that category will move on to the next one

billethkid 03-28-2021 09:33 AM

The seemingly stifling of open commentary, by far too many special interest groups, would not support "see something say something".

Justus 03-28-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1921663)
This story has been widely reported.
Man arrested after taking 6 guns, body armor into Atlanta Publix

Atlanta man arrested with 6 guns, body armor at Publix grocery store - ABC News

Man arrested at Atlanta grocery with six guns, body armor, police say

Heavily Armed Man Arrested in Atlanta Grocery Store - The New York Times

Man walked into Atlanta grocery store with five guns, body armor, police say | Fox News

The most important detail you omitted is that the police are having a problem finding any gun law that was broken as Georgia has no regulation on open carry of weapons or wearing of body armor. That is the biggest part of the story IMO.

He has been charged with "criminal attempt to commit a felony and six counts of possession of a firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain felonies." But there has been no publication that I have found of what felony they are alleging he was attempting to commit.

Here is what he had on him at the time of his arrest at Publix which I know is posted above, but not specifically labelled as what was on the man.

If gun control laws were the answer, Detroit would be the safest place in the country.