Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Best golf ball for beginners (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/best-golf-ball-beginners-318036/)

Toymeister 03-29-2021 07:19 PM

Best golf ball for beginners

Now that I am vaccinated I am ready for lessons. Which ball would be best for me, or is this a personal thing?

I have gathered 1,500 or so balls during COVID so I have plenty of whatever brand is the'best'.

Tmarkwald 03-29-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1922866)
Now that I am vaccinated I am ready for lessons. Which ball would be best for me, or is this a personal thing?

I have gathered 1,500 or so balls during COVID so I have plenty of whatever brand is the'best'.

Spherical

:a040::a040::MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot:

Bjeanj 03-29-2021 08:37 PM

In my experience, the brand of the golf ball is the last thing to focus on. Getting a consistent swing, understanding which club to use under different circumstances, and (especially) putting are some things to focus on first.

Kenswing 03-29-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

If you have 1,500 balls I would start out using the ones that float.

stanley 03-29-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

You have a lot of balls asking that question!

Polar Bear 03-29-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1922883)
In my experience, the brand of the golf ball is the last thing to focus on. Getting a consistent swing, understanding which club to use under different circumstances, and (especially) putting are some things to focus on first.

100% agree. While you’re learning, close your eyes and pick a ball. You’ll be fine. :)

John_W 03-29-2021 09:06 PM

Topspinmo 03-29-2021 09:18 PM

Quote:

The ones hawked :ho:

Stu from NYC 03-29-2021 09:18 PM

Orange ones are easiest to find

retiredguy123 03-29-2021 09:22 PM

I think the best golf ball is the Titlelist, either ProV1 or ProV1X. Pro golfers who play another ball only do so because they are paid endorsements. They will use any ball if you pay them enough money. The main difference in golf balls is the compression rating. A high compression ball will go farther, but only if you have a very high club head speed. For beginners, one advantage in golf balls is those that have a tougher outer layer that resists cuts and scuffs and lasts longer. But, it doesn't improve your game. Golf ball construction, compression, and other features are regulated by the rules of golf. If you want the best ball, buy a Titleist. My opinion.

thevillages2013 03-30-2021 04:49 AM

Quote:

So you have gathered used golf balls. My best advice is to buy the device that checks to make sure they are round. That is very important in ball flight.Toss the bad ones

joseppe 03-30-2021 04:50 AM

Quote:

See if you can find 13 or 14 golf clubs and then you'll be ready to go.

Stu from NYC 03-30-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joseppe (Post 1922932)
See if you can find 13 or 14 golf clubs and then you'll be ready to go.

To improve your score get yourself a good foot wedge.

MrGolf 03-30-2021 05:27 AM

If you are just starting to play, the choice of balls makes very little difference 90% of the ones you found will be an excellent starting point. Just remember if you hit them into the sawgrass or ponds leave them for others. Too many creatures in there. Once you go through your collection, there are many great recycled balls you can purchase on sites like eBay. Enjoy the game. Have fun. Rake the traps, repair your ball marks on the greens and sand your divots.

La lamy 03-30-2021 05:29 AM

I'm just a casual putter user so far and I find there is a big difference in how different balls react while putting. I would suggest sticking to the same type of ball for a while, especially for putting consistency.

Rwirish 03-30-2021 05:39 AM

Ones that float. How would one collect 1500 golf balls and why?

CCristella 03-30-2021 05:41 AM

Round white ones

lildfromnyc 03-30-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley (Post 1922889)
You have a lot of balls asking that question!

Haha

LoisR 03-30-2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmarkwald (Post 1922871)
Spherical

:a040::a040::MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot:

Try a good old fashioned Spalding. Impossible to miss and gives a great roll. Good luck.

Bay Kid 03-30-2021 06:29 AM

Old soft balls.

Syd2008 03-30-2021 06:31 AM

Stay away from any balls you found in water. Golf balls absorb water and even more in warmer weather. All others give a try and see how they feel. Have fun!!!

jbrown132 03-30-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

I once heard Johnny Miller say find a ball that you like the feel of. As amateurs forget about compression ratings and all that as distances will not vary much. Once you find that ball stick with it. I have played a bunch of different balls over the years and finally settled on the Bridgestone Tour B RXS. It is designed for swing speeds of less than 105 MPH. Experiment, it’s a personal thing.

DaleDivine 03-30-2021 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 1922970)

Why would anyone use a floater ball over a water hazard? If it goes in the water are you gonna stand there for a week for it to maybe float to shore?
Just use an old beat up ball.:boxing2::boxing2:

Most of the time the courses are really crowded and slow play happens.
I usually walk around the bushes looking for balls just to kill time waiting to hit. (and I'm ready to hit when it's my turn). Hence, I have over 4000 golf balls in my garage.
:a040::a040:

Grochest 03-30-2021 06:39 AM

It’s perfectly fine to pick up lost golf balls, but you should first
wait until they stop rolling.

CoachKandSportsguy 03-30-2021 06:40 AM

LOL! at the replies! for news balls for a beginner, the cheapest as it won't cost alot for lost balls, which will be many, boxes of 15 balls on sale for $10 each. . . ten years in and I still buy these and save money for better clubs or tee times.

For found balls, Titlist and Taylor made TPX, for all the others, by condition, wear and scratches on surface for practice rounds, which are all rounds for amateurs. . .

And keep repeating after seeing golf look easy on tv, I am still an amateur, I am still and amateur!

sportsguy

CFrance 03-30-2021 06:45 AM

Quote:

I rate myself a rank beginner. My problem on the executive courses (I've never played a championship course) was overhitting the green. I had bought a brand of balls designed for distance. I switched to a brand designed for slower speed/more accuracy. It helped.

Do I know what I'm talking about? No, so don't @ me. It's just that I don't overhit the green using the slower ball. Maybe someday I'll develop some skill. I doubt it, but that's my story. Good luck.

Mikeodonnell73 03-30-2021 06:58 AM

Stanley good statement.

TomPerry 03-30-2021 07:00 AM

Precept Laddie, $18 for 2 dozen at Walmart! A soft ball that performs well!

GOLFER54 03-30-2021 07:05 AM

Just keep a dozen, and sell the rest.

noslices1 03-30-2021 07:08 AM

He doesn’t need to buy any.

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1922904)
I think the best golf ball is the Titlelist, either ProV1 or ProV1X. Pro golfers who play another ball only do so because they are paid endorsements. They will use any ball if you pay them enough money. The main difference in golf balls is the compression rating. A high compression ball will go farther, but only if you have a very high club head speed. For beginners, one advantage in golf balls is those that have a tougher outer layer that resists cuts and scuffs and lasts longer. But, it doesn't improve your game. Golf ball construction, compression, and other features are regulated by the rules of golf. If you want the best ball, buy a Titleist. My opinion.

If you read the original post, you will see that he found 1500 golf balls, so he would not need to buy any.

Waltdisney4life 03-30-2021 07:21 AM

I never play with a golf ball that I find. Once the ball has a taste of freedom it’ll keep trying to get away from you for the rest of the match!

Mortal1 03-30-2021 07:22 AM

The ones that float are stolen...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1922884)
If you have 1,500 balls I would start out using the ones that float.

if they have "the villages" on them. If you have them return them to the driving range at Sarasota or Lopez. They also only go about 82% the distance of a normal ball.

PlanetCitizen 03-30-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

If you have a Titleist AVX in your bucket, try that one for a round. I have found that for high handicappers the Titleist ProV1 and other "Pro" balls spin way too much and curve off line. The pros have the ability to hit the ball straight so they are looking for spin to keep the ball on the green. I'm looking for a ball that doesn't spin so that I can keep it near the fairway. The AVX spins less off the tee.

Hape2Bhr 03-30-2021 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 1922970)

I belong to a 9 hole course up north that has trouble on both sides of every hole. While waiting to hit our next shot we may look for balls. I have not bought a golf ball since 2011...keep the ProV1's, Chrome Softs, Tpx's. All the others go to the 1st Tee. Normally find 600 to 800 a year; and that's not much compared to some of the other guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by La lamy (Post 1922964)
I'm just a casual putter user so far and I find there is a big difference in how different balls react while putting. I would suggest sticking to the same type of ball for a while, especially for putting consistency.

I would agree with this. Try your different balls and see which feels better to you while putting. Whatever you choose, will at this point, make little difference on your full shots.

Chillin Hacker 03-30-2021 07:42 AM

The best ball for beginners is the cheapest one. All the hype means little to the newbie and the features in the expensive balls are more beneficial to skilled players. That being said, and you having all those balls, Titleist Pro V1 are considered by many as the premier ball.

024engine 03-30-2021 07:48 AM

if you are a beginner with a slow swing speed, you want a low compression ball. Callaway soft-feel Pinnacle soft you can have your swing speed checked at One of the two golf shops available in The Villages.

LouG@619 03-30-2021 08:10 AM

As a beginner, use the cheapest ones you can buy. Walmart sells Nitro ultimate distance for 4.97 a dozen, or 19.97 for 45 balls. That s less than 50 cents a ball and they do fly long and straight

dtennent 03-30-2021 08:43 AM

I have found that expensive balls sink just as fast as cheap balls once they hit water.

Scbang 03-30-2021 08:43 AM

Try Wilson Duo ( softest ) or Callaway Supersoft ( similar ). Avoid ProV1s or high end golf balls Pros use. They will checkup on you when least expected with high spin. The long game won't be much different but chipping can be affected by the kind of balls you play. The above mentioned balls are good compromise. In fact Pinnacle and Topflite will give you more rolls than anything else and will never spin enough to stop it on the green. Good Luck with your game you will enjoy and be hooked and dreamed of playing at least for first 10 years.. :-)

Uphillputt330 03-30-2021 09:03 AM

Wilson Duo balls and Line on ball

I prefer Wilson Duo balls — nice and soft.

Whatever ball you chose, I would take a Sharpee and make a line on the straight ball and then use that line to lineup your putts