Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Tire pressure gauge (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tire-pressure-gauge-318447/)

Scbang 04-08-2021 07:34 PM

Tire pressure gauge

Hi, does golf cart tire use the same gauge as cars? Just ordered a pair from Amazon and it says my cart is only 12 psi ( way too low ) whereas my SUV is 40 ( seems right ).
Just by looking, my cart does not look under inflated. Any thoughts? Should it be around 20 psi?

Aloha1 04-08-2021 07:36 PM

Yes, same gauge. golf cart tires should be about 22-23 psi per Villages Golf Carts.

vintageogauge 04-08-2021 07:38 PM

Golf car tires do use the same type gauge as a car or bike. If it says 12 lbs that is probably what is in there, borrow a neighbor or friends gauge and double check the accuracy of your new gauge. Tires don't always look low when they are in fact low.

tophcfa 04-08-2021 07:38 PM

Yup, same gauge. I like to keep our golf carts between 29 and 31 PSI. Valve stems seem to have problems with the Florida heat and humidity and occasionally fail to let you put air into the tire efficiently. I ordered a 24 pack of replacement valve stems on Amazon and swap out the stems every couple of years and the tires thank me for it. Drive on : )

Topspinmo 04-08-2021 08:25 PM

Temp changes and time affect tire pressure unless you’re tires are filled with nitrogen. Why you should check tire pressure monthly. Try to find gauge that least reads in 1 pound increments. Even then they came be two pounds off minimum. I found for my cart tires the sweet spot 26 PSI. They heavier or lighter the cart it may vary few pounds and Of course the type to tires on the cart>

tuccillo 04-08-2021 08:36 PM

No, that is not exactly true. The ideal gas law still applies. "Air" is 78% nitrogen. The nitrogen or "air" in your tires will respond to temperature changes the same. However, nitrogen filled tires may have less evaporated moisture than "air" filled tires and this can contribute to somewhat reduced pressure changes with temperature changes. It depends on the ambient dew point when the tires were filled. Regardless, it is not worth worrying about for non-racing applications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1927872)
Temp changes and time affect tire pressure unless you’re tires are filled with nitrogen. Why you should check tire pressure monthly. Try to find gauge that least reads in 1 pound increments. Even then they came be two pounds off minimum. I found for my cart tires the sweet spot 26 PSI. They heavier or lighter the cart it may vary few pounds and Of course the type to tires on the cart>

Topspinmo 04-08-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scbang (Post 1927854)
Hi, does golf cart tire use the same gauge as cars? Just ordered a pair from Amazon and it says my cart is only 12 psi ( way too low ) whereas my SUV is 40 ( seems right ).
Just by looking, my cart does not look under inflated. Any thoughts? Should it be around 20 psi?

IMO 40 sounds high for you’re SUV, but I would double check the information on door post if you haven’t already? To high pressure with cause over heating and center tire wear?

IMO 20 may be too low if you have gas cart with 10 inch 60 series tires for the rear. More than half of the weight on rear tires if the tire pressure too low or too high you will get uneven tire wear.

Reason I brought this up? You don’t sound to sure of what proper pressure should be?

Topspinmo 04-08-2021 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuccillo (Post 1927874)
No, that is not true. The ideal gas law still applies. "Air" is 78% nitrogen. The pressure in your tires will respond to temperature changes the same whether you have "air" or a nitrogen fill.

But it’s not 100% nitrogen, which will loose pressure at less rate till air compressor air equal out the %.

tuccillo 04-08-2021 08:48 PM

Nitrogen, by virtue of molecule size, will "leak" out somewhat slower than "air". However, your statement was that temperature changes don't impact nitrogen filled tires. That is really not true. If you can get nitrogen filled tires for no additional cost then that is good but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1927878)
But it’s not 100% nitrogen, which will loose pressure at less rate till air compressor air equal out the %.

tophcfa 04-08-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1927872)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuccillo (Post 1927874)
No, that is not exactly true. The ideal gas law still applies. "Air" is 78% nitrogen. The nitrogen or "air" in your tires will respond to temperature changes the same. However, nitrogen filled tires may have less evaporated moisture than "air" filled tires and this can contribute to somewhat reduced pressure changes with temperature changes. It depends on the ambient dew point when the tires were filled. Regardless, it is not worth worrying about for non-racing applications.

Could somebody please forward the above to Roger Goodell : )

Topspinmo 04-08-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuccillo (Post 1927882)
Nitrogen, by virtue of molecule size, will "leak" out somewhat slower than "air". However, your statement was that temperature changes don't impact nitrogen filled tires. That is really not true.

And my next sentence said check monthly. Which IMO means regardless of the theory still need to check them. Which IMO quite few people don’t?

I found/IMO when my car was new and tires was filled with nitrogen, nitrogen filled tires pressure would react to temperature changes, but the pressure would not loose air as fast as compressor filled tires. Basically when the temperature came back up the nitrogen filled tire would read approximately the same. Where regular air filled tires would require top off more often. I agree after you top them off so many times it makes no difference, it will loose air at same rate.

Topspinmo 04-08-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1927884)
Could somebody please forward the above to Roger Goodell : )

Ok, I’ll bit?

Why would Goodell up in the clouds know anything MORE about tires, air pressure, and tire gauge than he knows about football?:faint:

tophcfa 04-08-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1927887)
Ok, I’ll bit?

Why would Goodell up in the clouds know anything MORE about tires, air pressure, and tire gauge than he knows about football?:faint:

Well, he runs a multi-billion dollar industry and has adequate resources to get the real answers to simple scientific facts. I guess one only wants to get the real facts if the answers fit their agenda?????

jswirs 04-09-2021 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scbang (Post 1927854)

Tires have the maximum amount of PSI embossed on the side wall of the tire. Mine say 35 lbs. I keep mine at about 30 psi.

Professor 04-09-2021 04:47 AM

Yes, same gauge. I learned the hard way that golf cart tires may look fine even when they are underinflated. 22-24 pounds is recommended I was told by the Villages Golf Cart Service Center.