Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Condo or Home/Villa? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/condo-home-villa-319086/)

Broncosap 04-28-2021 07:22 PM

Condo or Home/Villa?

As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.
I would love to get feedback to help me figure this dilemma out.

CFrance 04-28-2021 07:28 PM

People like their privacy. Shared walls don't appeal to many. Many retirees can afford the maintenance on a single-family home. And there are some attached townhouses in TV, and some are for sale.

JohnN 04-28-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1936791)
People like their privacy. Shared walls don't appeal to many. Many retirees can afford the maintenance on a single-family home. And there are some attached townhouses in TV, and some are for sale.

Ditto.

I've got a villa with a very low maintenance yard. Other stuff, I deal with it.
I lived in apartments when I was younger and didn't care much for loud neighbors, etc. sharing my wall, so I like a bit of space even if it's not all that much. My lot is a corner and oriented so it feels extremely private.

retiredguy123 04-28-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncosap (Post 1936790)
As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.

I agree. I would rather have a condo, and I have considered moving somewhere else to buy one. But, regarding cost, I don't think it is a toss up. Condo fees are typically more expensive than living in a single family house in The Villages. The overall cost of living here is cheaper than anywhere else I have lived. But, I wish The Villages would provide more maintenance, such as lawn maintenance, irrigation, exterior painting, roofing, etc. Other Florida communities offer these services.

mikreb 04-28-2021 07:58 PM

Single family homes in The Villages are a better investment than condos. Prior years have seen $10k per year increase in resale price. With the newer developments in the south home model prices have increased $25-$30k in the last 6 months. Home models selling in Hawkins/Bradford/Chitty Chatty in December 2020 for under $250 are selling in St Catherines for $275+ today.

2newyorkers 04-28-2021 07:58 PM

I think all or most of the condos are 2 floors.

Garywt 04-28-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncosap (Post 1936790)

Amenity fees vs condo fees and what you get for that fee is the question. As for your items, if buying new you are most likely good on the roof, painting you hire someone, lawns do yourself or hire someone, sprinklers are mostly carefree, cable would be the same at either. In a condo you would not have the pools, golf courses, restaurants and miles of golf cart paths that the Villages offer.

dkintzer1 04-29-2021 05:46 AM

To each his own. I have lived in single homes and two condos. I love my manageable single home and would never choose to live in a condo full-time ever again. However, there are those who feel the opposite. Neither is right or wrong. Just preference.

crash 04-29-2021 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1936794)
I agree. I would rather have a condo, and I have considered moving somewhere else to buy one. But, regarding cost, I don't think it is a toss up. Condo fees are typically more expensive than living in a single family house in The Villages. The overall cost of living here is cheaper than anywhere else I have lived. But, I wish The Villages would provide more maintenance, such as lawn maintenance, irrigation, exterior painting, roofing, etc. Other Florida communities offer these services.

Look at Lakeside Landing the fees are $303 a month this includes all landscaping, pest control, landscape water, all exterior maintenance (painting, roof), trash, and your amenities. Add this up and you will see it is a lot less expensive. The Villages, $129 a month for landscape and pest control, $248 a month for water, trash and amenity fee, $7,000 every 7 years to paint, $25,000 every 20 years or less for a new roof.

MollyJo 04-29-2021 05:48 AM

So, once you purchase your condo you realize you live next to a bossy, gossipy neighbor who is up in your lane 24/7. When you refuse to follow their made up rules, they curse & threaten you. My cameras get installed May 11 over my cars & both entrances. #regretful

Papa_lecki 04-29-2021 06:04 AM

It’s also about choice. I live in a cul d sac (6 homes). 3 of my neighbors LOVE working in their yard. They cut their grass and do all the landscaping. 3 of us hire it out.
My dad and father in law still cut their own grass, they love doing it.

Coal Miner 04-29-2021 06:07 AM

Steps, condos have steps

Girlcopper 04-29-2021 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyJo (Post 1936869)
So, once you purchase your condo you realize you live next to a bossy, gossipy neighbor who is up in your lane 24/7. When you refuse to follow their made up rules, they curse & threaten you. My cameras get installed May 11 over my cars & both entrances. #regretful

I dont know what kind of neighborhood you live in but I lived in condos for almost my whole life and never never got cursed at by any neighbors. Nor have I ever had the need to set up cameras. You get what you pay for. Pick a more upscale neighborhood

J1ceasar 04-29-2021 06:17 AM

Same bossy neighbor in a home next door.

Shirleyq 04-29-2021 06:44 AM

Condo's vs home.

I'd much rather have a condo than a home. The "Powers to be" in The Villages built "Town houses" in Spanish Springs yrs ago & couldn't sell them because of stairs inside each Townhouse. Consequently they have been afraid of the concept since that time. Somebody doesn't understand the difference between townhouses & condo's. I love to see "Luxury condo's" built.