Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   OmniTours (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/omnitours-466/)
-   -   CDC Clarifies Letter to Cruise Lines (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/omnitours-466/cdc-clarifies-letter-cruise-lines-319149/)

OmniTours 04-30-2021 04:14 PM

CDC Clarifies Letter to Cruise Lines

CDC Clarifies Letter to Cruise Lines

The CDC issued a clarification of their letter to the cruise lines to Cruise Industry News this afternoon and stated that it looks at a timeline of passenger voyages by mid-July.

According to Caitlin Shockey, CDC spokesperson, over the past month, senior leadership from the CDC has met twice-weekly with representatives from cruise lines to discuss the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO). Within these meetings, participants asked questions and discussed the fastest path back to sailing without compromising safety, she said. Today, in response to the industry’s feedback, the CDC announced five key clarifications with the existing CSO framework.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

billethkid 04-30-2021 05:49 PM

Proof of vaccination required!

Stu from NYC 05-01-2021 08:18 AM

When they start up again and we do not need to wear masks on board we will be booking several.

Hopefully they will not require us to only get off the ship with cruise line tours. If so can deal with that for a time.

For caribbean we prefer going on our own to beaches coming and going as we please.

Arctic Fox 05-01-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1937898)
Hopefully they will not require us to only get off the ship with cruise line tours. If so can deal with that for a time.

We have taken only two "cruise line" tours. The first was okay but overpriced, and we spent half of the time waiting for people to get on and off the bus. The second was basically a bus ride to the mall, going past the local points of interest but not stopping to enjoy them. Never again!

I have heard that this restriction is designed to prevent passengers bringing the virus back on to the ship (rather than taking it off the ship into the local community) but one would think (with everyone fully vaccinated) that using lateral flow tests before reboarding would suffice (if the cruise lines really want to lift the restriction!)

Stu from NYC 05-01-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1937910)
We have taken only two "cruise line" tours. The first was okay but overpriced, and we spent half of the time waiting for people to get on and off the bus. The second was basically a bus ride to the mall, going past the local points of interest but not stopping to enjoy them. Never again!

I have heard that this restriction is designed to prevent passengers bringing the virus back on to the ship (rather than taking it off the ship into the local community) but one would think (with everyone fully vaccinated) that using lateral flow tests before reboarding would suffice (if the cruise lines really want to lift the restriction!)

Since cruise lines typically mark up tours 100% they will want to do this for our "protection". They already use scare tactics that we will miss the ship if we go off on our own. Just use common sense and get back well before sail time.

Would much rather go on a tour in a van with say 15 people than a bus with 50 taking forever to unload and than load passengers.

2newyorkers 05-01-2021 09:28 AM

We also for the most part, do not take cruise ship tours. Just to make you aware some cruise lines will match the price of a private tour if you can find it cheaper.

We have a cruise booked to the Caribbean to check the waters so to speak. One of our main questions is will we be able to just get off the ship to walk around on our own.

Arctic Fox 05-01-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 1937958)
...some cruise lines will match the price of a private tour if you can find it cheaper.

Interesting. I have not heard this before. On which cruise lines have you experienced this?

Bill14564 05-01-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1937651)
Proof of vaccination required!

I read the article twice and didn't see anything that said "proof of vaccination required."

2newyorkers 05-01-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1937977)
Interesting. I have not heard this before. On which cruise lines have you experienced this?

Princess and I also think they give a Veterans discount.

billethkid 05-01-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 1938125)
Princess and I also think they give a Veterans discount.

Yes Princess gives a veteran's discount.

Stu from NYC 05-01-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1937977)

Carnival will do it but it has to be an exact match. Any slight difference and they will not.

The problem is you go with the cruise line on a large bus.

Tmarkwald 05-01-2021 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1938136)
Yes Princess gives a veteran's discount.

So does Royal and Celebrity..

Tmarkwald 05-01-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 1938088)
I read the article twice and didn't see anything that said "proof of vaccination required."

Its says the cruiseline must attest that the passengers and crew are vaccinated.

So, yeah, you'll need proof.

Bill14564 05-01-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmarkwald (Post 1938205)
Its says the cruiseline must attest that the passengers and crew are vaccinated.

So, yeah, you'll need proof.

That is an assumption as to what the cruise lines will do in order to make that attestation. It may turn out to be correct but today it is only an assumption.

GeriS 05-02-2021 05:34 AM

I won’t ever be cruising if vaccine is required for something with a 99.xx% recovery rate & cures that are available. We are being played.