Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dessicants for mildew and mold prevention while up north (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dessicants-mildew-mold-prevention-while-up-north-319152/)

Laker14 04-30-2021 05:09 PM

Dessicants for mildew and mold prevention while up north

I am interested in hearing what strategies the northern migratory Villagers use to try to combat mildew and mold while up north for the summer months. I already have a humidistat, and will set thermostat for 80F, and humidistat for 60. I have had discussions with others suggesting the use of desiccants (charcoal, other products), in closets where the air might not flow well enough to otherwise keep it at bay.

Ideas? Specific products? Sources?

Thanks

graciegirl 04-30-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 1937640)
I am interested in hearing what strategies the northern migratory Villagers use to try to combat mildew and mold while up north for the summer months. I already have a humidistat, and will set thermostat for 80F, and humidistat for 60. I have had discussions with others suggesting the use of desiccants (charcoal, other products), in closets where the air might not flow well enough to otherwise keep it at bay.

Thanks

Keep your air conditioning set on 83.

Laker14 04-30-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1937642)
Keep your air conditioning set on 83.

My HVAC tech said 80-60..why do you recommend 83?

Garywt 04-30-2021 07:29 PM

We keep the AC at 80 and the humidity under 50 and all has been fine for 2 years.

Decadeofdave 04-30-2021 07:43 PM

Set thermostat on 80F, humidity we stay around 60 %
( my attic fans are controlled by measuring outside/inside humidity differential and attic temperature)

Laker14 04-30-2021 08:07 PM

This wasn't intended to be a thread about what settings to use for temp and humidity. I am asking about desiccants to augment that, and what products folks use.
Thanks again.

asianthree 04-30-2021 08:09 PM

Since 2010 kept 80/60. But every year anything plastic became brittle. Combs, brushes, hair dryer, sunglasses. First 3 not a big deal, but sunglasses cost was big $$$.
In October put in a new system, mentioned the issues. Had us set at 78/60. Installer said cost is minimum, and should help with less brittle sunglasses.
So far cost is only a few dollars difference per month more than the last 10 years.

graciegirl 04-30-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 1937649)
My HVAC tech said 80-60..why do you recommend 83?

We have lived here since 2008. The first four years we were snowbirds and were told to set the air at 83. We were gone for months at a time and had no issues. We did not have a separate dehumidifier, just air conditioning.

Garywt 04-30-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 1937675)
This wasn't intended to be a thread about what settings to use for temp and humidity. I am asking about desiccants to augment that, and what products folks use.
Thanks again.

You asked what we do or use and we are telling you what we set the temp and humidity at in the thermostat as that is all we do. We do not use anything else as we do not have the need for anything else.

Hoosierb4 05-01-2021 05:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks

We've never had any problems in our 10 years as snowbirds. Just set the thermostat at 81 degrees and leave closet doors open. But, if you want something extra, get a dehumidifier and place it in the shower or bathtub (with drain open) so there's somewhere for the water to go. The dehumidifier will take out gallons of water every day. No dessicant can remove that kind of water, unless you get a truckload.

chenick 05-01-2021 05:03 AM

6 yrs snowbird, gone June thru December. Set temp 81 all ceiling fans on low, all closet doors open. Also have home watch twice a month to check on thing and turn on water run everything, flush toilets turn water off. Never any problems.

kidnerkim 05-01-2021 05:27 AM

I also put Damp Rid hanging bags in closets & their tubs in shower bathtub & laundry tub

La lamy 05-01-2021 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend tells me he's used kitty litter in closets that don't get much air flow and this product in photo. Says it works.

HJBeck 05-01-2021 05:53 AM

Mold and Mildew Prevention

Quote:

Thanks

We set our AC at 85 degrees but run a dehumidifier set eat 40-45 percent relative humidity level. We let it self drain. Mold will not grow below this level. Our dehumidifier is a 70 pint unit. We also leave all closet doors open. We have never had any problems.

Rwirish 05-01-2021 06:00 AM

Set you AC on 80. No need for anything else.