Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   British car repair (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/british-car-repair-319160/)

Wvtlm 04-30-2021 09:25 PM

British car repair

I have a MG Midget and am wits end on getting to run right. I am considering on bringing it to Glen's MG and British Car Repair in St Petersburg. Anyone have any experience with them?

Topspinmo 04-30-2021 10:44 PM

Not running right not really clue to the problem?

Two Bills 05-01-2021 02:45 AM

Old British cars always respond well to a 'Damned good Thrashing.'
You Americans treat your problem cars far to leniently.
Please watch video for correct treatment for stroppy cars!

Basil thrashes his car - Fawlty Towers - BBC - YouTube

pjwenz 05-01-2021 06:08 AM

Have used AG Auto Repair, Leesburg and Shannons Auto in Ocala.

Arctic Fox 05-01-2021 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1937709)
Not running right not really clue to the problem?

British cars from that era never did run right, not even when new. It would take away all of their character :-)

karostay 05-01-2021 06:59 AM

Try Auto Master in Leesburg foreign auto repair they service my Benz I'm happy

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 05-01-2021 07:05 AM

Several of my friends and I owned several British sports cars back when we were young and foolish. Every one of us had a tool kit in the trunk. One friend owned a Jaguar XKE. He only got to drive it on those rare days that it wasn't in the shop. They are fun little cars but they require constant maintenance.

villagetinker 05-01-2021 08:52 AM

These cars were known for electrical problems. If this appears to be what you are having, I might be able to help. I am assuming you have the documentation (aka wiring diagrams) for this car.

GrumpyOldMan 05-01-2021 08:57 AM

I can teach you how to set up and balance the SU carbs if that is the problem. Villagetinker is correct they do tend to have electrical problems and be careful with brake fluids, the original seals on the brakes will be destroyed by modern brake fluids.

They require almost constant maintenance, but are a lot of fun to drive.

DAVES 05-01-2021 06:35 PM

I had a GT6. It was well worn when I STUPIDLY bought it. I don't think I ever drove it 300 miles without a repair. Tools, you needed three sets, sae standard, metric and wintworth.

You should learn to repair it yourself. Reason is fairly simple. When, you bring it into a shop unless they specialize in your car, they will not know how to fit it either. Many will not even try.

wisbad1 05-01-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1937815)
Try Auto Master in Leesburg foreign auto repair they service my Benz I'm happy

Mine too, great place.

Topspinmo 05-01-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1937718)
Old British cars always respond well to a 'Damned good Thrashing.'
You Americans treat your problem cars far to leniently.
Please watch video for correct treatment for stroppy cars!

Basil thrashes his car - Fawlty Towers - BBC - YouTube

So says the kitty car drivers :icon_wink:

Topspinmo 05-01-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1937763)
British cars from that era never did run right, not even when new. It would take away all of their character :-)

Disagree, I had Ford cortina when I was stationed in England. After I cleaned carburetor and adjusted, set valve lash it ran like top. But I agree MG is no Ford cortina.

Two Bills 05-02-2021 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1938211)
So says the kitty car drivers :icon_wink:

From someone who drove a Dagenham Dustbin!!:ohdear:

Uberschaf 05-02-2021 03:53 AM

I wore a t-shirt in the 70's that said "Lucas Prince of Darkness" I owned a AH bug eyed Sprite and a Morris Minor convertible. Hit of bump and the lights go out, hit another and the horn beeps. Lucas ignition.