Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Amateur Radio (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/amateur-radio-319185/)

Philipd411 05-01-2021 08:00 PM

Amateur Radio

Any Amateur Radio operators here? We just moved here am I am planning on joining the club. But right now I am looking for someone that has installed a flag pole antenna? Any recommendations?

EdFNJ 05-01-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipd411 (Post 1938195)
Any Amateur Radio operators here? We just moved here am I am planning on joining the club. But right now I am looking for someone that has installed a flag pole antenna? Any recommendations?

I have been for about 55 years (since Jr High aka Middle school) but haven't been active probably for the last 15. Even still have a 2meter repeater still giving out my calls up north. I know OF someone who did a flagpole antenna but don't know him personally who lives 2 doors down from my sister in Gilchrist only because she recently told me about him. Not into ham radio clubs though but I know there is one. Always was a CW guy when I messed around on 20 meters and at one time was able to copy 55wpm+ in my head. Now I barely can do 15 when I listen on the web. When I speak to my sister I'll ask her to ask him if he'd mind someone contacting him.

73's
Ed

RICH1 05-02-2021 05:33 AM

Install a dipole antenna in your attic! Keeps the "hood" looking upscale...keep your zig zags turns at 90degrees...

DavidCovid 05-02-2021 03:44 PM

Are you are telling me that my 40 meter, 3 element, 32 foot beam, sitting on a 80 foot ROHN Tower will violate any ordinances within The Villages ? Glad my tower has a crank as I put it up only after 9:00pm when everyone on my block goes to sleep. I guess my 2K, Yaesu Linear will really upset my neighbors.

retiredguy123 05-02-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidCovid (Post 1938568)
Are you are telling me that my 40 meter, 3 element, 32 foot beam, sitting on a 80 foot ROHN Tower will violate any ordinances within The Villages ? Glad my tower has a crank as I put it up only after 9:00pm when everyone on my block goes to sleep. I guess my 2K, Yaesu Linear will really upset my neighbors.

Lawn ornaments are not allowed.

Djean1981 05-02-2021 04:33 PM

I have an Expert license. I will not be there full time for a while... But joining a group sounds interesting. :)

427dave 05-02-2021 05:05 PM

Quote:

I installed a Hustler 6BTV 10-80 meter vertical, then slid a 20 foot length of PVC 2.5 inch schedule 40 pipe over it with a pulley at the top so I can raise my flag on it, therefore it qualifies as a flag pole and is legal. I submitted a flag pole request to the ARC and was approved to not exceed 22 feet. 80 meters does not work very good, but the other bands work fair. I also belong to the local club, but we have not had any meetings since Covid.

Welcome to The Villages,
Dave, W4WNG

EdFNJ 05-02-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427dave (Post 1938597)
I installed a Hustler 6BTV 10-80 meter vertical, then slid a 20 foot length of PVC 2.5 inch schedule 40 pipe over it with a pulley at the top so I can raise my flag on it, therefore it qualifies as a flag pole and is legal. I submitted a flag pole request to the ARC and was approved to not exceed 22 feet. 80 meters does not work very good, but the other bands work fair. I also belong to the local club, but we have not had any meetings since Covid.

Welcome to The Villages,
Dave, W4WNG

Did you run any radials ?

MrFlorida 05-02-2021 09:32 PM

Wire dipole in the attic.

GregP 05-03-2021 05:46 AM

Stoage

Interesting!
My radios have been in storage since I moved down here 8 years ago. Sorry to say I did not find the local club very inviting. Went to two of their outings and tried to talk to people but they were not very inviting, so gave up. I just dropped my membership to the ARRL, which was in my back yard when I lived in CT. figured that those days are gone. Well now maybe a little interest is back.

Besides the Antenna problem, what about running the feed line?

On a side note. I have been thinking about getting back into shortwave DXing did that back in the 60 and 70s had tons of stuff, my mail box looked like the UN. Anyone still do any of that or is that pretty much dead nowadays?

Philipd411 05-03-2021 06:18 AM

It will look like a flag pole, you won't even know it is an antenna

Hiltongrizz11 05-03-2021 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregP (Post 1938703)
Interesting!
My radios have been in storage since I moved down here 8 years ago. Sorry to say I did not find the local club very inviting. Went to two of their outings and tried to talk to people but they were not very inviting, so gave up. I just dropped my membership to the ARRL, which was in my back yard when I lived in CT. figured that those days are gone. Well now maybe a little interest is back.

Besides the Antenna problem, what about running the feed line?

On a side note. I have been thinking about getting back into shortwave DXing did that back in the 60 and 70s had tons of stuff, my mail box looked like the UN. Anyone still do any of that or is that pretty much dead nowadays?

I am a newbie. Very new. I live in Summerfield and I would love to be able to chat with you so maybe you can help me learn. Please contact me if you're up for such a thing

davephan 05-03-2021 06:37 AM

No one mentioned a remotely controlled HF station. Today, there are many ways you can remotely control a station over the Internet. The technology is there today, that wasn’t there a decade ago for remotely controlling an HF station.

For an example of a high end remotely controlled HF station, watch the W2RE videos on Facebook and YouTube. He has a remotely controlled HF station setup with 7 towers from 150 to 200 feet tall with stacked monobanders and rotating towers. It’s one of the most powerful HF stations with his huge antennas on 22 acres of land overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in Maine. He operates that remote station from New York, 500 miles away. His signal was 20 to 30 over S-9 in Minnesota when he used a kilowatt and still S-9 when using only 1 watt on SSB on 20 meters.

It can be very expensive to set up a good station on rural property somewhere, that also has decent Internet service. The new low orbiting satellite Internet service makes this more possible to do, since most rural areas have lousy Internet service. The land is cheaper in rural areas and there’s less restrictions or no restrictions to set up towers. You can drastically lower the remote HF station cost if you can share the site at another ham’s house that’s already has antennas. There are also remotely controlled stations that you can use on a pay basis, and some on a free basis. Check out remotehams.com.

I have a remotely controlled HF station in Minnesota that I use from Florida, because of the HOA rules in Florida. The antenna is isn’t very good, but it’s better than nothing. I’m thinking about relocating the remotely controlled station to a location where I could have a decent tower for a beam, elevated wire antennas for the lower bands, and a high power amplifier. The technology is there today to do all that, you just have to be able and willing to spend the money to set up a good antenna system and the remotely controlled equipment.

john.np2b 05-03-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

Hi, John NP2B here in the Villages. Give me a call at 352 633-2910 and I can help you on all counts! 73, J

BlackhawksFan 05-03-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philipd411 (Post 1938731)
It will look like a flag pole, you won't even know it is an antenna

Just like in Hogan's Heroes