Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How to manage payment for large ticket items for sale (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-manage-payment-large-ticket-items-sale-319210/)

jojo 05-02-2021 03:01 PM

How to manage payment for large ticket items for sale

We are going to list our golf cart for sale and I'm wondering what is the safest way to manage the payment for the sale.

retiredguy123 05-02-2021 03:05 PM

Obviously, cash is always good.

But, another option is to meet at the buyer's bank and get a cashier's check with your name on it as the payee.

jojo 05-02-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1938547)
Obviously, cash is always good.

But, another option is to meet at the buyer's bank and get a cashier's check with your name on it as the payee.

Thank you. I thought of a cashiers check but I like the idea of meeting at our bank.

JMintzer 05-02-2021 03:21 PM

Whatcha' selling? I'm looking for a nice clean late model cart... ;)

rjm1cc 05-02-2021 04:08 PM

A money order or a casher check (The buyer would pay his bank and they would give him one of their checks made out to you.)
As mentioned best to do the transaction at the bank so you can cash the check. But then you might not want to leave the bank with the cash so the casher check might be best.

thelegges 05-02-2021 04:32 PM

We met at their bank, and a cashier check was given to us, from chase bank. We deposited in citizens first, next door. We also had a bill of sale that we included with our taxes, copy of check, since it was such a large transaction

vintageogauge 05-02-2021 04:33 PM

I once sold a car to an individual that wanted to pay with a personal check. I called my insurance agent, at the time it was Erie Insurance, he advised that if the check was no good it would be considered theft and Erie would cover it. Not too many people are going to take a chance bouncing a check on a big ticket item as it's a felony and carries stiff penalties.

tophcfa 05-02-2021 08:10 PM

Cash or bank check. Anything else is unacceptable. There is no title, once the buyer drives away in the cart you are out of luck if another form of payment turns out to be no good. The only way i would accept a personal check would be if the cart stays in my garage, with the keys in my possession, until the check clears.

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-02-2021 09:59 PM

We paid by personal check for our golf cart. But we bought it from the guy across the street from us. I'm sure he knew that we weren't going to rip him off, especially since he knows where we live :)

Two Bills 05-03-2021 02:04 AM

Gift vouchers are very popular at the moment with certain transactions!:icon_wink:

RICH1 05-03-2021 04:48 AM

Never use PAYPAL.....PayPal will also tell you Never use PayPal and explain to you how the scam works!

JoelJohnson 05-03-2021 04:58 AM

If you decide to go the cash route, you can use the Sheriff's parking lot, they have cameras and I don't think anyone would try to rob you there.

scottiesrgreat@gmail.com 05-03-2021 04:59 AM

First - write up a simple BILL OF SALE and make sure to get signatures before the completion of the transaction!

Years ago - when my father passed - I sold his truck. I had the ‘Bill of Sale’ - signed by both parties - and we all met at the buyer’s bank - for transfer of funds.

noslices1 05-03-2021 05:40 AM

Cash

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo (Post 1938541)
We are going to list our golf cart for sale and I'm wondering what is the safest way to manage the payment for the sale.

Cash is the safest, but if you are selling it to someone who lives in The Villages, a personal check should be ok. Be sure and make a Bill of Sale with their name, address and phone number.

jojo 05-03-2021 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 1938558)
Whatcha' selling? I'm looking for a nice clean late model cart... ;)

Sent you a PM.