Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   are all the restaurants chains? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/all-restaurants-chains-319513/)

Kelevision 05-11-2021 06:36 AM

are all the restaurants chains?

Hi, I'm moving to The Villages and am wondering if there are any really good restaurants there or only chains? What are the best and favorites. It seems like places don't last long there which is interesting to me.

Bill14564 05-11-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelevision (Post 1942664)
Hi, I'm moving to The Villages and am wondering if there are any really good restaurants there or only chains? What are the best and favorites. It seems like places don't last long there which is interesting to me.

What do you consider a chain? If four country club restaurants are owned by one company is that a chain? If a restaurant has three locations is that a chain?

I would consider none of the country clubs to be chains. Some of the restaurants at the squares are chains (5-guys in Brownwood) but most are not.

Our favorites are Havana, World of Beer (with 25+ locations, actually is a chain), and we've recently tried and liked Fiesta Grande. Others that have recently opened that are getting good reviews but we haven't had a chance to try them yet.

graciegirl 05-11-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

I am sad to say that in my opinion, many restaurants here have gone down in a lot of areas in the past ten years. When the developer was in charge of places like Cane Garden and the Lighthouse, they were MUCH better. Lots of reasons, people do not want to pay a lot to eat out and that means some unskilled help. Also the dependence of many on pre-made components to meals is not always good.

The restaurant business historically has never been a huge success. See here;

Restaurant Profitability and Failure Rates: What You Need to Know | FSR magazine

People like food they recognize – that’s why chain restaurants are successful! It’s All About Trust. People trust chain restaurants. Being familiar with a menu, and seeing a familiar logo creates the trust and loyalty needed for a successful business. A lot of chain dining establishments are well conscious of this reality.

Garywt 05-11-2021 12:51 PM

I think there is a good mixture. All the fast food chains are here and a few sit down chains like Applebee’s and IHOP etc. it a owner has multiple restaurants, the are generally different menus and food type. Then there are a good number of stand alone type restaurants that you only find in the Villages. To try them all it will take awhile and yes, by the time you get through them all some might have closed and something new is in its place.

Then of course you can leave the reservation and find a whole new selection of restaurants.

DaddyD 05-11-2021 01:05 PM

In my opinion The Villages SUCKS when it comes to interesting / alternative restaurant choices, but fine if you're into fast food and corporate chain restaurants.

I'm sure a few people will chime in claiming that so & so restaurant is great, that's fine, but the truth of the matter is that the selection is super-small. There are very few ethnic restaurants, few small "Mom & Pop" type restaurants, very few independent restaurants, etc..

What's worse is that all the different "Villages" pretty much have all the same stores & restaurants. I'm guessing this is largely due to very high rent. If you're into ethnic (especially Asian) restaurants, you'll have to drive to Orlando-area to get a decent selection.

Topspinmo 05-11-2021 02:40 PM

I eat at the best restaurant in the area every night! At home. :ho:

Papa_lecki 05-11-2021 03:00 PM

We eat out often. Restaurants are good. If you want GREAT cuisine, look in Miami.
There are a few chains, but most restaurants are owned/operated by local restaurant groups (one group might operate 5 to 10 restaurants.
You also will find two different visits to the same place will offer two very different experiences (i.e. great one time and terrible the next).
There are some that are consistently good.
Most of the country clubs are okay. I’ve had many good experiences at Palmer, I would put that at the top of my list (I don't eat out in the northern end, so didn't put Lopez, etc on my list).

Ben Franklin 05-11-2021 03:35 PM

I believe all the restaurants within TV borders are chains, or owned by investors, except, maybe Roberto's and maybe Chinese. There are some privately owned restaurants outside of TV's borders. I believe Sammy's is family owned and have yet to try them, but anxious to do so. Miz Kathi's Cotillion Southern Cafe is also chef owned. I am sure there are more privately owned (by privately owned, I mean the chef works at creating the meals.) all outside of TV land borders.

Bogie Shooter 05-11-2021 03:37 PM

This may be helpful:
The Villages Gourmet Club Restaurant Review Site

champion6 05-11-2021 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Here is a list of restaurants I put together. Judge for yourself.

Garywt 05-11-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyD (Post 1942939)
In my opinion The Villages SUCKS when it comes to interesting / alternative restaurant choices, but fine if you're into fast food and corporate chain restaurants.

I'm sure a few people will chime in claiming that so & so restaurant is great, that's fine, but the truth of the matter is that the selection is super-small. There are very few ethnic restaurants, few small "Mom & Pop" type restaurants, very few independent restaurants, etc..

What's worse is that all the different "Villages" pretty much have all the same stores & restaurants. I'm guessing this is largely due to very high rent. If you're into ethnic (especially Asian) restaurants, you'll have to drive to Orlando-area to get a decent selection.

To a point I agree. Have not found anything that compares to restaurants in New England. In The Villages the pizza is just ok, the Chinese we have not had because we were told it is terrible, steak tips are not available anywhere, and other food just does not compare either. It is edible but not much more.