Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Sprinkler head donuts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/sprinkler-head-donuts-319764/)

DConn 05-18-2021 07:46 AM

Sprinkler head donuts

I am looking for a person or company that will install sprinkler head donuts. ...checked with Dean's and they do not. Any recommendations?

ctmurray 05-18-2021 08:22 AM

Install yourself? Or whomever mows your yard?

They don't seem hard to install yourself. I have to remove mine once in a while to clear them of leaves and grass. Then put them back. Might need a knife or shovel to make the first cut of the grass. Maybe whomever mows your yard would do this for free? I have not asked mine but that edger tool they use could certainly cut the grass, and I am sure they would do this if I did ask.

Michigan Farmer 05-18-2021 10:51 AM

I'd be happy to do it for you and glad to help.
Bill 989-284-0220

Homer49 05-18-2021 02:50 PM

Do these donuts help avoid broken sprinklers from mowers? When we moved here a year ago I saw them for the first time in several neighbors yards. I asked our lawn/irrigation maintenance guy about them and he didn't think they were worth the trouble. Since then we've had one broken sprinkler head - I assume from a mower hitting it just right, so wondering if I should reconsider?

kcrazorbackfan 05-18-2021 03:18 PM

They’re easy to install; I installed 49 of them at the new casa.

lake5798 05-18-2021 05:12 PM

Hi Bill I see you have a 989 area code, where were you farming in MI?

bobdeb 05-18-2021 07:51 PM

Interesting how the cost of sprinkler head donuts skyrocketed long before covid.

Easy to install. I have one of those round serrated donut hole cutters. But it's a waste. I just use my hands and a small clipper for maintenance.

ctmurray 05-19-2021 09:57 AM

I forgot. My neighbor had a serrated hole cutter I borrowed since the grass had overgrown one of mine. So a neighbor might have one.

ctmurray 05-19-2021 09:59 AM

The doughnut protects them from the edger guy and grass growing over them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer49 (Post 1946649)
Do these donuts help avoid broken sprinklers from mowers? When we moved here a year ago I saw them for the first time in several neighbors yards. I asked our lawn/irrigation maintenance guy about them and he didn't think they were worth the trouble. Since then we've had one broken sprinkler head - I assume from a mower hitting it just right, so wondering if I should reconsider?

They protect my heads near my driveway and sidewalk from the edger person. And they help keep the St. Augustine grass from smothering them.