Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Down Spout not draining properly (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/down-spout-not-draining-properly-319769/)

denniskathyb 05-18-2021 08:56 AM

Down Spout not draining properly

Down Spouts:
My house was built in 2004, I bought it in 2008. The down spouts connect to pipe that goes under ground then reemerges out in the lawn where the water is expelled. During heavy rain the pipe (which is connected to down spout) is unable to handle the amount of water and the water backs up and comes out of the down spout at the connection to the pipe.

Question:

Assuming the pipe is partially plugged, can one clean it out with a wet-dry vac?

Should I just forget the underground connection and extend my down spout to dump onto the driveway?

Is what is going on normal, practical, and I should leave it alone?

graciegirl 05-18-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denniskathyb (Post 1946499)
Down Spouts:
My house was built in 2004, I bought it in 2008. The down spouts connect to pipe that goes under ground then reemerges out in the lawn where the water is expelled. During heavy rain the pipe (which is connected to down spout) is unable to handle the amount of water and the water backs up and comes out of the down spout at the connection to the pipe.

Question:

Assuming the pipe is partially plugged, can one clean it out with a wet-dry vac?

Should I just forget the underground connection and extend my down spout to dump onto the driveway?

Is what is going on normal, practical, and I should leave it alone?

That happens to us during a drenching rain. If you wait an hour, the sandy soil wicks it away. Poof!

dewilson58 05-18-2021 09:23 AM

or try using a running garden hose thru it........a little rotor rooter action.

wisbad1 05-18-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1946515)
or try using a running garden hose thru it........a little rotor rooter action.

I used my leaf blower to clean them

villagetinker 05-18-2021 02:20 PM

I had the exact same problem. Turned out the pop-up drains in the lawn were covered over with grass. Once I found them I removed to raise these up and found LOTS of grass routs had intruded into the pipes in this area. I took several minutes of hand digging to remove roots and clean out the pipes. Working much better now.

dtennent 05-18-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1946640)
I had the exact same problem. Turned out the pop-up drains in the lawn were covered over with grass. Once I found them I removed to raise these up and found LOTS of grass routs had intruded into the pipes in this area. I took several minutes of hand digging to remove roots and clean out the pipes. Working much better now.

I have to trim the grass away from the pop up drain twice a year. If they are completely covered, you might have to put the hose down the down spout and run the water for a few minutes. Look for the wet area in your lawn to find the drain. Once I removed the overgrowth, the drain worked much better.