Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Lighthouse Bar and Grill Changes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/lighthouse-bar-grill-changes-320244/)

mtdjed 06-02-2021 08:03 AM

Lighthouse Bar and Grill Changes

Anyone aware of any recent changes to the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. Usually has full tables and people awaiting seating. Within last week seems like crowds have disappeared. Just an observation, as we walk past every evening.

asianthree 06-02-2021 08:48 AM

Beginning of summer, most restaurants have more availability

walterray1 06-02-2021 09:06 AM

Menu changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 1953862)
Anyone aware of any recent changes to the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. Usually has full tables and people awaiting seating. Within last week seems like crowds have disappeared. Just an observation, as we walk past every evening.

My wife and I visited there a couple of weeks ago. We sat at the bar like usual but noticed that the restaurant was not busy like normal. I asked for menus and received what looked like lunch menus. I asked the bartender and was told they were new and that the dinner entrees were eliminated. Basically now mostly sandwiches, fried food and apps. Was told that they were streamlining things to be more efficient in the kitchen. We previously really liked the butterfish and the baked fish options but no longer available. Might make sense for cost efficiency but not customer friendly imo. Maybe opening the new restaurant in Spanish Springs has spread them too thin.

sbb1256 06-02-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdjed (Post 1953862)

We recently went there for dinner. Their menu has changed drastically. They are now a "seafood basket" only place. Seafood (fish, shrimp, scallops, etc) served with fries and a cup of coleslaw in a plastic basket and presented with the cheapest plastic silverware. I think they might have dropped their prices a tad also. But the restaurant is only a shell of its former self - it needs a complete overhaul inside and out, and the food is now only mediocre.
Such a shame - it used to be our favorite place to eat. What a waste of a great view.

JohnN 06-02-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbb1256 (Post 1953909)
Such a shame - it used to be our favorite place to eat.

Ditto

Stu from NYC 06-02-2021 10:02 AM

We went there for the first time a few weeks ago.

Food was good but served a large piece of fried halibut in very small cardboard basket making it hard to eat. Not to mention plastic utensils.

njbchbum 06-02-2021 10:03 AM

Snowbirds are gone and prices/wages have increased...gotta trim costs somewhere?

stan the man 06-02-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1953913)
Ditto

Ditto again

Aloha1 06-02-2021 03:26 PM

The venue deserves much better. If they're having trouble meeting expenses ( which I suspect), sell it to someone who can make it worth the visit.

Two Bills 06-02-2021 03:54 PM

If the decibel level has dropped as well, can't be bad!

dewilson58 06-02-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stan the man (Post 1953974)
Ditto again

Can a double ditto be ditto'd ??

bobdeb 06-02-2021 07:49 PM

I thought nobody went there anymore because it was so crowded.

Groan...

Stu from NYC 06-02-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdeb (Post 1954142)
I thought nobody went there anymore because it was so crowded.

Groan...

Used to be Yogi's favorite restaurant

34gunner 06-03-2021 06:07 AM

I dislike the new menu. We went last week. Good service, not so good food.

tophcfa 06-03-2021 08:25 AM

When we bought in the Villages 6 years ago the Lighthouse was our go to place. It was where we brought all our visitors for a very good meal with a nice view. Over the years it has gone through several changes, the only thing that has been consistent is change. With each change, quality and value has progressively declined. Kind of sad : (