Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Any suggestions for our Courtyard Villa backyard? (pics) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/any-suggestions-our-courtyard-villa-backyard-pics-320350/)

jayerose 06-05-2021 04:51 PM

Any suggestions for our Courtyard Villa backyard? (pics)

5 Attachment(s)
Too much?

We are totally amateurs!

We took out the flowers and shut off the sprinklers in our alleyway so not to damage the neighbor's house in any way from the water.

DAVES 06-05-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayerose (Post 1955110)
Too much?

We are totally amateurs!

We took out the flowers and shut off the sprinklers in our alleyway so not to damage the neighbor's house in any way from the water.

Not sure what you are asking. As to what you can plant, rights of you and neighbors,
the Villages can guide you and if it is an issue they will send a representative to speak with both you and your neighbor.

Opinions, including mine do not matter as they are not binding on anyone.

jayerose 06-05-2021 05:48 PM

I was just looking for any opinions/suggestions...we never planted so much before.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-05-2021 06:06 PM

I'd add a few taller plants, so that the eye isn't constantly drawn to the ground. Maybe a hibiscus in each of the two back corners, if it gets full sun back there. Crotons would be pretty awesome, you could two in pots, each 1/4 away from the back corners.

Four "taller" plants I think would be sufficient, the 2 hibiscus and the two potted crotons.

Plus each adds a different type of color to the whole thing.

Where you have your cute little flamingo you could probably put a raised herb bed. Just make sure it's florida-friendly, perennial, and either raised or in pots - or you'll end up with herb roots cracking your pavement in a few years.

JohnN 06-05-2021 06:16 PM

I'd take out the grass and put in mulch or rock. Much easier maintenance.
Same goes for any plants, keep 'em easy. A few wall hangings would work too.

Best wishes.

CFrance 06-05-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Too much?

We are totally amateurs!

How much maintenance do you want to do/pay for? We have two or three of those tall red thingies (look like crotons only red and get tall) that spit dead leaves everywhere. We had a bougainvillea that was a maintenance nightmare. We had a hibiscus that was huge and spit dead blossoms everywhere. There are some other things in that same strip you are talking about that are just plain ugly. All were there when we moved in. We had the hibiscus and bougainvillea taken out. I want to have the rest taken out. I just don't know what to put in that area that won't spit dead leaves or have to be trimmed. Any suggestions appreciated, and following this post.

dewilson58 06-05-2021 07:01 PM

I like simple (& have been accused of over simplifying), I like your alleyway.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-05-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1955131)
How much maintenance do you want to do/pay for? We have two or three of those tall red thingies (look like crotons only red and get tall) that spit dead leaves everywhere. We had a bougainvillea that was a maintenance nightmare. We had a hibiscus that was huge and spit dead blossoms everywhere. There are some other things in that same strip you are talking about that are just plain ugly. All were there when we moved in. We had the hibiscus and bougainvillea taken out. I want to have the rest taken out. I just don't know what to put in that area that won't spit dead leaves or have to be trimmed. Any suggestions appreciated, and following this post.

The only things that won't spit dead leaves, flowers, or have to be trimmed, are fake flowers and fake trees. You still have to clean the lizard poop off those once in awhile though.

Your best bet is to get rid of ALL nature, put down pavement, and call it a patio.

Nucky 06-05-2021 09:25 PM

Potted Plants. NICE!

John41 06-05-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Too much?

We are totally amateurs!

Stain the concrete, maybe an arbor too, otherwise looks good. It will fill in so don’t make the mistake of over planting.

2newyorkers 06-05-2021 09:42 PM

Colorful pots with plants and some wall hangings.

2newyorkers 06-05-2021 09:44 PM

Look at backyard or porch makeovers on youtube.

CFrance 06-05-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1955148)
The only things that won't spit dead leaves, flowers, or have to be trimmed, are fake flowers and fake trees. You still have to clean the lizard poop off those once in awhile though.

Your best bet is to get rid of ALL nature, put down pavement, and call it a patio.

I think you're taking my post too literally.

Ptmckiou 06-06-2021 06:08 AM

Landscaping

Generally speaking, you usually create “groupings” of plants in your landscape design, using an odd number of plants (vs even). You want to have a taller plant, as a focal point in the grouping. Coordinate your color palette, so you know what colors will be blooming and when. I like the lattice on the sides because it gives that needed vertical lift, rather than keeping everything so horizontal which can be very boring to the eye. I would build a raised planter bed (about 15” high) in the alley and plant beautiful stuff using soaker hoses inside, so there is no spray of water to harm the wall of the house. Plants can then cascade over the edge of the planter giving some softness to the hardscape.

Girlcopper 06-06-2021 06:09 AM

Quote:

Too much?

We are totally amateurs!

Too much to maintain unless you love spending all your time gardening