Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How do you change LIGHT BULBS that are up in 10 to 12 feet ceilings (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-do-you-change-light-bulbs-up-10-12-feet-ceilings-320380/)

DONS999 06-06-2021 08:33 PM

How do you change LIGHT BULBS that are up in 10 to 12 feet ceilings

We have light bulbs that need replacing and don't have a 12ft ladder. If I did have a 12ft ladder my wife probably would not let me on it.

Is there a service for that ?

Also is there a service to help move large items purchased at Estate sales ( I don't own a minivan or pickup

thanks

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-06-2021 08:52 PM

Access Denied

Kahuna32162 06-06-2021 09:42 PM

Buy one of those expandable poles with the suction cup on the end, you can get them on Amazon.

GrumpyOldMan 06-06-2021 09:58 PM

Call Pikes electric and get a quote.

Kelevision 06-07-2021 02:44 AM

You could use home adviser or Thumbtack to find a handyman type with a ladder to change your bulb or get one of those bulb changing sticks on amazon. Also you can use those websites to find movers.

thevillages2013 06-07-2021 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DONS999 (Post 1955651)
We have light bulbs that need replacing and don't have a 12ft ladder. If I did have a 12ft ladder my wife probably would not let me on it.

Also is there a service to help move large items purchased at Estate sales ( I don't own a minivan or pickup

thanks

I thought long and hard about this and all I could come up with is VERY CAREFULLY :bigbow:

russtcc 06-07-2021 06:06 AM

Quote:

thanks

Tom Tisdale at 407-456-4290 helped us with moving items.

DAVES 06-07-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

thanks

Trying to be polite. First of all with 10 foot ceilings you need an 8 foot ladder. You do not have the height to open a 12 foot ladder. A six foot ladder would be dangerous to use.
Far as those bulb changing things, they do not work if the bulbs are at an angle as in typical ceiling fan. For that matter some lights have a globe over the bulb that needs to be removed to change the bulb.
Wife? I do not do marriage counseling. Perhaps, offer to hold the ladder for her?

Stuff purchased at estate sales? There is no possible reply. If, you buy say a piano you do not want some person with a pick up truck to move it. You might have a hitch attached to your car so you can rent a trailer and SAFELY tow it as/if needed.

Ben Franklin 06-07-2021 10:02 AM

Redirect Notice

Ben Franklin 06-07-2021 10:05 AM

Ignore this post. I couldn't delete it.

snbrafford 06-07-2021 10:55 AM

There are extension poles for that - Lowes

Lowes and Home Depot sell extension poles that go quite high. They come with a variety of attachments that go on the end to "grip" different kinds of light bulbs. I used this kind of device on high ceiling for both flood lights and "normal" bulbs. Ceiling was at least 14 feet high. This way you make a one time purchase and can get the job done.

EdFNJ 06-07-2021 02:19 PM

Very carefully.

CoachKandSportsguy 06-07-2021 03:19 PM

My gawd! How did everyone make it to retire to the villages without being able to figure out how to change a light bulb in the 21st century. That is beyond comprehension. . .

TJ SoBos 06-07-2021 04:49 PM

3 guys and a really tall ladder. 1 guy grabs the bulb, and the other 2 guys spin the ladder. SORRY...couldn't help myself.

DAVES 06-07-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVES (Post 1955772)
Trying to be polite. First of all with 10 foot ceilings you need an 8 foot ladder. You do not have the height to open a 12 foot ladder. A six foot ladder would be dangerous to use.
Far as those bulb changing things, they do not work if the bulbs are at an angle as in typical ceiling fan. For that matter some lights have a globe over the bulb that needs to be removed to change the bulb.
Wife? I do not do marriage counseling. Perhaps, offer to hold the ladder for her?

Stuff purchased at estate sales? There is no possible reply. If, you buy say a piano you do not want some person with a pick up truck to move it. You might have a hitch attached to your car so you can rent a trailer and SAFELY tow it as/if needed.

Further advice. Bulbs have an expected AVERAGE life. If, one has blown you might consider replacing all of them. If, for example a ceiling fan fixture with 4 bulbs. One blows the other three that are still working will blow shortly. LED bulbs to get matching color light you pretty much need to replace all that light together.