Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Your Favorite Non-Profit (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/your-favorite-non-profit-320406/)

carol805 06-07-2021 07:38 PM

Your Favorite Non-Profit

After a recent discussion, I became curious about donations to non-profits. Which one would you donate a chunk of money to? Family and friends do not count.

RICH1 06-07-2021 07:50 PM

St Jude's is one of my favorites!

I knew a fella who donated 1.3 million to the Moose Club in PA... a year later he stopped in for a beer and they didn't even know who he was .,.

asianthree 06-07-2021 08:00 PM

Cancer Research of any kind. Sadly research numbers will be skewed due to many had a Covid death, instead of stage 4 metastasized to multiple organs. Hopefully research will have a better chance of realigning numbers

Stu from NYC 06-07-2021 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1955990)
Cancer Research of any kind. Sadly research numbers will be skewed due to many had a Covid death, instead of stage 4 metastasized to multiple organs. Hopefully research will have a better chance of realigning numbers

Some Cancer type charities are not really a charity they take most of the money they collect for expenses.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-07-2021 09:29 PM

A friend of mine has his own non-profit called the Cohort of Disembodied Artists. COHORT OF DISEMBODIED ARTISTS – SUPPORTING ARTISTS WHO USE ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES It supports people who use assistive technologies to make art. He is one of those people. He has ALS, and has had no voluntary muscle function for years. He lives at home with 24/7 professional nursing staff, and communicates via a special technology called an eyewriter that interacts with a computer suspended from the ceiling so he can see it while being 100% bedridden.

He makes most of his art exclusively via the computer and he's amazingly gifted. I met him and his girlfriend (now his wife) in my college dorm my second year at Emerson. He wasn't diagnosed until a decade or so after that.

If I could afford to buy a dozen of his art pieces, I would. As it is, I did a fundraiser via Facebook last year and raised around $1500 total.

John41 06-07-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carol805 (Post 1955979)
After a recent discussion, I became curious about donations to non-profits. Which one would you donate a chunk of money to? Family and friends do not count.

Humane Society of the Treasure Coast

Ecuadog 06-07-2021 10:46 PM

Shriners Hospitals for Children

Americares

Doctors Without Borders

stadry 06-08-2021 05:07 AM

i'm in for the Shriners too+ Tunnels/Towers-bride prefers st Jude's

FromNY 06-08-2021 05:20 AM

Local animal rescues. These organizations survive on the generous support of the communities they are in.

noslices1 06-08-2021 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carol805 (Post 1955979)

Gary Sinese Foundation.

Dlbonivich 06-08-2021 05:21 AM

Rotary is a great organization that provides local and international support to charities. Most of the work and money is directed through local clubs internationally. The Villages Rotary Noon. Does many service projects fir area schools , camps, food banks etc. also supports projects in other projects in foreign countries through direct support and global grant. Currently a global grant is being used to build a rehab facility in Eustis. Money has come from all over the world.

l2ridehd 06-08-2021 05:30 AM

I only donate to those where at a minimum 90 percent goes to that cause.

St Judes
Salvation Army
Fisher House.

Maybe Purple Heart, but they were slipping on the percentage, need to check again on them.

nick demis 06-08-2021 05:32 AM

Wounded Warrior and St Jude

La lamy 06-08-2021 05:44 AM

I like Habitat for Humanity.

jhoglund 06-08-2021 05:48 AM

Non-Profit organizations

Donate to those where at a minimum 90 % goes to that cause
St Judes