Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Ideas for a new business in the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/ideas-new-business-villages-320803/)

steve3860 06-21-2021 06:43 AM

Ideas for a new business in the Villages

A friend of mine that retired too young is looking to relocate to the Villages and start some sort of business.

Does anyone have any ideas I can pass by him that would be good here? Something besides the obvious Golf Carts, Golf Clubs. There must be something out there that is missing here that even Amazon can't fill. Think outside the box. Thanks

graciegirl 06-21-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve3860 (Post 1962805)
A friend of mine that retired too young is looking to relocate to the Villages and start some sort of business.

Does anyone have any ideas I can pass by him that would be good here? Something besides the obvious Golf Carts, Golf Clubs. There must be something out there that is missing here that even Amazon can't fill. Think outside the box. Thanks

I cannot think of anything that isn't an unrealistic goal. I think your friend should try to find a job rather than start a business.

oldtimes 06-21-2021 07:04 AM

I wish someone would bring the Cousins Maine Lobster truck back to The Villages

Franchise | Cousins Maine Lobster

Stu from NYC 06-21-2021 07:54 AM

Without knowing his backround and abilities do not know how to answer the question.

Two Bills 06-21-2021 08:12 AM

A Space Rocket Launch pad would be fun.
Dog poop recycling plant.
A roundabout practice area.
A large swimming pool that allowed swimmers.
So many thing that are needed. :icon_wink:

davem4616 06-21-2021 08:28 AM

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and make some suggestions...

I don't believe that there are any flight training schools inside TV for people that have a hankering to learn how to fly

also missing are the street vendors that sell sausages on the street corners (and umbrellas when it rains)

haven't seen any manufacturing inside TV....and somebody's already grabbed 'the pillow market'...but I'm guessing that he'd make a fortune if he could produce bagels like they have in NY

just saying

JMintzer 06-21-2021 08:38 AM

I'll bet this guy has a few ideas... All of them are gonna' make him a fortune!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eason_1963.jpg

retiredguy123 06-21-2021 08:43 AM

A reliable service to drive people to the doctor, shopping, airport, etc.

stanley 06-21-2021 08:51 AM

Top Golf

DAVES 06-21-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve3860 (Post 1962805)

I was in my own business. When, people say think, wow you had your own business, the reality is, the boss is a fool but you cannot say so, there is no hiding anything behind his back at the water cooler. On a typical job 40-50% of you income is benefits. Self employed, there are no benefits. Add to that the fact that you are on call 7 days a week
24 hours a day. You can make good money. You can also loose your investment.

Far as no competition, the reality is if there is no competition there is no business either.

Papa_lecki 06-21-2021 10:48 AM

Depends, are they financially secure? Are they trying to fill time - and any income is a bonus or are they trying to make a sustainable salary.

if you read this forum - a GREAT, dependable honest landscaping service would make a fortune.
I am not sure golf cart repair/oil change is a huge money maker
Renting/selling/serving golf clubs wouldn’t seem to be a huge money maker

Decadeofdave 06-21-2021 10:51 AM

This may sound curt, quitting too early is a big, big miscalculation.
Get some planning advice (score)before you
make a new business miscalculation.

cswett5234 06-21-2021 10:56 AM

Two ideas that need a little refining (don't be too judgmental, just trying to assist)....ONE an in-home pet sitter, one who will sit with your pet for a min of 4 hrs a day (fee around $50 per day). This person should be bonded and insured. I see many Villagers who desire to visit family and have to put their pets in "pet daycare", this way, the pet stays at home. They should also be able to administer meds should it be required (thinking of a diabetic cat for example).

TWO....how about a "Daily Helper" type of job. This person could be hired for $100 a day and perform a host of tasks, such as assist in cleaning out closets/garages, rearrange furniture, assist with packing/unpacking if you are moving or have just arrived, assist with hanging curtains, laundry, or (if possible) help with technology (IPads, Kindles, PC, macbooks, TV remotes, etc...), perhaps even drive a person to/from the store, choices are almost endless! I know, you're saying isn't that friends are for? Well, if you just moved to TV and don't know anyone yet, this could be helpful.

Broke my heart when someone created a post a few weeks ago, they just moved to TV and needed help unpacking and setting up her home, she was recently widowed and had no family....so sad, with I were there to assist! Okay, interesting to see what others suggest.

Clint, Freeport, Maine

SusanStCatherine 06-21-2021 12:01 PM

I'd love a microbrewery. Probably would only work in newer areas with the youngest people.

Many electric golf carts with lead acid batteries can be upgraded to NiCad and the old batteries will need recycling.

billethkid 06-21-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine (Post 1963034)
I'd love a microbrewery. Probably would only work in newer areas with the youngest people.

Many electric golf carts with lead acid batteries can be upgraded to NiCad and the old batteries will need recycling.

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: (while remaining polite!)