Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Is Everybody in TV Super Active? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/everybody-tv-super-active-320832/)

Davonu 06-21-2021 05:19 PM

Is Everybody in TV Super Active?

I have a friend who is considering moving to TV. I've answered a lot of his questions the best I can, but he asked me one that I realized I'm not really sure about. So I'm gonna ask it here. I've been here a few years and I'm reasonably active. But I hadn't really thought about how my activity level compares to others. And that is what my friend's question relates to.

He wants to know if people who are relative home-bodies have a place in TV. He says he and his wife will likely enjoy the squares entertainment regularly and some other Villages features, but they may not partake in that many clubs, sports, or other similar Villages attractions. He asked whether that might be an issue in any way. I told him of course that TV is very friendly and they should be just fine. But that got me to thinking about something now I find myself wondering about...

I wonder what the breakdown is between the various levels of activity of Villages residents. There are of course those folks who are super active and busy constantly. But I'm sure there are some folks like my friends who are spend quite a bit of time at home. Then there are all the levels in between.

Anyway, just food for thought. I would love to get ToTV input to share with my friends. I would particularly like to hear from those folks who are more home-bodies. How has your experience in TV been?

chrisinva 06-21-2021 05:35 PM

We initially learned & played pickleball but stopped when covid appeared. Same with golf. I swim laps regularly & walk the dog 2-3 times daily. Otherwise we are homebodies. We have really nice neighbors & socialize that way. Never go to the Squares for entertainment.

retiredguy123 06-21-2021 05:36 PM

In my opinion, for a homebody, this question has nothing to do with The Villages. If your friend is a homebody, he will do fine in The Villages or anywhere else. But, for someone who wants to be active, The Villages offers plenty of opportunity. But a homebody can be happy anywhere. No one is going to drag him out of the house and force him to do something.

Bjeanj 06-21-2021 05:53 PM

Ditto what retiredguy123 said.

JMintzer 06-21-2021 05:58 PM

Personally, I like the increased activity level of many of the Villagers.

It helps counteract my natural couch potato tendencies...

Kim Fowler 06-21-2021 07:03 PM

Not sure what the breakdown of activity level is among Villagers. I’m fairly active, as are the vast majority of people I know, but I know a few folks (mostly older) who are happy as homebodies here.
I wonder if your friends would be better off in a community with a cheaper cost of living if they are not going to take advantage of the activities here. My husband and I love The Villages and all the activities and sports, so all the monthly fees and higher home prices are worth it to us. But it may not be the best place for homebodies on a tight budget.
People living near The Villages of course can come to the squares and restaurants.

Koapaka 06-21-2021 07:23 PM

According to our real estate agent who we think they world of, after living here 20+ yrs he told us that 60% do NOT play golf at all, and another large portion have stopped using the pools/rec centers after the first few years with the exception of groups they have joined and felt connected with. I think a lot of it is just conveniences and ability to have developed friendships that stay with us regardless of mobility issues. I am mobility handicapped, so we are mostly homebodies except for when we DESIRE to go out and very much enjoy living here.

Papa_lecki 06-21-2021 07:49 PM

I think it depends who becomes your social circle in TV. Some people pick up new hobbies, re engage hobbies lost years ago, or just socialize with a small group of firiends.

mikreb 06-21-2021 08:28 PM

golf 4 days a week, pickleball 3 days, softball 3 days, bowling 1 day, swimming 2 days, beer almost everyday.

Velvet 06-21-2021 08:39 PM

In retirement I am a plein air painter I guess by definition, a loner. But… what I love about The Villages are the choices one has. The trails, the pools, the clubs etc. etc. Two days ago Hubby and I drove to a new rec center for information about their pool schedule but we got lost and noticed people in a private room working on their art. I couldn’t resist I looked in - careful not to distract anyone. But they saw us and welcomed us and later as I was about to leave I heard someone call, “Come back again”.

collegeref 06-22-2021 04:42 AM

I am here and the Squares alone are worth it. Do nothing else.

soniak4@gmail.com 06-22-2021 04:47 AM

The beauty of The Villages is that you have the opportunity to live whatever life style you want, active or couch potato, but opportunities are here if and when you want them.

Two Bills 06-22-2021 04:57 AM

Judging by the stretch in some of the stretch pants rolling around TV, a lot more activity wouldn't be a bad idea!:icon_wink:

joeandpauline1961 06-22-2021 04:58 AM

We have lived here 14 years. I love to ride my bike in the morning and do 6 miles a day inside my community. There is nothing wrong with being a home body type couple. You will find that the neighbors are very nice and helpful if needed. I enjoy cleaning my cars and I am in a few car clubs but it is not necessary to go to all the meetings. It is a great place for a couple to jump in their golf cart and go to lunch dinner or do their grocery shopping. There is no place in the world more convenient to reach grocery stores, movie theatres, restaurants or simply drive down occasionally to one of the squares and listen to music for an hour or so. Nothing is required and the amenity fee is not a lot, considering all the benefits and conveniences you have. The best example I have heard for living in the Villages is from a women who lived herself, (didn't ask if she was married or lost her husband), but could not drive anymore. The same person was able to get in her golf cart and go grocery shopping, to her doctors and to church. This enabled her to be free of depending on anyone to do those things for her. Stores will also deliver to your home if necessary. Maintenance people for anything you need are plentiful in the Villages. Our neighborhood has a list of recommended people that previous neighbors have used and recommend, that you can call on. ou may be surprised that you begin to get a little more active in doing things by yourselves since there are so many opportunities that exist.
The neighbors are the most caring if any emergency exists. We all look out for each other. For us this is just a step before heaven.

Girlcopper 06-22-2021 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davonu (Post 1963125)
I have a friend who is considering moving to TV. I've answered a lot of his questions the best I can, but he asked me one that I realized I'm not really sure about. So I'm gonna ask it here. I've been here a few years and I'm reasonably active. But I hadn't really thought about how my activity level compares to others. And that is what my friend's question relates to.

He wants to know if people who are relative home-bodies have a place in TV. He says he and his wife will likely enjoy the squares entertainment regularly and some other Villages features, but they may not partake in that many clubs, sports, or other similar Villages attractions. He asked whether that might be an issue in any way. I told him of course that TV is very friendly and they should be just fine. But that got me to thinking about something now I find myself wondering about...

I wonder what the breakdown is between the various levels of activity of Villages residents. There are of course those folks who are super active and busy constantly. But I'm sure there are some folks like my friends who are spend quite a bit of time at home. Then there are all the levels in between.

Anyway, just food for thought. I would love to get ToTV input to share with my friends. I would particularly like to hear from those folks who are more home-bodies. How has your experience in TV been?

Whether he lives in TV or anywhere. Your friend has his own lifestyle. Why would he care about what others do or what they think? Stay home or go out, travel or only go as far as the grocery store. Who cares? TheVillage monitors are not going to come and drag him out of his house 3x a week