Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   HOME WATCH, SECURITY & SMART HOME (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/home-watch-security-smart-home-242/)
-   -   Be Very Careful at the Gates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/home-watch-security-smart-home-242/very-careful-gates-320935/)

Grill Meister 06-24-2021 10:31 AM

Be Very Careful at the Gates

DANGER AT THE GATES
You need to be extra cautious going through the gates here in The Villages, especially the gate at Miona Recreation Center at Buena Vista and Bailey Trail. I guess I am just not a very attentive and careful driver. Several times I have come up the resident gate, had the crossing arm raise, go through and almost get hit by a car that came through on the visitors’ side. The gate attendant, I would think, would make certain that only one car at a time went through either of the two gates. But many times, I have approached the gate with no other car behind me, had my crossing arm raise up and, voila, I was almost side swiped by a car on my left. The gate attendant raised the gate either simultaneously with my gate or immediately after my gate started opening. Be very, very careful. I just be the only driver to have this happen or, I am sure that the attendants would have been given specific instructions against this possible, dangerous situation.
:boom:

Garywt 06-24-2021 10:51 AM

The visitors gate opens by hitting a red button I believe, the attendant does not open them. Many gates have a merge like this plus you can have carts crossing.

birdiebill 06-24-2021 11:18 AM

The visitors gate does open with the red button, but if the gatehouse is manned by Community Watch, the gate attendant opens the visitors gate when vehicles use the visitor lane.

Altavia 06-24-2021 11:54 AM

This may happen if the gate sensor does not detect the previous car passing through.

The gate stays up and the next car triggers it to lower when passing through the gate when up.

Always use the card or button if the gate is up.

Homer49 06-24-2021 11:59 AM

And some visitor gates that are unattended are in "construction mode" - they will raise automatically when a vehicle activates the sensor pad with no button push required (Marsh Bend gate behind Magnolia Plaza). Always have to be careful merging at those since the visitor side can get thru quicker than the resident side, even if the resident side vehicle was ahead when arriving at the gate.

JohnN 06-24-2021 12:38 PM

The gate attendants don't have a clue and don't time the gates very well.
Yes, you need to be very careful when there are 2 gates.

wisbad1 06-24-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grill Meister (Post 1964474)
DANGER AT THE GATES
You need to be extra cautious going through the gates here in The Villages, especially the gate at Miona Recreation Center at Buena Vista and Bailey Trail. I guess I am just not a very attentive and careful driver. Several times I have come up the resident gate, had the crossing arm raise, go through and almost get hit by a car that came through on the visitors’ side. The gate attendant, I would think, would make certain that only one car at a time went through either of the two gates. But many times, I have approached the gate with no other car behind me, had my crossing arm raise up and, voila, I was almost side swiped by a car on my left. The gate attendant raised the gate either simultaneously with my gate or immediately after my gate started opening. Be very, very careful. I just be the only driver to have this happen or, I am sure that the attendants would have been given specific instructions against this possible, dangerous situation.
:boom:

Some people are in a hurry and don’t care about you. They are old and don’t have much time left on earth. I agree attendants could use a little more caution, they are making a bad decision.

Number 10 GI 06-24-2021 02:34 PM

It's called defensive driving. You have to be aware of what is happening around you and prepare to take necessary actions to avoid a collision. You know that there might be traffic on your left side while going through the gate, watch out for it. Don't depend on the gate guard to keep you out of trouble, that's your responsibility.

kcrazorbackfan 06-24-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 1964480)
The visitors gate opens by hitting a red button I believe, the attendant does not open them. Many gates have a merge like this plus you can have carts crossing.

The attendant at the gates can (and do) open them.

Bogie Shooter 06-24-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisbad1 (Post 1964508)
Some people are in a hurry and don’t care about you. They are old and don’t have much time left on earth. I agree attendants could use a little more caution, they are making a bad decision.

What do you consider old?

I'm Popeye! 06-24-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1964608)

Someone that lives North of 466A. :1rotfl:

Aces4 06-24-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Anyone age 50 and older. The 40’s were the best!

Girlcopper 06-25-2021 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 1964546)
It's called defensive driving. You have to be aware of what is happening around you and prepare to take necessary actions to avoid a collision. You know that there might be traffic on your left side while going through the gate, watch out for it. Don't depend on the gate guard to keep you out of trouble, that's your responsibility.

Finally, the voice of reason. Its easy to blame others and not take responsibility for yourself. No matter if the guard opens the gate or not, I always check and merge properly. TV needs alot of attention by drivers with all the golf carts, bikes and gates around. Pay attention and you wont need a guard to let you know when its safe to pass through

nick demis 06-25-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

All of us. Some of us just don't realize it yet.

CSB1228 06-25-2021 05:15 AM

Residents can use either gates. Use the visitor gate if you're having problems with the resident gate. I've lived in The Villages for 14 years now, and I rather go through the manned gate. Most residents don't realize they have that choice. The visitors don't have a choice. The gate keeper is supposed to watch both gates, make sure traffic doesn't back up into the round-a-bouts and if there is time, check the golf cart crossing too. Since it is the resident gate that is most often crashed thru, I think we can see where the problem is.