Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Played golf with two nice folks today... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/played-golf-two-nice-folks-today-320943/)

Mortal1 06-24-2021 02:19 PM

Played golf with two nice folks today...

none of us knew each other. The gentleman liked to talk about himself and liked the black tees and did very well. My only issue was that his big thing was that he did this to enjoy himself. Good idea...but...his idea turned out to be that he'd play when he was ready and this in turn had him standing without club talking while the group ahead had left the green and were teeing off on the next hole. This to him was enjoyable. He's inability to understand what makes each of us enjoy the game isn't always the same thing. Thus we have etiquette. When I would politely tell him he was clear to tee it up and hit he'd reply, "I'm enjoying myself". Oddly self serving.

Oddly enough he also played softball in the leagues. I wonder how his fellow players would feel if he sat on the bench till he was ready to bat because that's how HE enjoyed the game....while everyone else awaited his moment of joy.

Many people are like him and do not understand the ebb and flow and how etiquette in golf puts everyone on the same page.

Opinion without foreknowledge of how things typically work is the bastion of the ignorant and self involved.

dewilson58 06-24-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1964542)
Good idea...but...his idea turned out to be that he'd play when he was ready and this in turn had him standing without club talking while the group ahead had left the green and were teeing off on the next hole. This to him was enjoyable.

Sounds like your group was keeping up with the group in front. :shrug:

photo1902 06-24-2021 02:42 PM

Quote:

none of us knew each other. The gentleman liked to talk about himself and liked the black tees and did very well. My only issue was that his big thing was that he did this to enjoy himself. Good idea...but...his idea turned out to be that he'd play when he was ready and this in turn had him standing without club talking while the group ahead had left the green and were teeing off on the next hole. This to him was enjoyable. He's inability to understand what makes each of us enjoy the game isn't always the same thing. Thus we have etiquette. When I would politely tell him he was clear to tee it up and hit he'd reply, "I'm enjoying myself". Oddly self serving.

Oddly enough he also played softball in the leagues. I wonder how his fellow players would feel if he sat on the bench till he was ready to bat because that's how HE enjoyed the game....while everyone else awaited his moment of joy.

Many people are like him and do not understand the ebb and flow and how etiquette in golf puts everyone on the same page.

Opinion without foreknowledge of how things typically work is the bastion of the ignorant and self involved.

And this, my friend, is why I never play with strangers. Been there, done that.

Bay Kid 06-25-2021 06:05 AM

Must of been a bad round so blame the playing partners.

Bay Kid 06-25-2021 06:06 AM

Must of been a bad round. Some days are better than others.

DonH57 06-25-2021 06:12 AM

It could have been worse. At least he wasn't one to see if he could land the ball on the green as the group ahead was stepping off it!

CoachKandSportsguy 06-25-2021 08:42 AM

First world problems for sure

justjim 06-25-2021 09:42 AM

Played golf in TV for more than 10 years and have played with strangers many times. You meet some interesting golfers especially on the executive courses. Over time I’ve learn to be patient and just enjoy the round no matter what it brings on a given day. Even a relatively slow round is never more than 10 -15 minutes longer than usual. Frankly, I’m more annoyed with golfers that don’t rake sand traps and fix ball marks than those that even talk while I’m hitting. Fore…

stanley 06-25-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Good idea...but...his idea turned out to be that he'd play when he was ready and this in turn had him standing without club talking while the group ahead had left the green and were teeing off on the next hole. When I would politely tell him he was clear to tee it up and hit he'd reply, "I'm enjoying myself". Oddly self serving.

Why didn't you or the other person you were playing with tee up first? That's what ready golf is all about.