Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Replaced the Hunter with a wireless Bhyve irrigation controller (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/replaced-hunter-wireless-bhyve-irrigation-controller-320986/)

CoachKandSportsguy 06-25-2021 05:34 PM

Replaced the Hunter with a wireless Bhyve irrigation controller

I have answered all the questions and set up the 4 zones with Smart Watering.

For those with the wifi Bhyve and have used smart watering, how have you found the results?

Keep it or use a custom program?

Thanks!

sportsguy

capecodkev 06-26-2021 05:44 AM

I installed mine in March. So far it has worked really well. I set up a custom program recommended to me by my lawn guy. It notifies me when the system is delayed due to rain in the area. No issues yet.

brianherlihy 06-26-2021 07:05 AM

hi can you run it like the old ones by hand

Altavia 06-26-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianherlihy (Post 1965169)
hi can you run it like the old ones by hand

Yes and also using the app.

Altavia 06-26-2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy (Post 1965065)

For those with the wifi Bhyve and have used smart watering, how have you found the results?

Thanks!

sportsguy

Smart watering works well for me. It even anticipates delays based on the forecast.

You can find local weather stations here:

Tempest Station Map

Homer49 06-26-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie0723 (Post 1965173)
Smart watering works well for me. It even anticipates delays based on the forecast.

You can find local weather stations here:

Tempest Station Map

Is the controller unit able to look at a specific Tempest station for it’s information. I have one of those in my backyard and have been wondering how to link it to an irrigation controller.

CoachKandSportsguy 06-26-2021 07:50 PM

Robbie - do tell

The directions didn't mention any steps on how to connect to the weather stations or locations. . .

I assumed it was automatic, but do tell if you know how. .

Thanks!

JakeInTV 06-27-2021 05:15 AM

I've been using the Rachio brand for a couple of years now. Love it. Based on my address location, once I connected the Wifi, it automatically monitors the weather for my area. These past weeks in particular, with all the rain, it skips the sheduled runs. Amazing how many gallons it saved.

Buckeye Bleau 06-27-2021 06:04 AM

I am a newbie with regards to sprinkler systems. The unit at my house is what I am sure very antiquated. I found someone to maintain it when I am gone but they seem to struggle with it. I am in the historic district and once I am down there full time I plan on working with it myself.
Where do you get these other systems? Who do you use to install or maintain?
Again, I don’t understand the old one do I don’t get the new ones.
BHyve cost $98 while Rachio cost over $250. There must be a difference that I don’t see.

chuckandbernice 06-27-2021 06:13 AM

B-Hyve

I estimate mine has saved me about $50 in the past year. It comes in real handy when working on the sprinklers by running it from my phone instead of back and forth to the garage. Also makes it easier for a quick check to see if the heads are working properly.

Accidental1 06-27-2021 06:16 AM

I monitor the weather myself

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy (Post 1965065)

Thanks!

sportsguy

I installed mine in March but decided against using smart watering feature because the weather station it is based on is Leesburg airport (I’m in Marsh Bend). I use stations from weather underground that are closer to my house and manually set delays on the app if necessary.

mamamia54 06-27-2021 06:44 AM

We have a b-hyve and love it. We always struggled setting the programs with the Hunter. You can set a program, water manually or both. It really was great when we had some new landscaping put in the day before we were leaving to go away. I was able to water the plants from another state. We bought it at Lowe’s, I think it was $69.

Altavia 06-27-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accidental1 (Post 1965538)
I installed mine in March but decided against using smart watering feature because the weather station it is based on is Leesburg airport (I’m in Marsh Bend). I use stations from weather underground that are closer to my house and manually set delays on the app if necessary.

B-hyve App Updates - Select A Weather Station and Configure Delay Thresholds - YouTube

How to add my personal weather station? – Orbit b•hyve

jh214 06-27-2021 12:19 PM

Love the Rachio controller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau (Post 1965526)
I am a newbie with regards to sprinkler systems. The unit at my house is what I am sure very antiquated. I found someone to maintain it when I am gone but they seem to struggle with it. I am in the historic district and once I am down there full time I plan on working with it myself.
Where do you get these other systems? Who do you use to install or maintain?
Again, I don’t understand the old one do I don’t get the new ones.
BHyve cost $98 while Rachio cost over $250. There must be a difference that I don’t see.

Just bought the Rachio 3 from Costco for $149 for our home that will be built later this year. Have been using a Rachio 2 for several years and like it. I am connected to a weather station and it will sometimes not water for an expected rain. I can verify a rain with a camera that is placed to look out at the lawn to see any rainfall when I am away.

TNolander 06-27-2021 05:09 PM

Who can we get to install a WiFi controller?

I want to get one. I’m looking at b-hyve , rachio, and hunter hydrawise WiFi controllers. I want one that can notify me if there is a broken head or a leak somewhere. Which one do you recommend? And do I call an irrigation company to do the installation? Appreciate your guidance!