Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Are there any diverse Asian restaurants closer to TV rather than Sushi or Chinese? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/there-any-diverse-asian-restaurants-closer-tv-rather-than-sushi-chinese-320989/)

Calisport 06-25-2021 11:37 PM

Are there any diverse Asian restaurants closer to TV rather than Sushi or Chinese?

I'm from South Orange County near Irvine, CA which has a large Asian population. Vietnamese, Indian, Thai and Korean and others. Would Orlando or Ocala be the closest restaurants? I only saw a few Sushi places or Chinese in TV. I may need to travel to buy groceries in Ocala or Orlando when I'm in the Villages.

Koapaka 06-25-2021 11:51 PM

Orlando would be your most productive area for anything Asian from restaurants to grocery stores. We go once every 4-6 weeks....only an hour away, but since we hit up Costco and Trader Joes while in the area, nice day out.

We also have Ruby Thai and Pho shop here in TV directly for Asian dining very locally.

Ecuadog 06-26-2021 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you want to go to a food market, I reccomend Woo Sung Oriental Food Mart in Orlando. Take a cooler and be prepared to spend some time. It is big and the people are helpful.

Woo Sung Oriental Food Mart
5079 Edgewater Dr, Orlando, FL 32810

Pinball wizard 06-26-2021 10:30 AM

Tampa

I prefer Oceanic Asian Market in Tampa.

It's an easier ride (IMHO) than going to Orlando. I also make stops at BJ's, Trader Joes, and going a bit more south, Jo-Els and Mazzaros! It's a multi ethnic day!

Oceanic Market

Ecuadog 06-26-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinball wizard (Post 1965289)

It's an easier ride (IMHO) than going to Orlando. I also make stops at BJ's, Trader Joes, and going a bit more south, Jo-Els and Mazzaros! It's a multi ethnic day!

Oceanic Market

Thanks for the info. I try it the next time I'm in the Tampa area. Jo-El's and Mazzaro's are already on my list for a St. Pete trip.

Aloha1 06-27-2021 08:12 PM

Closest good Asian market to TV is 1st Oriental Supermarket on Colonial Drive, Orlando. Take the the turnpike south to the 408 and east. Exit at Kirkland (exit 5) and turn right. Stay in right lane and turn right at Colonial. Chinatown is on the right about 3/4 mile. Also a number of restaurants in the same center.
From there you're about 15 minutes from COSTCO, BJ's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Super Target, etc. And Millenia Mall.

Ecuadog 06-27-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aloha1 (Post 1965832)
Closest good Asian market to TV is 1st Oriental Supermarket on Colonial Drive, Orlando. ...

Is it now called Enson Market?

Arctic Fox 06-28-2021 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calisport (Post 1965094)
IWould Orlando or Ocala be the closest restaurants? I only saw a few Sushi places or Chinese in TV.

As mentioned above, there is Ruby Thai in Lake Sumter Landing, but the food can be bland unless you tell them that you want it spicy.

Marathon Man 06-28-2021 07:13 AM

Pho Sai Gon near the corner of 301 and 466 is pretty good.

B-flat 06-28-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinball wizard (Post 1965289)

Oceanic Market

Good advice, especially Mazzaros!!

graciegirl 06-28-2021 07:46 AM

I am guessing the OP is from California. I think those from New York, Chicago and LA will be disappointed looking for food that they left behind. I suggest some nice Southern Fare.

Get yourself some wonderful Fried Chicken from Publix. When in Rome you know.

Gpsma 06-28-2021 03:40 PM

Gracie...still perfcting my halal chicken and rice recipe...once it done, delivering a big platter to you

asianthree 06-28-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1965961)
I am guessing the OP is from California. I think those from New York, Chicago and LA will be disappointed looking for food that they left behind. I suggest some nice Southern Fare.

Get yourself some wonderful Fried Chicken from Publix. When in Rome you know.

Op post say coming from CA. OP one does not need to be disappointed moving to FL, when looking for Asian food, and thinking you need to sub in southern cuisine.

There are Asian markets and restaurants in Orlando and Oceanic in Tampa, which is my favorite, will not disappoint. We have Vietnamese restaurants (Pho) close to TV, which are good, enough that our Vietnamese grandchildren have returned more than once.

However Asian cuisine is regional, like most countries, and will vary from one family recipe to another.
Depending on who is cooking in our Vietnamese side, even kimchi recipes vary.

golfing eagles 06-29-2021 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-flat (Post 1965943)
Good advice, especially Mazzaros!!

Mazzaro's is great, but quite a hike. Also, be prepared to hunt for a parking spot and hike even further on foot:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Skip 06-29-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calisport (Post 1965094)
I'm from South Orange County near Irvine, CA which has a large Asian population. Vietnamese, Indian, Thai and Korean and others. Would Orlando or Ocala be the closest restaurants?

Here's a comprehensive list:
Go to The Villages Gourmet Club's Search Page, check the "Asian" box in Section 2, and click SEARCH at the bottom.
I came up with 80! The furthest was in Ormond Beach called Thai Erawan. Nice drive.

This is a great resource. I think their next meeting is next month. Open to only TV residents however.

Skip