Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Computerized pill-minder - on my! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/computerized-pill-minder-my-321053/)

GrumpyOldMan 06-28-2021 01:37 PM

Computerized pill-minder - on my!

A while back I was in Ecuador and lost my Passport. Then a couple of weeks later I was home and lost my wallet.

Both of those are important items, and I was concerned that I lost both in a matter of weeks.

I discussed it with my PCP at the VA and she thought it was nothing more than a simple "absentmindedness" that happens at my age, but felt it would not hurt to go ahead and get a baseline psychological evaluation done, so, we would have it on file in case anything develops later.

A week later I spent a couple of hours with the therapist and she said the tests showed that I am having some trouble forming new long-term memories. I am not forgetting memories I already have but some of my short-term memories fail to get moved into long-term storage.

She recommended I start a regime of mental exercises to improve my memory functions, which I am doing.

Now that I have the diagnosis, I am starting to find that I am completely forgetting some things. For instance, Sharon will mention that we did something and I have no recollection of having ever done it. Sigh. Oh well, sucks to get older.

Since I am on several medications, the therapist recommended the VA provide me with a pill minder, and it arrived today.

This is one serious pill minder! But, being a geek, I appreciate it having a computer built into it. I will have to see if I can hack it to play Candy Crush or maybe better, "Wack-A-Mole" with the pill cases.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a52bebb6_b.jpg

Mortal1 06-28-2021 01:53 PM

very cool.

jebartle 06-28-2021 02:03 PM

Yipsters! Is that gizmo for real?

Aces4 06-28-2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1966092)
A while back I was in Ecuador and lost my Passport. Then a couple of weeks later I was home and lost my wallet.

Both of those are important items, and I was concerned that I lost both in a matter of weeks.

I discussed it with my PCP at the VA and she thought it was nothing more than a simple "absentmindedness" that happens at my age, but felt it would not hurt to go ahead and get a baseline psychological evaluation done, so, we would have it on file in case anything develops later.

A week later I spent a couple of hours with the therapist and she said the tests showed that I am having some trouble forming new long-term memories. I am not forgetting memories I already have but some of my short-term memories fail to get moved into long-term storage.

She recommended I start a regime of mental exercises to improve my memory functions, which I am doing.

Now that I have the diagnosis, I am starting to find that I am completely forgetting some things. For instance, Sharon will mention that we did something and I have no recollection of having ever done it. Sigh. Oh well, sucks to get older.

Since I am on several medications, the therapist recommended the VA provide me with a pill minder, and it arrived today.

This is one serious pill minder! But, being a geek, I appreciate it having a computer built into it. I will have to see if I can hack it to play Candy Crush or maybe better, "Wack-A-Mole" with the pill cases.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a52bebb6_b.jpg

Good luck, Grumpy. Memory issues due to aging aren’t easy to deal with and I hope the exercises help you.

GrumpyOldMan 06-28-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1966101)
Yipsters! Is that gizmo for real?

Yes, it's on Amazon for about $70, but the VA provided mine for no charge.

GrumpyOldMan 06-28-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces4 (Post 1966103)
Good luck, Grumpy. Memory issues due to aging aren’t easy to deal with and I hope the exercises help you.

Thank you, I guess it is what it is,

Look at the bright side, I can watch those TV shows I really like over and over - LOL!

golfing eagles 06-28-2021 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1966110)
Yes, it's on Amazon for about $70, but the VA provided mine for no charge.

My tax dollar at work:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

But seriously, I hope it helps:)

Aces4 06-28-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1966111)
Thank you, I guess it is what it is,

Look at the bright side, I can watch those TV shows I really like over and over - LOL!

I recommend the Hallmark Channel to start!:clap2:

Stu from NYC 06-28-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces4 (Post 1966116)
I recommend the Hallmark Channel to start!:clap2:

If your ready to take a nap would highly recommend it.

GrumpyOldMan 06-28-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1966115)
My tax dollar at work:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

But seriously, I hope it helps:)

And thank you for your tax dollars. The VA healthcare provides excellent healthcare for vets, in my experience, and for far less than Medicare provides "crappy:" healthcare (unless you like sitting in a doctor's office for 1 hour to see a doctor for 5 minutes).

One example, the VA pays $700 for my $3,000 hearing aides.

Aces4 06-28-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1966125)
If your ready to take a nap would highly recommend it.

Naps are good for your memory:coolsmiley:

Northerner52 06-28-2021 07:09 PM

Thats a lot of work. Amazon owns PillPac. They send y you little packets with days and times to take a months supply. I figured it cost me about $50 more a month. Your may be different.

GrumpyOldMan 06-28-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northerner52 (Post 1966158)
Thats a lot of work. Amazon owns PillPac. They send y you little packets with days and times to take a months supply. I figured it cost me about $50 more a month. Your may be different.

I understand. Thank you for the suggestion.

GOLFER54 06-29-2021 05:04 AM

I guess one day you’ll forget where you put it.

DaleDivine 06-29-2021 05:06 AM

WOW... That's a heck of a pill box. I would never be able to fill it up and figure out which day and what pills to take.
Hope it works out for you Grumpy.
:pray: