Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Music (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/)
-   -   Sounds of Silence cover (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-music-337/sounds-silence-cover-321107/)

GrumpyOldMan 06-30-2021 09:12 AM

Sounds of Silence cover

This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

It seems to resonate with me today.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video] - YouTube

karostay 06-30-2021 09:46 AM

Best version out there Love Disturbs rendition of this classic

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-30-2021 11:02 AM

It's an amazing song, and Disturbed does an amazing job of it. You can add some amazing movement by watching Nyle Marco (who is completely deaf) and Peta Murgatroyd doing freestyle dance to the song on Dancing With the Stars.
Nyle & Peta's Freestyle - Dancing with the Stars - YouTube

GrumpyOldMan 06-30-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1966699)
It's an amazing song, and Disturbed does an amazing job of it. You can add some amazing movement by watching Nyle Marco (who is completely deaf) and Peta Murgatroyd doing freestyle dance to the song on Dancing With the Stars.
Nyle & Peta's Freestyle - Dancing with the Stars - YouTube

Thank you!

JMintzer 06-30-2021 05:58 PM

I first heard this version several years ago. Blew my socks off!

Thanks for reminding me of it!

bob47 06-30-2021 06:45 PM

Thanks to both posters who put up the links. Both videos are fabulous.

Chi-Town 06-30-2021 10:24 PM

Live with no distractions. This was the first time I heard it or saw it. Unbelievably good.

Disturbed "The Sound Of Silence" 03/28/16 - YouTube

GrumpyOldMan 06-30-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 1966826)
I first heard this version several years ago. Blew my socks off!

Thanks for reminding me of it!

Totally agree My first time I was literally stunned. Blew my socks off is a very appropriate description.

I love all things done well and this is way beyond done well.

thevillages2013 07-01-2021 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1966662)
This is not new, it was recorded in 1963 by Simon and Garfunkel ( I am sure most if not everyone has heard the original). Simon summed up the song's lyrics as an ode about people not being able to communicate with each other and the growing divide that was resulting.

The original was a very lovely melodic almost melancholy performance, but if you listen closely to the words, they express anger and frustration.

This cover from 2016 is a reimagining of the original. A very emotional and disturbing expression of that anger and frustration. The lead singer has an amazing voice and his control is just stunning.

While Disturbed is a Metal band, I believe this performance goes beyond genre and is a masterpiece. Simon seems to have agreed since he posted this to his own social media, in 2016, when it came out and praised the interpretation.

This is posted as an expression of my own frustration and anger. It so accurately represents my own feeling at the lack of our ability to communicate with each other.

This is absolutely NOT a political statement/post. This is a post about the state of our society. Our obsession with social media where people talk without saying anything, read without understanding anything. And our bowing down to (obsession with) the "neon god we made" - technology/social media.

Warning, this is a very powerful and emotional performance, it may not be suitable for everyone.

Awesome version by Disturbed. “Stricken “ also by Disturbed is excellent. Another couple good remakes are “Turn the page” by Metallica and “Bad Company “ by Five Finger Death Punch. Almost forgot “Whiskey in the Jar “by Metallica

Robnlaura 07-01-2021 05:27 AM

Fell in love with disturbed after watching this .. renewed my interest in metal started watching rammstein as well amazing sound and visuals

Eg_cruz 07-01-2021 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1966662)

Love this one ……I shared it a lot over the years. Watch his “If a ever lost my faith in you” an other powerful reminder where we are in today’s society
Thank you for sharing

thevillages2013 07-01-2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robnlaura (Post 1966944)
Fell in love with disturbed after watching this .. renewed my interest in metal started watching rammstein as well amazing sound and visuals

Ah wahahah aah. Most won’t understand but sure you will:coolsmiley:

Jewelz 07-01-2021 06:32 AM

This is fantastic!

BoatRatKat 07-01-2021 06:42 AM

Whew, that was powerful...thanks.

Goodi70 07-01-2021 06:48 AM

Wow!