Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Are you interested in the Japan 2020 OLYMPICS? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/you-interested-japan-2020-olympics-321956/)

DeanFL 07-22-2021 09:05 AM

Are you interested in the Japan 2020 OLYMPICS?

me, not so much - and I must say...yet.

Much of the 'luster' of Olympic games are tarnished, for me.

First the 1-year delay in holding the Games due to Covid. Then the decision not to have ANY public attend the Games. Then the issues re some USA athletes and the anthem. Then, in the last couple weeks Covid has arisen in Japan, impacting some athletes. And of course the non-Live issue of holding the Games in Asia. So we'd already know results - such as the Women's soccer team losing 3-0 to Sweden - so....why tune in and watch? With all this NBC must be sweating after their $$$$$ investment.

I will probably do 'selective tuning-in'.

But I certainly enjoyed Wimbeldon tennis and the golf Open in England, even the Euro soccer championship. time will tell with the Olympics. I've been to Japan 10 times during my business career, and love the country, the people, and their spirit. But they can't catch a break re the Olympics.

JSR22 07-22-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1976656)
me, not so much - and I must say...yet.

Much of the 'luster' of Olympic games are tarnished, for me.

First the 1-year delay in holding the Games due to Covid. Then the decision not to have ANY public attend the Games. Then the issues re some USA athletes and the anthem. Then, in the last couple weeks Covid has arisen in Japan, impacting some athletes. And of course the non-Live issue of holding the Games in Asia. So we'd already know results - such as the Women's soccer team losing 3-0 to Sweden - so....why tune in and watch? With all this NBC must be sweating after their $$$$$ investment.

I will probably do 'selective tuning-in'.

But I certainly enjoyed Wimbeldon tennis and the golf Open in England, even the Euro soccer championship. time will tell with the Olympics. I've been to Japan 10 times during my business career, and love the country, the people, and their spirit. But they can't catch a break re the Olympics.

I am looking forward to watching all of the Olympics. Iplan to DVR all of the broadcasts. Really looking forward to gymnastics, swimming and diving and track and field.

Taltarzac725 07-22-2021 09:28 AM

I will tape various women's soccer games, the opening and closing ceremonies and some other things. The diving has always been interesting as well as much of the gymnastics.

davem4616 07-22-2021 09:48 AM

we have little interest in watching the Olympics any more...there was a time that it was a 'must watch' event for us, but not when
there's a total self-centered girl on the US team that dishonors the very country that has given her the opportunity to compete

The winter Olympics have more interest for us...especially when there's a bobsled entry from some remote place that never has snow....wife also likes the ice skating

dsgreen3 07-22-2021 09:53 AM

No until they take the politics out of sports I will not support any of them. If entitled athletes want to disrespect our country then they should not represent the USA. If Network TV want's to cause division in our country then they should not profit from the games or anything else for that matter. Color me jaded.

MrFlorida 07-22-2021 09:59 AM

No, lost interest in all sports over the last few years because of politics.

Number 10 GI 07-22-2021 10:01 AM

I would rather watch grass grow.

stanley 07-22-2021 10:13 AM

Nope

Villagevip 07-22-2021 10:14 AM

Nope, not going to watch all the kneelers, trashing America that gave them so much....Just going to find out if the "female" hammer thrower, and the "women's" soccer team, and such are eliminated, and crack open a beer...Hopefully in the future when we have America back, will look forward to the Olympics again...

manaboutown 07-22-2021 10:17 AM

I lost interest in sports when they became political, so no.

If I spend time and money to watch a sport, it is to enjoy the sport, not endure some protest of one ilk or another.

graciegirl 07-22-2021 11:01 AM

I have lost interest. Our daughter really used to love watching both winter and summer Olympics, but with no fans allowed, I wonder if it will be as riveting?

Delta Variant makes it dangerous to those not vaccinated.

Seamus6 07-22-2021 11:23 AM

We MIGHT watch the opening ceremonies but, in general, we 're going to pass.

I don't want to support networks, sports organizations, sponsors or entitled athletes that participate in disrespecting our country.

I can't stand politics as it is. I certainly don't want to see it in sports, award shows, TV shows, movies, music, theatre or anything that is supposed to be entertaining it also doesn't belong in commercials, education, healthcare, restaurants, business, social media or many other things. But this is the society that has been created.

Ben Franklin 07-22-2021 11:58 AM

I lost interest in the Olympics in my mid-twenties.

dewilson58 07-22-2021 12:03 PM

noper

JMintzer 07-22-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem4616 (Post 1976697)
we have little interest in watching the Olympics any more...there was a time that it was a 'must watch' event for us, but not when
there's a total self-centered girl on the US team that dishonors the very country that has given her the opportunity to compete

Just one? :icon_wink: