Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Texas Hold’Em (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/texas-holdem-322185/)

duffysmom 07-28-2021 03:44 PM

Texas Hold’Em

Laurel Manor Texas Hold’Em on Friday's 12:30 and Saturday and Sunday at 5:30 will now be $10.00 per game.

All are welcome, new player's can sit and watch or play to learn the game from experienced players.

villagetinker 07-28-2021 04:35 PM

I did not think gambling was allowed in the Rec Centers.

retiredguy123 07-28-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1979730)
I did not think gambling was allowed in the Rec Centers.

The rec center guidelines state that,

"In accordance with Florida State Law, Gambling, except as authorized by FSL, is
strictly prohibited."

However, Florida law does permit penny ante card games and says that,

"Florida limits home card games to penny antes only, but they must also limit their pot sizes to a $10 maximum."

So, I think the OP's game is legal. My opinion.

villagetinker 07-28-2021 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1979735)
The rec center guidelines state that,

"In accordance with Florida State Law, Gambling, except as authorized by FSL, is
strictly prohibited."

However, Florida law does permit penny ante card games and says that,

"Florida limits home card games to penny antes only, but they must also limit their pot sizes to a $10 maximum."

So, I think the OP's game is legal. My opinion.

I took to original message as $10 per person, I still think the Villages does not allow gambling, and I may very be wrong.

Babubhat 07-29-2021 06:44 AM

Allowable if meets the criteria. Code Section

849.01 et seq.; 550.001, et. seq.

Penny-ante games with winnings not exceeding $10 permitted, including poker, pinochle, bridge, dominoes, and mahjongg, if conducted by adults

PennBF 07-29-2021 07:30 AM

Fully Studied

The games, as played in the rec centers has been fully investigated by a couple of attorney's and concluded they meet the various laws in the State of Florida. It would take some time to explain in detail the surrounding basis for them meeting Florida standards however this has been raised a few times and in each case the games met Florida's Statues/laws.:popcorn:

Topspinmo 07-29-2021 08:09 AM

IMO Wouldn’t any tournament you enter and have pay fee be considered gambling? I don’t see any different than bingo game, golf tournament, pool tournament, card game club/tournament or any other game you pay fee to enter to play. No different s than playing lottery scratch offs (course the odds of winning slim to none) You pay and take chance to win. Now if it was underworld numbers game, dice game or roulette where game can be loaded different story IMO.

DaddyD 07-29-2021 12:59 PM

I don't own in TV so not eligible to play, but if anyone knows of or has a home game & is looking for players, please message me.

Yes, I know that there is a poker room at Oxford Downs, but I don't enjoy playing there.

GrumpyOldMan 07-29-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1979984)
IMO Wouldn’t any tournament you enter and have pay fee be considered gambling? I don’t see any different than bingo game, golf tournament, pool tournament, card game club/tournament or any other game you pay fee to enter to play. No different s than playing lottery scratch offs (course the odds of winning slim to none) You pay and take chance to win. Now if it was underworld numbers game, dice game or roulette where game can be loaded different story IMO.

Are there cash prizes for winning bingo, golf or other pay to enter tournaments? I am seriously, I don't do any of those, so I don't know.

retiredguy123 07-29-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1980250)
Are there cash prizes for winning bingo, golf or other pay to enter tournaments? I am seriously, I don't do any of those, so I don't know.

Yes, many of the events have cash prizes.

Topspinmo 07-29-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1980250)

Yes.

TSO/ISPF 07-29-2021 06:52 PM

And you can chew CBD gummies while holding aces. Make it all legal for pete's sake. :icon_wink: Are we adults? Know when to holdem.

J1ceasar 07-30-2021 05:00 AM

Hello, I have a home game in Pennbrooke Fairways, we play every other Wednesday, next game is the 11th. It's a friendly game. We play assorted poker games including Texas hold'em but not just Texas hold'em. We play seven card five card Omaha and a lot of community games to keep it interesting. Most games are high low so there's a split pot and it's a friendly game from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m. the stakes are 25/50 cents , 3 raise maximum.
If you'd like to try it it is a lot of fun I've been playing for about 5 years with mostly the same people. Dealer puts in the pot. The only rules are no Jokers no wild cards no check raising to keep it fun. No smoking in my house of course and please bring your own liquid drinks whether it's Soda or beer it's okay.
Jules r.
352 4591464 text me first
j1ceasar@yahoo.com
Jules

giorgio1948 07-30-2021 07:13 AM

Gambling

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyD (Post 1980218)
I don't own in TV so not eligible to play, but if anyone knows of or has a home game & is looking for players, please message me.

Yes, I know that there is a poker room at Oxford Downs, but I don't enjoy playing there.

Why don't you enjoy playing there?:shocked:

kappy 07-30-2021 07:29 AM

Gin Rummy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babubhat (Post 1979900)
Allowable if meets the criteria. Code Section

849.01 et seq.; 550.001, et. seq.

Penny-ante games with winnings not exceeding $10 permitted, including poker, pinochle, bridge, dominoes, and mahjongg, if conducted by adults

There are two Tournament Gin Rummy games where the entry fee is only $5. One is at Colony Cottage on Monday at 5:20 and the other is on Wednesday at Truman Recreation Center at 11:20. Lots of fun with friendly Gin Rummy players.