Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Me thinks, some dog walkers..... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/me-thinks-some-dog-walkers-322200/)

jbartle1 07-29-2021 05:00 AM

Me thinks, some dog walkers.....

Should consider walking barefoot in this heat, maybe then they will think twice when taking their pets for walks on hot asphalt. Please show your furry friends the unconditional love they give us.

RICH1 07-29-2021 05:42 AM

Not sure what a dogs pad is rated for? Very good post OP ... any Veterinarians out there?

Road-Runner 07-29-2021 07:58 AM

This is a real concern. We try not to walk the pups in the heat of the day. I'm surprised The Villages doesn't have sidewalks which are easier on their pads than the blacktop roads.

justjim 07-29-2021 08:06 AM

Sidewalks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road-Runner (Post 1979974)
This is a real concern. We try not to walk the pups in the heat of the day. I'm surprised The Villages doesn't have sidewalks which are easier on their pads than the blacktop roads.

The quick answer is it’s much cheaper to develop without sidewalks within a village/subdivision. More houses per acre, etc.

OrangeBlossomBaby 07-29-2021 08:11 AM

They can walk their dogs on the grass. No reason not to, except that the dog walkers don't want to hold the leash in their left hand while they're walking against traffic. God forbid a right-handed person think like a left handed person just once in awhile - their heads would explode.

billethkid 07-29-2021 08:12 AM

Simple....sidewalks are not utilized by many people.

PatsyHedrick 07-29-2021 08:51 AM

Good advice. Years ago on our first visit to TV we stopped to talk to a neighbor while walking our dog on the street. Within a minute or two, our dog collapsed and had convulsions. Fortunately the neighbor quickly got the hose and cooled her down. We were lucky and learned a good lesson.

trekker954 07-29-2021 10:31 AM

two days ago, I saw a neighbor come out of her house, carrying her little Maltese, she walked to the curb, place her hand on the asphalt for a few minutes, stood up and put her dog down before walking up the street. such love!!!:doggie:

b0bd0herty 07-30-2021 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1979988)
They can walk their dogs on the grass. No reason not to, except that the dog walkers don't want to hold the leash in their left hand while they're walking against traffic. God forbid a right-handed person think like a left handed person just once in awhile - their heads would explode.

If ONLY they would walk facing traffic instead of in the middle of the road or land with their back to oncoming traffic.

SMH

Donegalkid 07-30-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbartle1 (Post 1979828)
Should consider walking barefoot in this heat, maybe then they will think twice when taking their pets for walks on hot asphalt. Please show your furry friends the unconditional love they give us.

We have an active dog (retriever) and are respectful of high temperatures and humidity for outside activities. The 5 second test is pretty well known amongst vets and owners. Place your palm on the pavement for 5 seconds. If you can’t make it to 5, it’s too hot for the dog’s pads. If you are out walking across different surfaces with different colorings (white concrete vs asphalt) you have to do the test on the various surfaces. Of course, the sun also comes in and out. Dogs also don’t sweat like humans so they can’t self-regulate their temperature. Anything over 75 degrees and you have to watch how your dog is doing. Always look for shade along the way. Water, water, water.

J1ceasar 07-30-2021 05:05 AM

Dogs pant to cool off, so even in your house if you have the temperatures at above 75 or 78 the dogs can be hot and you should put on your overhead fans at the very least to cool them off if they are long haired

Ralpha 07-30-2021 05:26 AM

I don’t know what people are thinking; it’s abusive.

Judy n Ron 07-30-2021 06:00 AM

Amen to that! The lack of sidewalks is only for the benefit of the developer. With as many people that walk here, especially during the pandemic, it has become very dangerous. Grass guys, delivery guys and many residents race through the neighborhoods at break neck speed. I'm surprised there haven't been more deaths and injuries. Our biggest regret is the lack of sidewalks.

Joe C. 07-30-2021 07:45 AM

Maybe someone could come up with a set of "dog shoes". Maybe with velcro straps.

ParSeeker 07-30-2021 07:57 AM

Asphalt Temperature

...last week in the afternoon on a 90+ degree day, the asphalt surface temp was 135 degrees. Our concrete driveway was cooler...by a little...125. We have 2 dogs and are VERY careful to keep them safe. Stay off those surfaces!