Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Why Savannah Center ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/why-savannah-center-322693/)

Penglobal 08-11-2021 08:11 AM

Why Savannah Center ?

Both myself and two friends attended a concert at the Savannah Center Performing Arts Theater in the Villages last night. The Savannah Center is a beautiful venue, everyone working the venue was very nice and polite and the guest appeared to have a great time. Although I have a very positive vibe towards the Savannah Center, I am bit let down that this great venue has declined to enforce social distancing and declined enforcing a mask mandate while its guest are indoors and especially when so many guest are squeezed together in such a tight space.

I was amazed that the venue with approximately 600 guest were tightly squeezed together, sitting next to one another and hardly anyone, except for a handful were wearing protective mask. No one was socially distancing themselves and in my opinion, all the progress made with the declining COVID infection rate will be lost and the rate of COVID infection will rise again.

Since I'm certain this same scenario of not properly protecting ourselves while indoors in public and still many haven't even vaccinated themselves against COVID is occurring throughout our country, I get this bad feeling that come this winter, our country is going back to another lockdown as we haven't learn yet to protect ourselves.

Neils 08-11-2021 08:21 AM

Enjoy your opinion. Not everyone else shares it
Wear your mask if you want to.

Still a (barely) free country.

ROCKMUP 08-11-2021 10:05 AM

You know what they say about opinions, right ?

JoMar 08-11-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penglobal (Post 1987194)
Both myself and two friends attended a concert at the Savannah Center Performing Arts Theater in the Villages last night. The Savannah Center is a beautiful venue, everyone working the venue was very nice and polite and the guest appeared to have a great time. Although I have a very positive vibe towards the Savannah Center, I am bit let down that this great venue has declined to enforce social distancing and declined enforcing a mask mandate while its guest are indoors and especially when so many guest are squeezed together in such a tight space.

I was amazed that the venue with approximately 600 guest were tightly squeezed together, sitting next to one another and hardly anyone, except for a handful were wearing protective mask. No one was socially distancing themselves and in my opinion, all the progress made with the declining COVID infection rate will be lost and the rate of COVID infection will rise again.

Since I'm certain this same scenario of not properly protecting ourselves while indoors in public and still many haven't even vaccinated themselves against COVID is occurring throughout our country, I get this bad feeling that come this winter, our country is going back to another lockdown as we haven't learn yet to protect ourselves.

Since masks do little if anything to protect me, since vaccines are readily available and since vaccinated my odds of serious illness or death are low I don't feel an obligation to be responsible for those that choose to take the risks and ignore the opportunities to protect themselves. As an aside, you might want to avoid the Sharon since they also have gone back to full seating.

Kenswing 08-11-2021 10:33 AM

The beautiful thing about choices is that if you're uncomfortable with the way they do things, you are allowed not to attend.

golfing eagles 08-11-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

So stay home. I think you'll find that the shows are extremely well attended without a "mask mandate", so it is quite possible that you just expressed the minority opinion.

SkBlogW 08-11-2021 12:33 PM

The mask Nazis have lost the war in heavily vaccinated TV

biker1 08-11-2021 12:35 PM

While there is a little slop in the CDC numbers, I suspect well over 90% of the people attending have been vaccinated. The number for those over 65, and especially those living in The Villages, is very high.

Quote:

Penglobal 08-11-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1987361)
So stay home. I think you'll find that the shows are extremely well attended without a "mask mandate", so it is quite possible that you just expressed the minority opinion.

So when is a minority opinion given less credence than the majority opinion?
I believe the majority opinion disregarding indoor mask mandates are both morally wrong and against medical opinion.

Back in the early 1940's, a majority of German nationals believed that all Jews should be executed. Back in the early 1950's, a majority of Southerners still believed in slavery.
My point, a majority opinion doesn't make it right.

Topspinmo 08-11-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penglobal (Post 1987385)
I believe the majority opinion disregarding indoor mask mandates are both morally wrong and against medical opinion.

Back in the early 1940's, a majority of German nationals believed that all Jews should be executed. Back in the early 1950's, a majority of Southerners still believed in slavery.

Opinion again.

Road-Runner 08-11-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Wow, a Nazi analogy and grossly overstated slur against southerners to make your point? I'll bet you're 100% OK with what's going on right now because "elections have consequences". They surely do, regardless of what the voters in the minority think.

Joe V. 08-11-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Both myself and two friends attended a concert at the Savannah Center Performing Arts Theater in the Villages last night.

"Both myself and two friends...", ouch, cringe worthy. 'My two friends and I', if you please. Also, you can only be one of yourself.

Garywt 08-11-2021 01:41 PM

So I believe Florida has lifted all precautions against Covid-19 and people are going with it. Anyone can still wear a mask if they choice and anyone can be vaccinated. There are places that are starting to require proof of vaccination to enter an inside venue. Not sure if Florida ever will do that but these places are requiring the vaccination card to enter shows, restaurants etc. Other not vaccinated can attend outside venues or stay home, their choice.

golfing eagles 08-11-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Seriously? It was a small minority of Germans that felt that way, and probably an even smaller number of Southerners. And the amount of "credence" given to the minority opinion depends on the circumstances. Since 600+ people felt that a mask was not needed and one did, you know what that implies. So, are we to take it that you would feel "safe" attending the shows if your opinion about masks was adopted by the administration and 600+ people were now forced to wear a mask so that one person felt "safe"?

John41 08-11-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Both myself and two friends attended a concert at the Savannah Center Performing Arts Theater in the Villages last night. The Savannah Center is a beautiful venue, everyone working the venue was very nice and polite and the guest

Probably only about 200 could have attended if social distancing. Not enough to pay the performers. Did you leave or stay for the show?