Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   BigBattery 48V Lithium NMC (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/bigbattery-48v-lithium-nmc-322762/)

MorTech 08-12-2021 10:08 PM

BigBattery 48V Lithium NMC

These are modular 48V packs with Samsung batteries. Easy to install. Good price.

48V BDGR KIT GEN-2 - NMC - 96Ah - 4.2kWh - BigBattery.com

Arctic Fox 08-13-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorTech (Post 1988147)
These are modular 48V packs with Samsung batteries. Easy to install. Good price.

Looks pretty good - $1,599 all in, including charger, with ten year warranty

dadspet 08-13-2021 10:09 AM

What to do with old batteries?

Any thoughts on how to get rid of those old heavy batteries? Can you just put them out with the garbage????

DAVES 08-13-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadspet (Post 1988435)
Any thoughts on how to get rid of those old heavy batteries? Can you just put them out with the garbage????

The people who pick up your trash can advise you. A scrap place may even buy them from you. Lead does have scrap value.

biker1 08-13-2021 07:31 PM

Lead acid batteries are nearly 100% recyclable. Do not put them out with the garbage. Try calling some of the auto parts stores to see if they will take them - they take back your old battery when you buy a new one. You, will, of course, need to get them there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadspet (Post 1988435)

JoMar 08-13-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1988333)
Looks pretty good - $1,599 all in, including charger, with ten year warranty

The warranty is pro-rated....it's not a full replacement warranty for 10 years. I think it's also to the original owner not to subsequent owners.

Mleeja 08-13-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Have you installed? What is your mileage range

jimbo2012 08-14-2021 07:14 AM

The old ones are worth about $20-$25 ea

CosmicTrucker 08-14-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

This appears to be a very good deal. I just purchased an Evolution lithium battery kit online and it was for the 48v 110ah system. It came with mounting hardware, charger, power meter, cables. That unit cost me $2400 including tax and shipping. I plan on installing it on my 08 EZ-Go this week along with a new Navitas motor and controller. I'll be the fool doing wheelies and sporting a bright redneck. :)

UpNorth 08-14-2021 08:45 AM

I love the idea of LiOn batteries in a golf cart, and it will be my choice for my next cart if I decide to stay electric. However, I do have concerns about the safe charging of these batteries, especially in a after-market installation. As you probably know, several auto manufacturers have had problems in this area. Recently, Chevy Bolt owners were told to charge their cars outside of their garages due to unexpected fires during charging. These batteries have had similar problems in laptops, cell phones and airplanes (!). I wouldn't want to have to charge my cart in my driveway because of this. Although the charge controller may work perfectly, shorts in the batteries themselves are typically the problem. And once these batteries start burning, there is very little that can stop them. I plan to proceed to my next cart choice with caution. Love LiOn batteries when they work!

Tyrone Shoelaces 08-14-2021 08:56 AM

Bookmarked it.
Thank You.
It keeps getting better and more affordable all the time.
Game changer for golf carting.

OhioBuckeye 08-14-2021 09:09 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

That’s good that they’re getting cheaper. Eventually these batteries will be put in electric cars, which would be great but can you amagine how much 12 to 15 of these batteries will cost even if they are getting cheaper. Electric cars are going to be expensive & expensive to maintain! Especially when you have to change batteries every 6 or 7 yrs. the manufacturer says every 10 yrs. that’s a good selling point for the Auto makers. I hope I’m wrong, but after 38 yrs. working at Ford I did learn a little bit. But then again that was old school.

Windguy 08-14-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye (Post 1988891)
Electric cars are going to be expensive & expensive to maintain!

Electric cars are getting cheaper and batteries are getting better. Tesla is working on a million-mile battery to support taxi-like service. Also, electric cars are cheaper to maintain than ICE cars: "According to Consumer Reports, EV drivers pay half as much to repair and maintain their vehicles. Consumers who own an electric car can expect to save an average of $4,600 in repair and maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle compared to a gas-powered car."

pablo cruze 08-14-2021 11:33 AM

I too plan to use big battery

Li-Ion vs. the PB-acid
- lighter
- longer lasting
- faster charging
- higher energy density (more range for a given size)
- the Power stays consistent throughout the discharge cycle (speed doesn't drop off as battery charge is used by driving.
- ability to gain back charge w/ regen braking.
- on board charger

I have 2008 Yamaha than needs a lot of updating (seats, lights, brakes, paint job). I plan to add the 144 Ah badger kit, and recycle my still somewhat good trojan PD batteries. I think it may be illegal to dispose of them improperly; I'll take them to a battery store, and at least get the value of the core for them.

Navitas AC motors are the way to go for Yamaha for now. Better performance and higher efficiency than the stock DC motors.
SilverWolf is coming out with an AC motor to fit Yamaha. I'm in contact with them to try to get one for my cart.

I expect my range to be 60-70 miles if I keep the speed and acceleration reasonable.

Maybe I will mount a 48 V mini fridge and a small 48V grill, in case I've ventured too far from home to make it home in time for lunch.:)

ThehappypeopleLOL 08-14-2021 03:09 PM

The potential fire hazard with a lithium ion battery golf cart is enough to convince me it’s not wise to purchase and potentially harm my family, home and neighbors.