Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Realtors, Mortgage & Property Management Companies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/realtors-mortgage-property-management-companies-261/)
-   -   Fences (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/realtors-mortgage-property-management-companies-261/fences-323145/)

JCheatham62@gmail.com 08-22-2021 08:17 AM

Fences

My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet

JohnN 08-22-2021 08:39 AM

I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.

villagetinker 08-22-2021 08:42 AM

In general, fences are not allowed, you can call Community Standards (ARC) 352-751-3912 and ask. From what I have seen there were only a few areas where fences were allowed, and these were installed when the house was built. If you absolutely need to have dogs fenced, you may be limited to Court Yard Villas.
Now your other concern is that we have predators here, and dogs, especially small ones can easily be attacked. Also if your plan is for a doggie door for your dogs to go in and out, this will also allow other small animals to do the same.
Please keep all of this in mind with your home decision.

Bjeanj 08-22-2021 10:07 AM

Each district has its own restrictions. Most of them are the same, with a few minor exceptions. You’ve got a couple of options.
1) go to VCDD What's Happening and look up each district’s restriction.
2) ask your realtor what district your prospective home is in and look up the restrictions (dont rely on realtor’s word as to what is allowed).
3) utilize an invisible fence, which is allowed in all districts, as they are below ground.

I will note that most areas do not allow fences, as villagetinker has mentioned. Depending on the size of your dogs, they could be considered prey by the wildlife here, and should not be left outside alone. In some cases, they should not be in your yard without a leash. That’s because you’ll be able to pull them away from wildlife that tries to grab them.

Joe V. 08-22-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1992706)
In general, fences are not allowed, you can call Community Standards (ARC) 352-751-3912 and ask. From what I have seen there were only a few areas where fences were allowed, and these were installed when the house was built. If you absolutely need to have dogs fenced, you may be limited to Court Yard Villas.
Now your other concern is that we have predators here, and dogs, especially small ones can easily be attacked. Also if your plan is for a doggie door for your dogs to go in and out, this will also allow other small animals to do the same.
Please keep all of this in mind with your home decision.

I have had dog doors for over 40 years, here, in SW Florida and Texas. Only my dogs ever went in and out of them. Maybe my houses were an exception.

GrumpyOldMan 08-22-2021 10:30 AM

Court Yard Villas and Veranda models have fences, and are mostly the house of choice for pet owners that want to let them out.

PugMom 08-22-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1992702)
I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.

dittos, we are not allowed to fence in an area that didn't come equipped with one. i know, because i had the same issues. best bet is to check out the courtyard villas that already come with an enclosed yard. some are just beautiful!

PugMom 08-22-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1992768)
I have had dog doors for over 40 years, here, in SW Florida and Texas. Only my dogs ever went in and out of them. Maybe my houses were an exception.

i'd say Yes, because some of the homes are near wildlife preserves. anything & everything can have access to your doggie door. :shocked:

Michread 08-22-2021 11:29 AM

Fence installation is allowed in some areas after you purchase your home

I suggest you contact a knowledgeable Villages sale rep. - warning not all of them are knowledgeable.

In Bradford, there are some areas and lots that you can install a preapproved fence. When looking at homes with our dog, we were shown the fence that was approved and which homes were allowed to have them installed at a later date.

Joe V. 08-22-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 1992814)
i'd say Yes, because some of the homes are near wildlife preserves. anything & everything can have access to your doggie door. :shocked:

In TX I lived out on the prairie and it had an abundance of small critters, from p. dogs to armadillos to coyote, etc. Not even a chupacabra tried getting in. A snake came in through an open upstairs window once. Nothing came in the dog door. In Port Charlotte we backed on a virtually virgin preserve on a canal. That area was loaded with wildlife. Not one living thing came in the dog door except my dogs. An entrance by another animal is possible, I agree. However my neighbors and I, in both places we lived, never had one creature trespasser other than salesmen. The dogs love the doors and so do I.

Bogie Shooter 08-22-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1992846)
In TX I lived out on the prairie and it had an abundance of small critters, from p. dogs to armadillos to coyote, etc. Not even a chupacabra tried getting in. A snake came in through an open upstairs window once. Nothing came in the dog door. In Port Charlotte we backed on a virtually virgin preserve on a canal. That area was loaded with wildlife. Not one living thing came in the dog door except my dogs. An entrance by another animal is possible, I agree. However my neighbors and I, in both places we lived, never had one creature trespasser other than salesmen. The dogs love the doors and so do I.

Are you living in The Villages now?

Joe V. 08-22-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1992888)
Are you living in The Villages now?

I am.

Rose Ann Vinci Igoe 08-22-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheatham62@gmail.com (Post 1992683)
My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet

fences are no allowed anywhere in the Villages... however, a court yard villa would be perfect.... it has enclosed back yard , I think cement 6' tall, perfect for privacy and your fur baby... they come all sizes.

Djean1981 08-22-2021 02:57 PM

I believe you are better off buying a home in a village with fences. We are in the Hawkins, where there are fences (provided with the house). We love it. The are others areas with fences as well, probably the newer areas in the South. A realtor will know which village communities have fences.

DAVES 08-22-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Thank you,
Janet

I do not own a dog but have in the past. Truth it is easier to spoil other people's dogs and leave them with all the problems.

Not sure I believe in reincarnation however if it is true i want to be reincarnated as a villagers dog. You will know it is me because there is no way I will get in one of those strollers. The outfits-forget about it. As to can you. Reality, the regulations are not the same in every village. The sales people. Real estate law is interesting. Only things in writing are binding.

You are not the first to question. I suggest asking in the Villages offices. They are not only helpful but will either have your answer or tell you who to ask

thevillages2013 08-23-2021 05:11 AM

Quote:

Thank you,
Janet

There are cottage/ranch and designer homes in Pine Hills village with fenced backyards so you are not limited to courtyard or veranda. Chances are that if it doesn’t have a fence you can’t build one. Be careful on just taking the word of a real estate agent. They may tell you that you can and they will show up to dig the holes for you to get you under contract

jack.hunter00@yahoo.com 08-23-2021 05:27 AM

No fence.

Invisible fence only.

Maybe a Courtyard Villa would be better choice

DaleDivine 08-23-2021 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1992768)

I too have had a doggy door for years with no critters coming in except the ones our dogs and cat brought in.
We live in a CY villa now with a doggy door and our Jack Russell goes in and out all day with no worries. Plussss, she USES OUR BACK YARD TO DO HER BUSINESS. Not the neighborhood yards.
Get a CY villa or a Veranda with a fence preinstalled.
:ho::ho:

Papa_lecki 08-23-2021 05:55 AM

We have a dog. When we were looking to buy, we thought about a fence. Now that we are here, don’t need one. Honestly, it is too hot to leave the dog outside during the summer.

Ptmckiou 08-23-2021 06:19 AM

Fences

Lots of new houses South of 44 have fenced yards. The large ones called Verandas and the smaller ones are Courtyard Villas.

Above highway 44 the only ones I’m aware fenced are the small Courtyard Villas.

You are not allowed to put in a fence. Only when a house is constructed is a fence put in, so you have to find a resale of a courtyard villa or go to the new area where there are lots of fenced yards.

nativetex 08-23-2021 06:33 AM

I have a dog and moving to The Villages on September 1. I had two realtors tell me the Villa homes are the only ones allowed to have fences. My neighborhood has brown vinyl fencing. My Labrador must have a fence so I bought a Villa.

Lindaws 08-23-2021 06:41 AM

Only invisible fences allowed.

Dlbonivich 08-23-2021 06:42 AM

If it is there you can have it. The homes that are allowed a fence are built with one.

Jayeagley56 08-23-2021 06:44 AM

Or Verandas

richs631 08-23-2021 06:49 AM

If the house doesn’t have a pre installed fence 99% sure you ain’t getting a fence

Pachine58 08-23-2021 06:55 AM

Just moved here and had same dilemma. Most new houses if you can find one have the 3 foot fences or you need to get a patio villa. So we instead bought the house we loved and put in invisible fence. Cost around 2 grand, works fantastic

butlerism 08-23-2021 07:23 AM

You mentioned another point.
Only one dog per household s allowed.
Not two.
You will need to cover that as well.

JSR22 08-23-2021 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlerism (Post 1993107)
Not two.

2 dogs are allowed in most of the CDD.

capgeo 08-23-2021 07:45 AM

No way Jose

Too many rules, many are ridiculous and before you buy in tv maybe you should think it over. Great place for many BUT not so great for others. If you are an avid golfer and are going to use all the amenities maybe it’s for you. I moved here 3 years ago from CT and after renting for 3 months and learning the rules and getting familiar with the area I decided to buy a home about 15 minutes away from tv. When I factored in the hoa fees for many things I didn’t need or want and all the rules I bought a home for a bit more but no rules or hoa. You have a big decision so make sure you weigh all your options. Good luck.

joelfmi 08-23-2021 07:47 AM

To be transparent here you will find their are a lot of con's buying at the villiages

Having done my due diligence using talk of the Villages form. I would advise you before you buy check out what owner have said about living here especially rentals, golf, weather, bugs, traffic, and being the friendly's town on this form, you would be surprised.

capgeo 08-23-2021 07:53 AM

Totally agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1992846)

The person that posted putting fear into these people that are considering tv. Very unlikely any critters coming thru the doggie door to worry about

JCheatham62@gmail.com 08-23-2021 08:19 AM

Fences

Thank you all for the wonderful and informative feedback ! We have friends who live in TV and we have visited numerous times. We have two dogs, 80lb and 45lb who hate the hot weather so we are looking at all options.

This forum rocks !!

kendi 08-23-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 1992757)
Each district has its own restrictions. Most of them are the same, with a few minor exceptions. You’ve got a couple of options.
1) go to VCDD What's Happening and look up each district’s restriction.
2) ask your realtor what district your prospective home is in and look up the restrictions (dont rely on realtor’s word as to what is allowed).
3) utilize an invisible fence, which is allowed in all districts, as they are below ground.

I will note that most areas do not allow fences, as villagetinker has mentioned. Depending on the size of your dogs, they could be considered prey by the wildlife here, and should not be left outside alone. In some cases, they should not be in your yard without a leash. That’s because you’ll be able to pull them away from wildlife that tries to grab them.

Agree! Fence or not never leave your pet outside alone. Even large ones. In addition to predictors there are snakes, fire ants and poisonous frogs. Bobcats and coyotes can get over the villa walls. Alligators have been known to crawl under the gates.

Kathy Lou 08-23-2021 08:31 AM

Some homes in the newer neighborhoods have fences (south of ) 44
Call The Villages Property office

Hackercraft 08-23-2021 08:50 AM

Buy a Veranda

I f you want a fenced in yard the only way to get it with a reasonable amount of space for your dogs is a Veranda. We live in the Monarch Grove Verandas and virtually everyone has a dog. All here are dog friendly and pick up after their fur children.

DonnaNi4os 08-23-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Thank you,
Janet

You are a prime candidate for a villa. The walls and fences are perfect for dogs and chances are you will be surrounded by fellow dog lovers. Good luck with your search. Welcome to The Villages.

Spalumbos62 08-23-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlerism (Post 1993107)
Not two.

You are allowed 2 dogs, even 3 when you arrive with them, once one passes then only 2.

airstreamingypsy 08-23-2021 09:26 AM

I'm amazed by the different answers you got. "No where in TV can you have a fence" That's not true. "You can only have one dog" That's not true. "If you use a doggy door wild animals will come in." That could be true, I have one and it hasn't happened yet. Your biggest concern with a yard is, if you have bite size dogs, Hawks, Eagles, Bobcats, Owls, Coyotes and Panthers are roaming around looking for a snack. If you have big dogs, that can take a Coyote or Bobcat..... no worries. If you have bite size dogs you really do need to be out with them, when they are out. A Coyote vest is a good idea too.

crash 08-23-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Thank you,
Janet

Definitely can not install a fence. There are homes with fences like a courtyard villa and veranda homes that were built fenced.

Keninches 08-23-2021 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michread (Post 1992821)
I suggest you contact a knowledgeable Villages sale rep. - warning not all of them are knowledgeable.

In Bradford, there are some areas and lots that you can install a preapproved fence. When looking at homes with our dog, we were shown the fence that was approved and which homes were allowed to have them installed at a later date.

Good luck. Things change and people complain. When someone in your neighborhood sends an anonymous complaint rules change. Beware.