Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Realtors, Mortgage & Property Management Companies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/realtors-mortgage-property-management-companies-261/)
-   -   Fences (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/realtors-mortgage-property-management-companies-261/fences-323145/)

JCheatham62@gmail.com 08-22-2021 08:17 AM

Fences
 
My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet

JohnN 08-22-2021 08:39 AM

I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.

villagetinker 08-22-2021 08:42 AM

In general, fences are not allowed, you can call Community Standards (ARC) 352-751-3912 and ask. From what I have seen there were only a few areas where fences were allowed, and these were installed when the house was built. If you absolutely need to have dogs fenced, you may be limited to Court Yard Villas.
Now your other concern is that we have predators here, and dogs, especially small ones can easily be attacked. Also if your plan is for a doggie door for your dogs to go in and out, this will also allow other small animals to do the same.
Please keep all of this in mind with your home decision.

Bjeanj 08-22-2021 10:07 AM

Each district has its own restrictions. Most of them are the same, with a few minor exceptions. You’ve got a couple of options.
1) go to VCDD What's Happening and look up each district’s restriction.
2) ask your realtor what district your prospective home is in and look up the restrictions (dont rely on realtor’s word as to what is allowed).
3) utilize an invisible fence, which is allowed in all districts, as they are below ground.

I will note that most areas do not allow fences, as villagetinker has mentioned. Depending on the size of your dogs, they could be considered prey by the wildlife here, and should not be left outside alone. In some cases, they should not be in your yard without a leash. That’s because you’ll be able to pull them away from wildlife that tries to grab them.

Joe V. 08-22-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1992706)
In general, fences are not allowed, you can call Community Standards (ARC) 352-751-3912 and ask. From what I have seen there were only a few areas where fences were allowed, and these were installed when the house was built. If you absolutely need to have dogs fenced, you may be limited to Court Yard Villas.
Now your other concern is that we have predators here, and dogs, especially small ones can easily be attacked. Also if your plan is for a doggie door for your dogs to go in and out, this will also allow other small animals to do the same.
Please keep all of this in mind with your home decision.

I have had dog doors for over 40 years, here, in SW Florida and Texas. Only my dogs ever went in and out of them. Maybe my houses were an exception.

GrumpyOldMan 08-22-2021 10:30 AM

Court Yard Villas and Veranda models have fences, and are mostly the house of choice for pet owners that want to let them out.

PugMom 08-22-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnN (Post 1992702)
I'm unaware of anyone that installed a fence. The Villages used to highly discourage it. There are veranda homes and courtyard villas that have a pre-installed fence during construction, that's the way to go as I see it. Good luck on your search.

dittos, we are not allowed to fence in an area that didn't come equipped with one. i know, because i had the same issues. best bet is to check out the courtyard villas that already come with an enclosed yard. some are just beautiful!

PugMom 08-22-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1992768)
I have had dog doors for over 40 years, here, in SW Florida and Texas. Only my dogs ever went in and out of them. Maybe my houses were an exception.

i'd say Yes, because some of the homes are near wildlife preserves. anything & everything can have access to your doggie door. :shocked:

Michread 08-22-2021 11:29 AM

Fence installation is allowed in some areas after you purchase your home
 
I suggest you contact a knowledgeable Villages sale rep. - warning not all of them are knowledgeable.

In Bradford, there are some areas and lots that you can install a preapproved fence. When looking at homes with our dog, we were shown the fence that was approved and which homes were allowed to have them installed at a later date.

Joe V. 08-22-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 1992814)
i'd say Yes, because some of the homes are near wildlife preserves. anything & everything can have access to your doggie door. :shocked:



In TX I lived out on the prairie and it had an abundance of small critters, from p. dogs to armadillos to coyote, etc. Not even a chupacabra tried getting in. A snake came in through an open upstairs window once. Nothing came in the dog door. In Port Charlotte we backed on a virtually virgin preserve on a canal. That area was loaded with wildlife. Not one living thing came in the dog door except my dogs. An entrance by another animal is possible, I agree. However my neighbors and I, in both places we lived, never had one creature trespasser other than salesmen. The dogs love the doors and so do I.

Bogie Shooter 08-22-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe V. (Post 1992846)
In TX I lived out on the prairie and it had an abundance of small critters, from p. dogs to armadillos to coyote, etc. Not even a chupacabra tried getting in. A snake came in through an open upstairs window once. Nothing came in the dog door. In Port Charlotte we backed on a virtually virgin preserve on a canal. That area was loaded with wildlife. Not one living thing came in the dog door except my dogs. An entrance by another animal is possible, I agree. However my neighbors and I, in both places we lived, never had one creature trespasser other than salesmen. The dogs love the doors and so do I.

Are you living in The Villages now?

Joe V. 08-22-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1992888)
Are you living in The Villages now?

I am.

Rose Ann Vinci Igoe 08-22-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheatham62@gmail.com (Post 1992683)
My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet

fences are no allowed anywhere in the Villages... however, a court yard villa would be perfect.... it has enclosed back yard , I think cement 6' tall, perfect for privacy and your fur baby... they come all sizes.

Djean1981 08-22-2021 02:57 PM

I believe you are better off buying a home in a village with fences. We are in the Hawkins, where there are fences (provided with the house). We love it. The are others areas with fences as well, probably the newer areas in the South. A realtor will know which village communities have fences.

DAVES 08-22-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheatham62@gmail.com (Post 1992683)
My husband and I are looking to find a home in The Villages in the next 30 days. Where can I find information on whether or not we can have a fence installed in the back yard for our two dogs ?

Thank you,
Janet

I do not own a dog but have in the past. Truth it is easier to spoil other people's dogs and leave them with all the problems.

Not sure I believe in reincarnation however if it is true i want to be reincarnated as a villagers dog. You will know it is me because there is no way I will get in one of those strollers. The outfits-forget about it. As to can you. Reality, the regulations are not the same in every village. The sales people. Real estate law is interesting. Only things in writing are binding.

You are not the first to question. I suggest asking in the Villages offices. They are not only helpful but will either have your answer or tell you who to ask


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.