Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Aeration of Putting Greens (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/aeration-putting-greens-323228/)

rsibole 08-24-2021 09:10 AM

Aeration of Putting Greens

Although there is schedule published when the putting greens are to be aerated, which can vary due to circumstance, afterwards the greens are often unplayable depending upon the type of dressing applied or the depth of the aeration.

Paying full price, or any price for that matter, to play on unplayable greens is wrong. After greens are aerated the course should be shut down to play for a reasonable amount of time, at least a week, to allow the greens to heal and be playable.

I have suggested this several times via many methods and have never received a reply and obviously no action. Any suggestion from those who agree would be appreciated and followed through.

graciegirl 08-24-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsibole (Post 1993594)
Although there is schedule published when the putting greens are to be aerated, which can vary due to circumstance, afterwards the greens are often unplayable depending upon the type of dressing applied or the depth of the aeration.

Paying full price, or any price for that matter, to play on unplayable greens is wrong. After greens are aerated the course should be shut down to play for a reasonable amount of time, at least a week, to allow the greens to heal and be playable.

I have suggested this several times via many methods and have never received a reply and obviously no action. Any suggestion from those who agree would be appreciated and followed through.

And one could ask first......

And one could play the course and the conditions knowing that their playing partners are doing the same.

We compete against others and we are challenged by the course.

And I am jealous. After forty years of golf that sometimes made me smile and sometimes made me swear, I can't anymore.

Dana1963 08-24-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Just pass on the courses that have aerated recently the choice to play or not is up to YOU.

I'm Popeye! 08-24-2021 09:52 AM

It's ALL about MONEY, if they close down then they will see none of it.

birdiebill 08-24-2021 10:10 AM

We all have a choice to either play the courses that have not been aerated in the past two weeks or to pay the full fee and play ones that have been. Our choice. Easy decision.

roscoguy 08-24-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Shutting the courses down while the greens heal would open a whole different can of worms & possibly annoy even more people. In times past, when greens were in rough shape due to aeration/sanding/etc, my friends & I would agree just to call it a 2-putt (within a reasonable, agreed upon distance), pick up & move on. It made it much more enjoyable than grumbling about what the aeration holes did to otherwise 'perfect' :icon_wink: putts! I had some pretty good rounds playing under 'winter' rules.

stanley 08-24-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roscoguy (Post 1993653)
Shutting the courses down while the greens heal would open a whole different can of worms & possibly annoy even more people. In times past, when greens were in rough shape due to aeration/sanding/etc, my friends & I would agree just to call it a 2-putt (within a reasonable, agreed upon distance), pick up & move on. It made it much more enjoyable than grumbling about what the aeration holes did to otherwise 'perfect' :icon_wink: putts! I had some pretty good rounds playing under 'winter' rules.

I just play tee to green and don't take the putts seriously. And I like that the courses that are aerated are less crowded.

banjobob 08-25-2021 05:05 AM

Agree freshly aerated greens are almost unplayable ,we use the two putt rule and enjoy ourselves .

DaleDivine 08-25-2021 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley (Post 1993666)
I just play tee to green and don't take the putts seriously. And I like that the courses that are aerated are less crowded.

Makes it easier for the TEE TIMES system to put your larger group in if you don't de-select the freshly aerated greens.
:popcorn::popcorn:

Accidental1 08-25-2021 06:15 AM

I kind of like playing on punched greens…it gives me a built in excuse for putting badly.

Girlcopper 08-25-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdiebill (Post 1993637)
We all have a choice to either play the courses that have not been aerated in the past two weeks or to pay the full fee and play ones that have been. Our choice. Easy decision.

Totally agree. I guess complaints were slim today and thats all that could be thought of to post. Lol

Bernie Diedrich 08-25-2021 07:57 AM

Do one half of the green at a time, put the pin on the other half.

donassaid 08-25-2021 08:23 AM

You are absolutely right. Either shut down play for a week or charge a reduced rate. It seems that the courses here are aerated 4 times a year.

stanley 08-25-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donassaid (Post 1994057)
You are absolutely right. Either shut down play for a week or charge a reduced rate. It seems that the courses here are aerated 4 times a year.

..................basic course maintenance. Real golfers understand the necessity.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/turf...20Schedule.pdf

drcar 08-25-2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donassaid (Post 1994057)

Sorry, the courses are done twice a year with the exception of TDS, three times of the year because of the grass they are using on the greens.