Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Hurricane Ida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/hurricane-ida-323400/)

tvbound 08-28-2021 09:15 AM

Hurricane Ida

I can't imagine the trepidation and fear of staring down the barrel, of what is predicted to be a Cat 4 right before landfall. Here is hoping that at least the loss of life is minimal, even though the loss of property - is probably going to be pretty significant.

Taltarzac725 08-28-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbound (Post 1995619)
I can't imagine the trepidation and fear of staring down the barrel, of what is predicted to be a Cat 4 right before landfall. Here is hoping that at least the loss of life is minimal, even though the loss of property - is probably going to be pretty significant.

My Dad handled catastrophes for Fireman's Fund. Must be a lot to deal with in so many ways.

Kenswing 08-28-2021 10:36 AM

To add insult to injury it's coming on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina which was only a category 3. I hope they are better prepared this time. :pray:

tvbound 08-28-2021 12:26 PM

"Better prepared" AND that the emergency response is much better this time (the bar is pretty low there). General Honoré, dust off your uniform and hopefully you'll be allowed to get there sooner this time.

Escape Artist 08-28-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 1995680)
To add insult to injury it's coming on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina which was only a category 3. I hope they are better prepared this time. :pray:

A Cat 5 hit Florida not that long ago I believe.

tophcfa 08-28-2021 01:42 PM

I sincerely hope no one in New Orleans gets hurt or has their property damaged. However, if there is major damage, I hope taxpayer money is not again wasted rebuilding infrastructure that is below sea level and frequently in the direct path of hurricanes. When will they learn that they are throwing money away. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

Aces4 08-28-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1995765)
I sincerely hope no one in New Orleans gets hurt or has their property damaged. However, if there is major damage, I hope taxpayer money is not again wasted rebuilding infrastructure that is below sea level and frequently in the direct path of hurricanes. When will they learn that they are throwing money away. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

I wonder if there is that same sentiment for the coastlines and inland Florida which is too often hammered by hurricanes and the tornadoes they spawn incurring vast damage. Or is that a different ox?

Stu from NYC 08-28-2021 02:30 PM

I hope the hurricane goes elsewhere and nobody gets hurt but if people want to rebuild in places that mother nature will be reclaiming in the future it should not be taxpayer money that funds this.

Aces4 08-28-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1995780)
I hope the hurricane goes elsewhere and nobody gets hurt but if people want to rebuild in places that mother nature will be reclaiming in the future it should not be taxpayer money that funds this.

You realize that would be the state of Florida which is predicted to be back under water one day.

I hope no one is injured also but the USA is constantly funding other natural disasters such as California wildfires and earthquakes, Florida hurricanes, etc. I’m wondering why Louisiana is being singled out as such a liability. Could it be because of the area’s demographics?

Escape Artist 08-28-2021 02:48 PM

[QUOTE Could it be because of the area’s demographics?[/QUOTE]

To double down on that thought, I wonder how many are unvaccinated? That would be indeed be the perfect storm (no pun intended).

tophcfa 08-28-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces4 (Post 1995784)
You realize that would be the state of Florida which is predicted to be back under water one day.

I hope no one is injured also but the USA is constantly funding other natural disasters such as California wildfires and earthquakes, Florida hurricanes, etc. I’m wondering why Louisiana is being singled out as such a liability. Could it be because of the area’s demographics?

It is below sea level.

Michael G. 08-28-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbound (Post 1995619)

Listen, they obvious choose to live there so they expect it, right?
This goes on many times every year.
It's a septic tank city of the U.S.
They stage Hurricane party's and laugh at storms.
They rebuild their house after destruction with insurance money.

Michael G. 08-28-2021 03:00 PM

Keep paying your high home insurance premiums people, here we go again.

Aces4 08-28-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 1995797)
Listen, they obvious choose to live there so they expect it, right?
This goes on many times every year.
It's a septic tank city of the U.S.
They stage Hurricane party's and laugh at storms.
They rebuild their house after destruction with insurance money.

And what do you think the high end homes of the east coasters hit by hurricanes are rebuilt with? Fema was sent in there so quickly when Henri struck it would make one’s head spin. Constantly, other states are footing the bill for the Gulf and Atlantic states stricken by hurricanes, which are part of America, without demonizing those resident citizens. Is this a new level of ugliness?

Aces4 08-28-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1995795)
It is below sea level.

And you live on a peninsula which is a hurricane magnet but it is your home and you love it. Who are we to judge?