Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   My favorite side in the whole world. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/my-favorite-side-whole-world-323575/)

graciegirl 09-01-2021 10:16 AM

My favorite side in the whole world.

Oyster Dressing...with Turkey.

1 cup butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
12 cups fresh bread cubes
1 1/2 pints fresh oysters, coarsely chopped and liquor reserved
1 1/2 cups chopped celery with leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

Source: Thanksgiving Tradition Oyster Dressing
Thanksgiving Tradition Oyster Dressing

Carla B 09-01-2021 01:41 PM

GG, this sounds yummy! Dressing is the best part of turkey. Looking forward to trying this.

eweissenbach 09-01-2021 03:54 PM

One of my mother’s best friends and fellow teacher, and the mother of one of my best friends made oyster dressing for all of our holiday dinners at church. You had to get in line early or it was gone. What a great and delicious memory.

John Mayes 09-01-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1997745)
Oyster Dressing...with Turkey.

1 cup butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
12 cups fresh bread cubes
1 1/2 pints fresh oysters, coarsely chopped and liquor reserved
1 1/2 cups chopped celery with leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

Source: Thanksgiving Tradition Oyster Dressing
Thanksgiving Tradition Oyster Dressing

Thank you starting a new thread that is both delightful sounding and hoping non-controversial. LOL!!!

Bay Kid 09-02-2021 07:48 AM

My grandmothers made oyster dressing. Love it but I'm not much of a cook. I do have a few thousand oysters growing at my pier!

CFrance 09-02-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1998131)
My grandmothers made oyster dressing. Love it but I'm not much of a cook. I do have a few thousand oysters growing at my pier!

The sister of a Michigan friend has an oyster bed on Lummi Island in Washington state. When they would come visit my friend, they always brought containers of oysters they had harvested and frozen.

I'm sure Gracie would accept some frozen oysters from you.:pray:

Taltarzac725 09-02-2021 08:32 AM

The Cliff House Bistro

I remember the Crispy Fried Calamari with Chili Aioli we would often get a San Francisco's Cliff House Restaurant. Very good.

The place closed permanently though.

Quote:

With a gorgeous tile floor and walls rimmed with photos of celebrities who have dined there, you can’t help but relax. While the menu includes plenty of inventive dishes to insure that the locals don’t get bored, San Francisco classics such Crispy Fried Calamari with Chili Aioli, Sautéed Jumbo Prawns with Olives, Greek Oregano, Lemon and Feta and Traditional San Francisco Cioppino.
I did find a recipe-- Crispy Calamari with Spicy Aioli – La Maison Chef

Carla B 09-02-2021 10:54 AM

Love squid, too. Where would you get it around here? Doesn't need to be crisp (fried). Just sauteed is good, too.

Taltarzac725 09-02-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1998252)
Love squid, too. Where would you get it around here? Doesn't need to be crisp (fried). Just sauteed is good, too.

Best calamari salad in The Villages restaurants, Autumn 2021 - Restaurant Guru

Several Villages' area restaurants serve calamari.

Calisport 09-02-2021 06:55 PM

I thought you were going to say the Australian coast was your favorite side of the world.