Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Fraudulent Check Scam (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/fraudulent-check-scam-323580/)

TedfromGA 09-01-2021 12:53 PM

Fraudulent Check Scam

Long story short: Communication via SMS messaging and Email requesting several Norwex products. The products were for a daughter’s wedding gift and needed to be shipped directly to the daughter. Once the cost (~$300) of the products were provided, the requestor indicated a check would be sent and not to order the products until the check was deposited. A day later another email was sent indicating a mistake had been made and the check included funds for the wedding planner in addition to funds for the products. The person requested we forward the extra funds to the wedding planner. The check arrived via FedEX overnight and was for $2,150.

Big “red flag” and loud bells went off. Yep, calling the bank we learned that the check was fraudulent.

Bottom line - once again beware of these types of scams.

retiredguy123 09-01-2021 01:53 PM

I read the OP several times, and I still cannot understand what is going on. Someone wants to buy a wedding gift, and is also paying a wedding planner with the same check??? Anyone who falls for that scam deserves to lose their money.

Dana1963 09-01-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1997845)
I read the OP several times, and I still cannot understand what is going on. Someone wants to buy a wedding gift, and is also paying a wedding planner with the same check??? Anyone who falls for that scam deserves to lose their money.

I can't figure it out either

coralway 09-01-2021 04:00 PM

PT Barnum was right

Mrprez 09-01-2021 04:06 PM

Obviously, the OP did not fall for this scam which anyone selling anything online will run into now and then.

Bill14564 09-01-2021 04:12 PM

I'm confused. You don't understand the scam yet you feel free to criticize someone who not only *does* understand it but didn't fall for it and took the time to warn others about it. Odd.

Thank you to the OP for the reminder that these kinds of things happen. Unfortunately, we all need to be on our toes these days.

Babubhat 09-01-2021 06:07 PM

Just check the ABA number on their website. You will find it may be a real bank number but in the wrong position of the check. Seen this more than once. No need to call the bank

ABA Routing Number - Find on Checks & Search Database of Routing Numbers | American Bankers Association

retiredguy123 09-01-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 1997898)
I'm confused. You don't understand the scam yet you feel free to criticize someone who not only *does* understand it but didn't fall for it and took the time to warn others about it. Odd.

Thank you to the OP for the reminder that these kinds of things happen. Unfortunately, we all need to be on our toes these days.

I was not criticizing the OP. But, apparently the OP received a check that was supposed to include money for a wedding gift and the wedding planner fee within the same check. And, the OP is supposed to split the check into two payments, one for the wedding gift and the other for the wedding planner fee, and send the payments to two different addresses. Who would do that? Very strange.

TedfromGA 09-01-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 1997898)

Thanks for explaining what I was trying to convey.

Luggage 09-02-2021 06:13 AM

The best way to handle orders that are not local is PayPal and to make sure they are not checking off friends and family .

Luggage 09-02-2021 06:14 AM

That's the whole scam they overpay you and then expect you to immediately send different money to someone else sometimes it's for a truck sometimes it's a delivery etc but it's always a scam

Girlcopper 09-02-2021 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedfromGA (Post 1997814)
Long story short: Communication via SMS messaging and Email requesting several Norwex products. The products were for a daughter’s wedding gift and needed to be shipped directly to the daughter. Once the cost (~$300) of the products were provided, the requestor indicated a check would be sent and not to order the products until the check was deposited. A day later another email was sent indicating a mistake had been made and the check included funds for the wedding planner in addition to funds for the products. The person requested we forward the extra funds to the wedding planner. The check arrived via FedEX overnight and was for $2,150.

Big “red flag” and loud bells went off. Yep, calling the bank we learned that the check was fraudulent.

Bottom line - once again beware of these types of scams.

You needed to get the $2150 check before seeing a red flag????

Mrprez 09-02-2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlcopper (Post 1998059)
You needed to get the $2150 check before seeing a red flag????

He didn’t know the check would be for $2150 until it arrived. Until that point it could have been a legitimate sale.

Post a vehicle for sale on Craigslist. I can almost guarantee a scammer response in less than an hour.

Lynnesail 09-02-2021 06:59 AM

There are fake PayPal scams out there too…

NoMo50 09-02-2021 08:15 AM

This is one of the oldest, yet perpetual scams out there. I have commented on this scam on this forum before, but in a nutshell: The buyer will make a "mistake," and send more money than the asking price. The seller will be told to forward the difference to a 3rd party. That is the hook. The buyer's check will be bogus. The seller will be out the money sent to the 3rd party. End of story. This scam perpetuates because it works, and some fall for it. Good for the OP not taking the bait.