Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor.... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/invasive-plant-bamboo-planted-neighbor-323588/)

TimeForChange 09-01-2021 04:14 PM

Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor....

My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.

Bogie Shooter 09-01-2021 05:52 PM

Roundup…..
Full strength
Or
3 Ways to Kill Bamboo - wikiHow
Or
3 Easy Methods That Tell You How to Kill Bamboo Naturally - Gardenerdy
Or
Do Internet search…..even YouTube videos to help.
Good Lick

Schneil 09-01-2021 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeForChange (Post 1997900)
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.

We had our Clump Bamboo removed after several years growth. It spread in girth each year even through we cut off the new growth at ground level. It became our most expensive maintenance plant. There is another type of bamboo which is spreading bamboo and it goes all over the place.
For privacy, if that was your neighbors intent than are many wonderful shrubs that are not invasive.

Dotneko 09-02-2021 06:08 AM

I dont see it is their problem. If a bird carried seeds of something onto your property, then who's fault is it if an oak tree sprouts and damages your foundation? You need to spray on your property to kill it, but otherwise, since it is not illegal to plant oh well, too bad so sad. I suspect a lawyer will laugh you out of his office.

Kelevision 09-02-2021 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotneko (Post 1998038)
I dont see it is their problem. If a bird carried seeds of something onto your property, then who's fault is it if an oak tree sprouts and damages your foundation? You need to spray on your property to kill it, but otherwise, since it is not illegal to plant oh well, too bad so sad. I suspect a lawyer will laugh you out of his office.

There are 2 types of bamboo. Clumping and running. Running does just that. Runs out of control any and everywhere. Maybe not their problem but unfortunate OP has to live next to “it’s not my problem” type of neighbor. Welcome to Florida’s friendliest hometown.

Dotneko 09-02-2021 06:21 AM

If its legal to plant, then again, it isnt their problem. I'd be more concerned about 'that neighbor' who wants me to bury a metal barrier between our properties. They sound like a gem to live next door to.

Michigan Farmer 09-02-2021 06:29 AM

You said it was planted "a few feet" from the property line, check your deed restrictions to confirm it was planted to meet these restrictions. Call Communty Standards to confirm this and confirm they had the proper approval from ARC to plant at all.

Bogie Shooter 09-02-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan Farmer (Post 1998057)
You said it was planted "a few feet" from the property line, check your deed restrictions to confirm it was planted to meet these restrictions. Call Communty Standards to confirm this and confirm they had the proper approval from ARC to plant at all.

Approval not required to add plants to one’s property.

Bay Kid 09-02-2021 07:27 AM

Anyone that plants bamboo on these size lots hates their neighbors. The worst of plants.

MrFlorida 09-02-2021 07:38 AM

You have a lifelong gardening project ahead of you.

davem4616 09-02-2021 07:58 AM

we opted out of going with bamboo because of the OP's issue

there's a lot of plants in FL that are not appropriate for these postage size lots

but folks buy 'em because home depot sells them

Dana1963 09-02-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Cheaper than a lawyer, but then again you'll need someone to install it.
Amazon.com

villagetinker 09-02-2021 08:04 AM

Quote:

Try contacting master gardener, they may have some ideas for controlling the spread of this plant into your yard. Sorry for your situation.

Love2Swim 09-02-2021 08:14 AM

If it is the spreading bamboo, not the clumping variety, you really need to take action. If the neighbor is uncooperative, an attorney is your next option. I'm guessing the bamboo will have to be removed from the neighbor's yard, as well as your own, or it will constantly be spreading.

Arctic Fox 09-02-2021 09:01 AM

Would certainly be worth consulting an attorney if the do-it-yourself solutions do not work

If a branch from your neighbor's tree falls on to your roof I suspect you could get them to pay for the repairs