Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Happy hour at the squares. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/happy-hour-squares-323744/)

eweissenbach 09-06-2021 02:48 PM

Happy hour at the squares.

I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?

dewilson58 09-06-2021 03:08 PM

Difficult for me to consider the cost of a Double at the Town Squares an issue with: Leaving Americans Behind, Health Care costs, Climate Change, Hunger, Poverty, Homelessness to name a few going on in the USA.

:beer3:

charlieo1126@gmail.com 09-06-2021 03:13 PM

Don’t you think it might have something to do with squares being closed for months and that the family isn’t running a charity . Do people tip less because price is up I would hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised . I never go to the squares until after 8 pm anyway unless it was special event and quite frankly no one I know puts happy hour as there first consideration when going out at night

retiredguy123 09-06-2021 03:35 PM

Happy hour, 5-7? Shouldn't that be happy 2 hours?

Ben Franklin 09-06-2021 03:41 PM

All businesses are trying to recoup from last years losses. And, we know that once a price goes up, it seldom ever comes down.

eweissenbach 09-06-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com (Post 1999776)
Don’t you think it might have something to do with squares being closed for months and that the family isn’t running a charity . Do people tip less because price is up I would hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised . I never go to the squares until after 8 pm anyway unless it was special event and quite frankly no one I know puts happy hour as there first consideration when going out at night

I don’t know that people tip less - I don’t, but fewer people buying drinks will lead to lower total tips.

Papa_lecki 09-06-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1999772)
Difficult for me to consider the cost of a Double at the Town Squares an issue with: Leaving Americans Behind, Health Care costs, Climate Change, Hunger, Poverty, Homelessness to name a few going on in the USA.

What about reverse mortgages, the inconsistency of the speed of the greens, and the conditions of the 3rd fairway on Havana

dewilson58 09-06-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 1999800)
What about reverse mortgages, the inconsistency of the speed of the greens, and the conditions of the 3rd fairway on Havana

Jus take out a reverse mortgage and put the funds into an annuity and take the stress out of retirement. :icon_wink:

Bogie Shooter 09-06-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1999762)
I have been going to the town squares for eleven years and still enjoy going , listening, people watching, and occasionally, dancing. We go generally once or twice a week when we are here and not feeling threatened by crowds because of Covid-19. I also enjoy having a mixed drink or two when at the squares. Happy hour is from 5-6 at all squares, but used to be from 5-7 at Spanish Springs. Recently I went to the squares for the first time in quite a while and went to a drink shack about five o’clock. I have for years gotten a double bourbon and seven for the price of a single. I was surprised to learn that the only drinks that are discounted during happy hour now are beer or wine. Now, on the scale of hyper important issues, this doesn’t move the needle, but it did give me pause. First, it appears to me that very few people are frequenting the drink shacks compared to earlier times. It also occurs to me that Harold Schwartz and Gary Morse created the more robust happy hours in order to thank residents and visitors for their patronage and incent them to enjoy the squares. They realized that their business was primarily selling homes and not making money on drinks. It seems that the current generation is more focused on making money on everything, including happy hour drinks. I think it may backfire on them if people simply don’t partake and they still have to pay the bartenders. Speaking of which, the bartenders can’t be making much in tips under the new rules. I am wondering if others have considered this an issue or am I alone?

I don’t know, but would like to, if the “current generation”gets the revenue from the drink shacks. If so it must be a huge line item on there income statement!

Ecuadog 09-06-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1999772)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 1999800)

I wish somebody would post a complete list of the subjects that are considered important enough to post about.

dewilson58 09-06-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 1999808)
I wish somebody would post a complete list of the subjects that are considered important enough to post about.

Start a thread. :ho:

Kelevision 09-06-2021 05:24 PM

I was at Brownwood eating at Blue Fin Saturday night. The square was crowded. The bar at Blue Fin was full and there was a wait for tables. I saw a few people going to that bar shack but not many. I’m under 60 and wondered who or why anyone would use that bar. I guess it might be a generation thing? Blue Fin has happy hour from 11-7 and 8-close daily.( unless that has changed)

vintageogauge 09-06-2021 05:29 PM

I don't drink beer or wine, I'm just happy that they have liquor available in the shacks when I'm there. I don't go to Edna's for that reason but from what I understand they are always crowded so I guess they will stick with just beer and wine.

Mrprez 09-06-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1999801)
Jus take out a reverse mortgage and put the funds into an annuity and take the stress out of retirement. :icon_wink:

While drinking your LifeBoost coffee!

RICH1 09-06-2021 05:37 PM

Chili's has 2 for 1 ....