Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Electric bikes on walking/bike paths (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/electric-bikes-walking-bike-paths-324186/)

andercat 09-16-2021 04:54 PM

Electric bikes on walking/bike paths

Are electric bikes allowed on the walking/bike paths?

Toymeister 09-16-2021 05:03 PM

Yes, please be polite and signal (bell) or announce (on your left) that you are there when overtaking walkers.

DAVES 09-17-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2005029)
Yes, please be polite and signal (bell) or announce (on your left) that you are there when overtaking walkers.

Endless posts on the same subject. Post such as I was wrong are non-existent. I drive a car, a golf cart and a bike. Truth, I do not understand why people ride electric bikes as I ride my bike for exercise. But, hey do whatever you want till it intrudes on my rights.

As far as overtaking walkers, the same applies on a regular bike, a golf cart and a car.
The best accident is the one that does not happen. Walkers should be on the sidewalk where there is one. They should be walking toward traffic so as to see what is coming toward them. Bright clothes are a good idea for walkers and bike riders. And the world is not perfect as stated the best accident is the one that does not happen.

eremite06 09-17-2021 10:27 AM

I ride my ebike for exercise just as I do with my other bikes.

dewilson58 09-17-2021 10:55 AM

I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something. :)

Toymeister 09-17-2021 11:51 AM

[QUOTE=DAVES;2005321Truth, I do not understand why people ride electric bikes as I ride my bike for exercise.
[/QUOTE]

The truth is every cyclist will either be on an ebike eventually or quit cycling, it's just a matter of time. Your body will certainly give out on you. E-cyclists go further and get as much or more exercise than most casual cyclists.

There are lots of different types of ebikes. Most from a bike shop will be 250 watts without throttle whereas most from the internet will be 1000watt peak (750 nominal) Chinese specials. Different bikes for different purposes. We're all cyclists, though, same rights and responsibilities.

RICH1 09-17-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2005351)
I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something. :)

Bald head ...that guy is everywhere

Taltarzac725 09-17-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICH1 (Post 2005408)
Bald head ...that guy is everywhere

Glad I have missed him so far here in the Villages.

Topspinmo 09-17-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2005376)
The truth is every cyclist will either be on an ebike eventually or quit cycling, it's just a matter of time. Your body will certainly give out on you. E-cyclists go further and get as much or more exercise than most casual cyclists.

There are lots of different types of ebikes. Most from a bike shop will be 250 watts without throttle whereas most from the internet will be 1000watt peak (750 nominal) Chinese specials. Different bikes for different purposes. We're all cyclists, though, same rights and responsibilities.

IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.

Trayderjoe 09-17-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVES (Post 2005321)
Endless posts on the same subject. Post such as I was wrong are non-existent. I drive a car, a golf cart and a bike. Truth, I do not understand why people ride electric bikes as I ride my bike for exercise. But, hey do whatever you want till it intrudes on my rights.

As far as overtaking walkers, the same applies on a regular bike, a golf cart and a car.
The best accident is the one that does not happen. Walkers should be on the sidewalk where there is one. They should be walking toward traffic so as to see what is coming toward them. Bright clothes are a good idea for walkers and bike riders. And the world is not perfect as stated the best accident is the one that does not happen.

All too often I see walkers on the wrong side of the multi-modal path. I give as wide a berth as I can when passing them, and yet many (not all) are still startled as I pass on my bike. Probably has something to do with the earphones many wear so they never heard my warning that I was coming up on their left. <sigh> Maybe these walkers are why it is still "Darwin's Theory" instead of "Darwin's Law".....

Bill14564 09-17-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2005450)
IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.

As someone who both walks and rides a bicycle, that is not my experience.

kkingston57 09-17-2021 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=dewilson58;2005351]I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.

Sounds like someone with a Napoleon complex.

Kelevision 09-17-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2005450)

There are several types of ebikes but I don’t know of any where you don’t have to pedal? You can get great exercise on them.

Dana1963 09-17-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andercat (Post 2005023)
Are electric bikes allowed on the walking/bike paths?

A bicycle is a bicycle single speed, multiple speed. Electric bicycles have pedals too.

John Mayes 09-17-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2005351)

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: