Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Laser pointed to the sky (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/laser-pointed-sky-324282/)

KSSunshine 09-19-2021 05:33 AM

Laser pointed to the sky

About 6:18 am, I was out on my lanai and saw a green laser pointed to the sky. It was somewhere between Longleaf #4 and the lanai on Gordon Path (west side). A few minutes later, I saw the green laser again but not pointed to the sky. In between these episodes, I observed a Community Watch truck turning onto Gordon Path. While I didn't see a plane in the area, I am concerned that this could impair someone's vision in the cockpit and lasers can travel. Who do you report these incidents to? TIA

Toymeister 09-19-2021 06:33 AM

It's not illegal to own or operate a laser. To 'report' it is the same as sharing your concerns that a neighbor might be a bank robber because they own a firearm.

If you see a plane being actively targeted call 911.

If a plane has been hit by a laser the pilot will report it to the air traffic controller. If the perp is foolish to point the laser at a military plane the pilot will report the exact coordinates to the ATC which will get law enforcement involved.

KSSunshine 09-19-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2006295)
It's not illegal to own or operate a laser. To 'report' it is the same as sharing your concerns that a neighbor might be a bank robber because they own a firearm.

If you see a plane being actively targeted call 911.

If a plane has been hit by a laser the pilot will report it to the air traffic controller. If the perp is foolish to point the laser at a military plane the pilot will report the exact coordinates to the ATC which will get law enforcement involved.

I called Community Watch. It is a 3rd degree felony to point a laser at a law officer or aircraft flight path. It's a 2nd degree felony if it results in injury. (Chapter 784 Section 062 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate).

I think this individual is sitting on the lanai (not much happening here in the morning). This laser was actively pointed at the sky and well over my house. This was not simple ownership (like your firearm analogy). It was a strong light; however I couldn't see aircraft in the area but I don't know how far the laser could travel.

vintageogauge 09-19-2021 09:03 AM

I don't understand why anyone would buy a laser in the first place.

Toymeister 09-19-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSSunshine (Post 2006309)
I called Community Watch. It is a 3rd degree felony to point a laser at a law officer or aircraft flight path. It's a 2nd degree felony if it results in injury.
This laser was actively pointed at the sky and well over my house. This was not simple ownership (like your firearm analogy). It was a strong light; however I couldn't see aircraft in the area but I don't know how far the laser could travel.

Let me rephrase this for you: it is legal to point a laser in the sky UNLESS it is pointed in a aircraft flight path. It IS NOT a third or second degree felony or a crime of any kind to do so.

So yes my analogy is perfect and appropriate. Perhaps you do not understand aviation

The 'sky' is vast and the entire 'sky' is not a aviation flight path. In fact there are designated flight paths. To draw a analogy the entire dry earth (which is far smaller than the 'sky') is not a roadway.

JMintzer 09-19-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2006460)

I had one, years ago, when I was regularly giving lectures... It's still around here, somewhere...

Plus, they are hours of entertainment if you have a cat (and sometimes a dog...)

ROCKMUP 09-19-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Lasers are a great choice for a non lethal weapon, like having a taser or pepper spray. Most lasers sold in the U.S.A. are 5mw. When you get above that, they get really expensive, really fast.

Hape2Bhr 09-19-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

While on a small ship cruise in the Galapagos islands, one of the crew members used a green laser to point out southern constellations.

And we have had cats that love them.

b0bd0herty 09-20-2021 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSSunshine (Post 2006309)
I called Community Watch. It is a 3rd degree felony to point a laser at a law officer or aircraft flight path. It's a 2nd degree felony if it results in injury. (Chapter 784 Section 062 - 2011 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate).

I think this individual is sitting on the lanai (not much happening here in the morning). This laser was actively pointed at the sky and well over my house. This was not simple ownership (like your firearm analogy). It was a strong light; however I couldn't see aircraft in the area but I don't know how far the laser could travel.

Green lasers are also used (not just to commit crimes, down aircraft and blind people) to point out stars and things of interest in the night sky to fellow watchers.
The laser can NOT travel to airplanes that are out of sight.

Miriam2940 09-20-2021 05:35 AM

Really

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2006474)
Let me rephrase this for you: it is legal to point a laser in the sky UNLESS it is pointed in a aircraft flight path. It IS NOT a third or second degree felony or a crime of any kind to do so.

So yes my analogy is perfect and appropriate. Perhaps you do not understand aviation

The 'sky' is vast and the entire 'sky' is not a aviation flight path. In fact there are designated flight paths. To draw a analogy the entire dry earth (which is far smaller than the 'sky') is not a roadway.

How do you know what’s a flight path and what isn’t? The person pointing the laser at the sky might well be within a plane’s flight path

Toymeister 09-20-2021 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miriam2940 (Post 2006847)
How do you know what’s a flight path and what isn’t? The person pointing the laser at the sky might well be within a plane’s flight path

Continuing the analogies:

How do you know if a neighbor, who owns a firearm, is not a bank robber as she (he) might well have used it for exactly that purpose?

Well you would SEE her (or him) robbing the bank!

A laser operating with no plane in sight, is not pointing the laser in a flight path.

Again, consider exactly how vast the 'sky' is. Controlled air space surrounds you, it starts at 600 feet and extends to 18,000 feet. In the extremely vast area of just the United States there are just 5,000 (average) planes in the air. Controlled air space is not synonymous with flight path.

At present, in this country, you are innocent until proven otherwise, you are not guilty because a neighbor thinks that you are.

Continuing:. You don't see a neighbor pointing a laser at a plane, you don't hear one, and no aircraft has contacted air traffic controller about targeting by lasers (this part isn't your concern) there is NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

noslices1 09-20-2021 06:20 AM

I have a couple that my cats love to chase.

Girlcopper 09-20-2021 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSSunshine (Post 2006248)
About 6:18 am, I was out on my lanai and saw a green laser pointed to the sky. It was somewhere between Longleaf #4 and the lanai on Gordon Path (west side). A few minutes later, I saw the green laser again but not pointed to the sky. In between these episodes, I observed a Community Watch truck turning onto Gordon Path. While I didn't see a plane in the area, I am concerned that this could impair someone's vision in the cockpit and lasers can travel. Who do you report these incidents to? TIA

Yes, it can impair a pilot. Just like a gun can kill people, an axe can be used to chop up people, a match can be used to burn down a house. So? Its not illegal to own any of this stuff. And if its aimed at a pilot, he can pinpoint the location better than you. Dont waste a phone call to report something that “might” cause a problem if used in correctly. And I fail to see how the community watch truck fits into this tale.

BlueHeronFan 09-20-2021 06:42 AM

Don't laugh.
Saw an episode on tv where the person was pointing a laser into the sky to try to signal UFOs.
Who knows, maybe trying it.

Fastskiguy 09-20-2021 06:48 AM

It kinda sounds like fun to have one.....