Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   Is the Moderna Vaccine authorized for the booster shot or not? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/moderna-vaccine-authorized-booster-shot-not-324523/)

coffeebean 09-25-2021 02:34 PM

Is the Moderna Vaccine authorized for the booster shot or not?

MSM is reporting that Moderna has not received EAU for booster shots, even for immunocompromised people. People who have received their immunizations from Moderna will just have to wait for their booster shots. They even said that thousands of people have already received Moderna booster shots that should not have received them because Moderna booster shots are not yet authorized. I heard this from Lester Holt (NBC) and from Nora O'Donnell (CBS). I know many of you do not consider these news sources to be reliable so now I'm starting to wonder just how reliable they are. Can't believe I even said that!

I went to the Johns Hopkins website, as recommended by someone on another thread. Johns Hopkins states that they are administering Pfizer and Moderna booster shots to those who have a "qualifying medical condition". This is from the Johns Hopkins website, FAQ..........

"Is Johns Hopkins offering third shots of the Covid-19 vaccines?
Yes. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized an additional COVID-19 vaccine dose for people who received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines and have a qualifying medical condition, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A third shot has been authorized only for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.

People with a qualifying medical condition who have received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines are eligible to get an additional dose of the same vaccine at select Johns Hopkins Medicine vaccination clinics. Eligible people must schedule a COVID-19 vaccine third dose in advance, as follows:

Schedule online through MyChart. View scheduling instructions.
Schedule by phone at 443-997-1875, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The FDA and CDC continue to evaluate data regarding the need for additional doses for other populations. For now, those who received the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine are not eligible to receive any additional doses of any authorized COVID-19 vaccines. Read more about getting a COVID-19 third dose at Johns Hopkins Medicine."

This is the Johns Hopkins website with this information. I consider Johns Hopkins to be a reliable source......

COVID-19 Vaccination Guidance for Johns Hopkins Medicine Patients | Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Updates

jbartle1 09-25-2021 02:55 PM

Not yet!

coffeebean 09-25-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbartle1 (Post 2009063)
Not yet!

So.......Lester and Nora are telling the truth? So glad to hear that.

Having said that..... Hubby saw a "desk" set up at Colony Publix to register people for the Moderna booster shot. I guess Publix hasn't received the memo.

Michael G. 09-25-2021 03:12 PM

Is the Moderna Vaccine authorized for the booster shot or not?

Depends on who you want to believe.
Remember when the first two shots was the complete answer to this b.s.

John Mayes 09-25-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 2009055)
MSM is reporting that Moderna has not received EAU for booster shots, even for immunocompromised people. People who have received their immunizations from Moderna will just have to wait for their booster shots. They even said that thousands of people have already received Moderna booster shots that should not have received them because Moderna booster shots are not yet authorized. I heard this from Lester Holt (NBC) and from Nora O'Donnell (CBS). I know many of you do not consider these news sources to be reliable so now I'm starting to wonder just how reliable they are. Can't believe I even said that!

I went to the Johns Hopkins website, as recommended by someone on another thread. Johns Hopkins states that they are administering Pfizer and Moderna booster shots to those who have a "qualifying medical condition". This is from the Johns Hopkins website, FAQ..........

Yes. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized an additional COVID-19 vaccine dose for people who received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines and have a qualifying medical condition, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A third shot has been authorized only for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.

People with a qualifying medical condition who have received either the Pfizer-BioNTech or the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines are eligible to get an additional dose of the same vaccine at select Johns Hopkins Medicine vaccination clinics. Eligible people must schedule a COVID-19 vaccine third dose in advance, as follows:

The FDA and CDC continue to evaluate data regarding the need for additional doses for other populations. For now, those who received the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine are not eligible to receive any additional doses of any authorized COVID-19 vaccines. Read more about getting a COVID-19 third dose at Johns Hopkins Medicine."

This is the Johns Hopkins website with this information. I consider Johns Hopkins to be a reliable source......

COVID-19 Vaccination Guidance for Johns Hopkins Medicine Patients | Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Updates

Do you have a “qualifying medical condition”? Moderna has not received approval yet for a third shot for most people.

J&J, Moderna and Pfizer: What We Know About Booster Shots So Far – NBC Chicago

Bill14564 09-25-2021 03:33 PM

Back in August an EUA was issued for third shots of both Pfizer and Moderna for certain immunocompromised individuals. Recently, an EUA was issued for a booster shot of Pfizer for those 65 and over and some other groups.

A Google search can find the actual CDC notifications

billethkid 09-25-2021 05:10 PM

This link states Moderna's position on the third shot.

Moderna Asks FDA To Authorize A Booster Shot Of Its COVID-19 Vaccine. : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

All the rest of the arm waving is either special interest motivated,
or the inefficient process of approvals (on top of approvals).

Moderna was and still is under the "emergency approval to distribute" awaiting all the rubber stamps and quid quo pros to take place.

I don't see Moderna changing anything after approval that they are doing or not doing today.

We got our third dose yesterday at Publix. They require an appointment that can only be made on line. Very user friendly site (Google Publix third shot). Our appointments were 1:00 and 1:15 PM and on our way by 1:20 PM.

Side effects? None!

coffeebean 09-25-2021 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mayes (Post 2009070)
Do you have a “qualifying medical condition”? Moderna has not received approval yet for a third shot for most people.

J&J, Moderna and Pfizer: What We Know About Booster Shots So Far – NBC Chicago

From what I saw on last night's news, Moderna does not have authorization for anyone to have booster shots, even if someone has a "qualifying medical condition".

coffeebean 09-25-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2009074)
Back in August an EUA was issued for third shots of both Pfizer and Moderna for certain immunocompromised individuals. Recently, an EUA was issued for a booster shot of Pfizer for those 65 and over and some other groups.

A Google search can find the actual CDC notifications

I just found this from FDA.gov from August 12th. Seems Moderna does have authorization for booster shots for immunocompromised. I wish the media would get this straight. There is conflicting information about the Moderna booster authorization.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Additional Vaccine Dose for Certain Immunocompromised Individuals | FDA

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-25-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 2009120)
I just found this from FDA.gov from August 12th. Seems Moderna does have authorization for booster shots for immunocompromised. I wish the media would get this straight. There is conflicting information about the Moderna booster authorization.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Additional Vaccine Dose for Certain Immunocompromised Individuals | FDA

This is why you should always go to the source of information, when you want to know the information.

If you want an analysis of the information, or opinions about the information, or an investigative report about the source of the information, you go to the media.

If the media says something and you want to know if there's truth to it, go to the source. Always. Don't say "oh well CNN says X therefore it's fake news" or "Fox stated that and that makes it fake news."

This doesn't apply to breitbart, newsmax, the onion, or oann, because all four are, by definition, fake news.

YankeesFan 09-25-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 2009055)

Just because it’s FDA approved doesn’t mean it’s good for your body. A lot of things that are good for your body are not FDA approved.

JMintzer 09-25-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 2009134)
This doesn't apply to breitbart, newsmax, the onion, or oann, because all four are, by definition, fake news.

Fake News? Says you...

And The Onion is a freakin' PARODY site!

John Mayes 09-25-2021 09:11 PM

Amen

Garywt 09-25-2021 09:26 PM

I have actually had my Moderma booster back in August. My doctor called me and scheduled it so I got it. I am not going to question my doctor.

rjn5656 09-26-2021 04:28 AM

Moderna

Got our Moderna booster at Villages Discount Pharmacy on Rt 44. They have all 3 booster, Pfizer, Moderna and JJ.