Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   Help Updating Trust and Will (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/help-updating-trust-will-324803/)

Oregon-Flyer 10-04-2021 09:13 AM

Help Updating Trust and Will

Hi, We recently move to TV from Oregon. We have a Trust & Will in place, but now need to update them for Florida law. Can anyone make a recommendation of an "economical" way to do this?

Babubhat 10-04-2021 09:37 AM

Online software works if you don’t have complicated ones. Look at legal zoom or nolo

Oregon-Flyer 10-04-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babubhat (Post 2012748)
Online software works if you don’t have complicated ones. Look at legal zoom or nolo

Thanks, but I'm hoping not to have to recreate the documents...they're huge!

retiredguy123 10-04-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon-Flyer (Post 2012768)
Thanks, but I'm hoping not to have to recreate the documents...they're huge!

I don't think you will find an attorney who will "update" an existing trust or will. They will want to create a new document. You probably only need to get a new will in Florida. The trust document should be enforceable in any state because it never becomes a public document unless someone takes the trustee to court to contest it. I would suggest talking to Amy Pittman about any estate planning. A lot of Villagers have used her.

starflyte1 10-04-2021 11:17 AM

Trotter and Soulsby have updated mine several times over 12 years. They are located in the Lange Building near 466 and 301, behind CVS. 352-205-7245

Very nice.

Bjeanj 10-04-2021 11:32 AM

We liked working with Katherine Lynn (352) 633-1263

Her office is at 561 Fieldcrest Dr

villagetinker 10-04-2021 03:06 PM

We used Amy Pittman, very pleased.

manaboutown 10-04-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon-Flyer (Post 2012736)
Hi, We recently move to TV from Oregon. We have a Trust & Will in place, but now need to update them for Florida law. Can anyone make a recommendation of an "economical" way to do this?

I have had a revocable living trust and will package since 2006. The documents were initially drafted and executed in CA; they have been twice amended in other states. No problema. Estate lawyers do it all the time, particularly in FL where people retire from all over. Mine is complex, lengthy and has unusual stipulations but it was a cinch to amend. It may cost from $1,500 to $3,500 if it is comprehensive.

As a heads up: When anticipated estate taxes become law (shudder) many of us will need to address another update, likely an expensive do-over. Oh well...

rjm1cc 10-04-2021 07:12 PM

Your documents should be ok but best to have an attorney review at some point. In Fl the administrator/Executor of the will can not be a Felon and must be a blood relative if they do not live in Fl. Your spouses blood relative may not work for you. Not sure. Also make sure your will is self proving.

Northerner52 10-05-2021 04:04 AM

Self proving means the witnesses don't have to be found to verify your signatures. Best to pay a professional like Trotter or Pittman and get your wishes right. Probate can take time and be expensive, IE a trust.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjm1cc (Post 2013038)
Your documents should be ok but best to have an attorney review at some point. In Fl the administrator/Executor of the will can not be a Felon and must be a blood relative if they do not live in Fl. Your spouses blood relative may not work for you. Not sure. Also make sure your will is self proving.

Eg_cruz 10-05-2021 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon-Flyer (Post 2012736)

Eric Millhorn or Jennifer Hansen with Millhorn Elder Law Planning Group
352-753-9333 or 352-330-3369

HeleneGB 10-05-2021 05:02 AM

Millhorn Attorneys on the 301

Singerlady 10-05-2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2012771)
I don't think you will find an attorney who will "update" an existing trust or will. They will want to create a new document. You probably only need to get a new will in Florida. The trust document should be enforceable in any state because it never becomes a public document unless someone takes the trustee to court to contest it. I would suggest talking to Amy Pittman about any estate planning. A lot of Villagers have used her.

I also recommend Amy Pittman. However, for what it’s worth, no one in their office wears masks nor will wear one for you. Amy will sit behind a plexiglass shield, though. I had to take my elderly aunt elsewhere.

louie34 10-05-2021 05:57 AM

Mike Millhorne

Luggage 10-05-2021 06:12 AM

Several people advertise on here as well. My advice, spend as much money as possible first in this life and don't worry too much about the wills. Try to give a lot of way to your children and grandchildren now so they can enjoy the money while you're living and you can see the results. Too often we don't understand that outward appearances do not always tell the true story. If you have grandchild and great-grandchildren set up some trust for their education now, if you have kids that can't afford a house. Tell them you'll help him out. Well you get my drift, it's a lot better and a lot more fun now to enjoy giving the money away than after you're dead