Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Steak n Shake ... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/steak-n-shake-324968/)

kathyspear 10-07-2021 07:19 PM

Steak n Shake ...

... is now open for inside dining. However, instead of wait staff they have four kiosks at the front. You order and pay there and then sit down and wait for them to call out that your order is ready. You then go get your food and bring it back to your table.

We were up north twice in the last month and ate in a couple of restaurants with newly installed kiosks. I guess the owners are tired of waiting for people to return to the work force.

kathy

Garywt 10-07-2021 07:21 PM

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

retiredguy123 10-07-2021 07:25 PM

You would think that a high class place like Steak and Shake would provide personal service.

Malsua 10-07-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyspear (Post 2014516)
... is now open for inside dining. However, instead of wait staff they have four kiosks at the front. You order and pay there and then sit down and wait for them to call out that your order is ready. You then go get your food and bring it back to your table.

We were up north twice in the last month and ate in a couple of restaurants with newly installed kiosks. I guess the owners are tired of waiting for people to return to the work force.

kathy

We ate there a week or so ago and there was no crowd. While I don't mind the Kiosk thing, because I'm there for a burger and a shake, it seems to me the new process has driven off many customers.

It's now just a fast food joint where they call out your number. I suspect this is the end because 3 tables with people at 5pm on a Thursday is not a recipe for a food joint to survive.

spd2918 10-08-2021 05:48 AM

The workforce shortage will not improve if the minimum wage is increased.

Bay Kid 10-08-2021 07:36 AM

Worked their way right out of a job.

tophcfa 10-08-2021 07:43 AM

Looks like we will be eating at home just about all the time in the future, I refuse to eat anywhere that forces me to use a Kiosk or App to order/pay for our food.

Bill14564 10-08-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2014647)
Looks like we will be eating at home just about all the time in the future, I refuse to eat anywhere that forces me to use a Kiosk or App to order/pay for our food.

My mother would not stop at a gas station where she had to pump her own gas or pay at the pump - that just wasn't the level service she was accustomed to. I, on the other hand, would drive to the next station until I found one where I *could* pay at the pump.

Some prefer to talk to a person to take their order, especially if the prices reflect that kind of service. I'm starting to get used to the mobile order apps and a kiosk wouldn't bother me at all. But if ordering at a kiosk is not the Steak-n-Shake experience people have become accustomed to and expect then they will likely lose some business.

kcrazorbackfan 10-08-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2014647)

Good gawd! Not eating at a place where you have to use kiosk or app to order?

Get used to it. It is the future because people don’t want to get off their ass and go back to work; restaurant’s like Steak and Shake have to find a way to survive.

Opengineer150 10-08-2021 09:08 PM

Look at it this way you just saved 20% . No reason to tip if there is no wait staff

justjim 10-08-2021 10:35 PM

Spot on

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opengineer150 (Post 2015016)
Look at it this way you just saved 20% . No reason to tip if there is no wait staff

When will people wake up and look at the data. There is a shortage of labor as projected at least 20 years ago. To show you how unrealistic Congress is the current Federal Minimum Wage is $7.25 It’s a joke. The people we are sending to Washington are completely out of step with the people they are suppose to represent. Do you suppose the fact that most of them are millionaires has anything to do with it? Yeah, maybe a little.

Luggage 10-09-2021 04:55 AM

That shows how most of you are so old. Coming from Jersey we were one of two states that had a law that we must have service people at gas stations because there are so many small private ones that they wanted to protect. I shudder to think with the shortage of workers what the lines would be just to get gas in today's world. We went to France about 10 or 12 years ago and at the Palace of Versailles we had to eat at a McDonald's and we first saw her touch screens there on a Sunday when all the other restaurants were closed, even the French did not know how to use them. Get used to it along with self checkout Lanes, pre-ordering on your phone, and the ubiquitous Amazon, I bet none of you understand or realize how much the world really has changed when you can't even get anyone at the department store to give you any help except for maybe the shoe department. Low skill jobs are going away for a lot of people and it's really going to hurt all the high school is mostly and the seniors that just want something easy to take up a few hours. And steak and shake is just a fast food joint folks . I can't say the food is any better or worse than McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's.

DaleDivine 10-09-2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2014518)
You would think that a high class place like Steak and Shake would provide personal service.

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

DaleDivine 10-09-2021 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2014709)
My mother would not stop at a gas station where she had to pump her own gas or pay at the pump - that just wasn't the level service she was accustomed to. I, on the other hand, would drive to the next station until I found one where I *could* pay at the pump.

I haven't seen a full service gas station in years. I guess I'm so used to pump n go stations
That I haven't looked for a full service...
:popcorn::popcorn:

Malsua 10-09-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleDivine (Post 2015059)
I haven't seen a full service gas station in years. I guess I'm so used to pump n go stations
That I haven't looked for a full service...
:popcorn::popcorn:

I lived 28 years in Ohio and 28 years in NJ until recently and getting fuel in the rain or snow in NJ was a breeze because some guy from India or Pakistan did the work. No idea why there aren't people from elsewhere, but they are all most all from the Indian subcontinent or just north of there. Rare Egyptian. You get to know most of them if you go enough. Nice folks usually.

They also, on occasion would steal your credit card information, short change you, over fill you (I asked for $20, you filled me up, etc.).

You take the good with the bad.

Personally, I love the scan and go App at Sam's club both inside and for gas. Drive up, it picks up the code and fill 'er up. I also love walking behind my cart with items past all the people in line in the store and go right out to the door! The first time it felt a bit like stealing, but I got over it. Now I wouldn't even consider NOT using the app in Sam's club. It's so much easier to just leave with the stuff you picked out.