Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Slop. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/slop-325229/)

Taltarzac725 10-14-2021 09:58 AM

Slop.

A woman who comes to the house rather often was discussing her Detriot, MI area family eating slop when she was growing up.

It had fried beef and corn on bottom with onions and other stuff all cooked.

Then mashed potatoes on the top and then cooked in a casserole like baking pan in the oven. With tomato sauce over the top.

Never heard of this while living in Wisconsin, Minnesota nor in Illinois. Nor when a teen in Reno, Nevada where people came from all over to work for warehouses and gambling related businesses.

Two Bills 10-14-2021 10:58 AM

Sounds like a Shepherds Pie variant!

Taltarzac725 10-14-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2017418)

The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie - The Wholesome Dish

You are right!!

fdpaq0580 10-14-2021 11:26 AM

Slop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 2017390)
A woman who comes to the house rather often was discussing her Detriot, MI area family eating slop when she was growing up.

Then mashed potatoes on the top and then cooked in a casserole like baking pan in the oven. With tomato sauce over the top.

Never heard of this while living in Wisconsin, Minnesota nor in Illinois. Nor when a teen in Reno, Nevada where people came from all over to work for warehouses and gambling related businesses.

Just came over from the post about the Chop House. This recipe sounds great to me. Says a lot about my food preferences. Not a food snob here. Just good comfort food at reasonable prices, please. Bring on the slop!

Dana1963 10-14-2021 03:15 PM

Sounds like Shepard Pie: ground beef w/onions and gravy, layer of corn covered with mashed potatoes minus the tomatoes sauce

thelegges 10-14-2021 05:50 PM

Lived in Michigan for 50 years the only slop ever mentioned was those who slop the pigs. Never had it served at our table, but some food items in the service could fit the bill

Taltarzac725 10-14-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 2017548)
Lived in Michigan for 50 years the only slop ever mentioned was those who slop the pigs. Never had it served at our table, but some food items in the service could fit the bill

Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie) - Life In The Lofthouse

The Michigan family that this woman comes from is English/Irish so maybe that got it from a grandmother or grandfather from the Old Country.

sdeikenberry 10-15-2021 04:48 AM

What the author refers to is Chinese Pie. It has nothing to do with China, and originates in Canada. I've eaten it for decades, it's very tasty, and easy to prepare. Here's a link to the recipe: 'Chinese' Pie Recipe | Allrecipes

Joanne19335 10-15-2021 04:50 AM

Quote:

Sounds delicious minus the tomato sauce.

MandoMan 10-15-2021 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2017418)

It does sound a bit like shepherd’s pie, except for the tomato sauce on top. (But then, catsup is good on shepherd’s pie.) Perhaps there aren’t many shepherds in Detroit. Or sheep! The original shepherd’s pie, in the UK, was so called because it used lots of minced mutton and no beef. It was something tender to do with the meat when a sheep in the herd died. (There were many centuries when sheep in the UK were raised primarily for their wool, and eating lamb was a waste of a potential wool producer.) Mutton is tasty, if a bit sheepish in flavor. Nice in a curry. I used to see it (from New Zealand, frozen) in the grocery store when I lived in England, but I’ve never seen mutton for sale here. I suspect that a lot of it ends up in dog food.

collegeref 10-15-2021 05:35 AM

Shepherds pie with au jus ?

DaleDivine 10-15-2021 05:49 AM

Shepherd's pie with a lot of hot sauce...
:a040::a040:

chenault55 10-15-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

It kind of sounds like some version of Shepards pie.

NotGolfer 10-15-2021 06:50 AM

I'm from Minnesota....years ago when crockpots 1st came out a woman told me about a dish (now my memory might fail a bit) that one could make in it. It had green beans, hamburger (that had already been fried/crumbled) then topped with mashed potatoes. I don't recall if then tomato sauce was poured over it or if creamed soup of some type OR if it had a name (but slop doesn't come to mind). We had it maybe once or twice then it was history. Kiddos were very young and at a finicky stage (guess the parents were too) but this sounds somewhat similar to what the OP is talking about.

butlerism 10-15-2021 07:03 AM

Sounds like a horrible cook