Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Do you purchase a product or service because (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/do-you-purchase-product-service-because-325796/)

Number 10 GI 10-30-2021 09:09 AM

Do you purchase a product or service because

some celebrity is telling you how great it is? In the past there was the picture of a famous athlete on the Wheaties box but the for last few years there seem to be celebrities in all sorts of commercials for all kinds of products or services.
Does this type of endorsement affect your decision to purchase it? I don't think I've ever bought anything because some celebrity told me to buy it. I imagine they pay these celebrities a significant fee for doing the commercial but I wonder if it really increases sales.

HIgolfers 10-30-2021 09:10 AM

No. Tom Selleck and reverse mortgages🤣

blueash 10-30-2021 10:04 AM

As you are certainly well aware the use of famous persons is to consciously or subconsciously link the positive feelings you have with the product being sold. It doesn't have to as blatant as Trump steaks. The public thinks Arnold is tough, get him to endorse your work boots. The public thinks Bill Nye is smart, get him to endorse your hybrid car.

If a woman is attractive, get her to lean against the muscle car you're selling. In that case it is not the famous face, it is the not so subtle suggestion that you'll get more than a fast car if you buy the product. Our brains make connections even when there is no good reason. More babies are not born when there is a full moon but many delivery room nurses say that full moon nights are the busiest.

If celebrity ads didn't work, the ad companies would have figured it out by now.

Mortal1 10-30-2021 11:50 AM

Those of a weak mind fall for those ads and spam calls. I, thankfully not yet, do not fall into that category. Yet it's only a matter of time.

retiredguy123 10-30-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2023430)
Those of a weak mind fall for those ads and spam calls. I, thankfully not yet, do not fall into that category. Yet it's only a matter of time.

If that is true, then there are a lot of weak minded people, and not just old ones.

manaboutown 10-30-2021 11:54 AM

Although I am sure celebrity ads subconsciously affect my purchasing decisions what consciously affects them negatively are ads I find offensive. I avoid those products as much as possible.

tvbound 10-30-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 2023393)
As you are certainly well aware the use of famous persons is to consciously or subconsciously link the positive feelings you have with the product being sold. It doesn't have to as blatant as Trump steaks. The public thinks Arnold is tough, get him to endorse your work boots. The public thinks Bill Nye is smart, get him to endorse your hybrid car.

If a woman is attractive, get her to lean against the muscle car you're selling. In that case it is not the famous face, it is the not so subtle suggestion that you'll get more than a fast car if you buy the product. Our brains make connections even when there is no good reason. More babies are not born when there is a full moon but many delivery room nurses say that full moon nights are the busiest.

If celebrity ads didn't work, the ad companies would have figured it out by now.

"If celebrity ads didn't work, the ad companies would have figured it out by now."

There's the answer in a nutshell.

Two Bills 10-30-2021 12:42 PM

I don't know if it is the celebrity or the product they are endorsing, that makes people buy stuff.
I do know that labels are very important.
Our two grandsons would stick pins in their eyes before being seen in public in any clothing that did not have a peer acceptable label on it.
Peer pressure on the young is a big influence in my opinion..
As for me, I am just an old scruff bag most of the time, but the kids think I still scrub up well when pushed!

jswirs 10-31-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2023431)
If that is true, then there are a lot of weak minded people, and not just old ones.

There you go, yes, there are many gullible people who fall for what they hear and what they are told. If you tell a lie often enough, (some) people will see it as truth.

DaleDivine 10-31-2021 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIgolfers (Post 2023376)
No. Tom Selleck and reverse mortgages������

Or William Shatner...
:popcorn::popcorn:

J1ceasar 10-31-2021 05:13 AM

gullible OR -------------

peer acceptance is more like it ,,, unless your a "GOTH:

anti everybody else ........

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswirs (Post 2023564)
There you go, yes, there are many gullible people who fall for what they hear and what they are told. If you tell a lie often enough, (some) people will see it as truth.

tvbound 10-31-2021 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswirs (Post 2023564)

" If you tell a lie often enough, (some) people will see it as truth."

We're watching that truism play out every day.

mydavid 10-31-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIgolfers (Post 2023376)
No. Tom Selleck and reverse mortgages������

When looking for a reverse mortgage I called them first, but after some research I went with a different Co. It always pays to look around.

John-US 10-31-2021 06:11 AM

Coupons and Advertising is done to MOVE merchandise. (period end of story)

If you are using a coupon the retailer realized they have too much or it's out of season.. and welp here is 10% off to get this down the road- it's called steering folks. (avoid it and buy ONLY what you need) like toilet paper and lysol. (buy as much as your kia can hold)

thevillages2013 10-31-2021 06:25 AM

No but I will avoid buying a product or service because of the celebrity they have advertising it. No more sandwiches made by a certain underground railway company because of their futbol spokesperson and definitely no more anything with a swoosh on it because of their relationship with a former football player that tends to kneel when he sees our flag or hears our great national anthem. My golf bag went to the curb because of the symbol on it. That’s how I roll