Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Golfing off campus (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/golfing-off-campus-326055/)

palmers 11-07-2021 06:35 AM

Golfing off campus

Many of us golf off campus in the winter. It would be great if we could start a thread that we could share our experiences golfing outside The Villages. Here is what our group just experienced...On 11/01/21 our group played Green Valley CC in Clermont. We didn't care much for the front nine (not in great shape and very tricky greens) but the back nine was in good shape and a very nice layout. The afternoon price was only $30. I would go back just to play the back nine again. I would also go back because of the little bar / restaurant there. Best cheeseburger I ever had. Great waitress and service.

rjn5656 11-07-2021 07:14 AM

Great idea. I golf weekly winter off campus with a friend from Ocala. Too expensive to bring him here as a guest since he lives in Marion County.

Papa_lecki 11-07-2021 07:28 AM

If possible, post a link to the course’s web site in your write up…..

Dana1963 11-07-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmers (Post 2026204)
Many of us golf off campus in the winter. It would be great if we could start a thread that we could share our experiences golfing outside The Villages. Here is what our group just experienced...On 11/01/21 our group played Green Valley CC in Clermont. We didn't care much for the front nine (not in great shape and very tricky greens) but the back nine was in good shape and a very nice layout. The afternoon price was only $30. I would go back just to play the back nine again. I would also go back because of the little bar / restaurant there. Best cheeseburger I ever had. Great waitress and service.

Congratulations for breaking out of jail.

ctmurray 11-07-2021 09:44 AM

Big Bear Golf in Mount Dora

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmers (Post 2026204)

My group went to Big Bear two weeks ago. Greens were very slow. The fairways were in good shape. Lots of moguls in the fairway. Many greens are uphill from the fairway. The greens are quite small, in particular several par 5's. But fun to play, the moguls make it different. Black Bear Golf Club | Mount Dora Golf | Mount Dora Golf Courses

Allen Dronsfield 11-08-2021 06:02 AM

Off Campus

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctmurray (Post 2026342)
My group went to Big Bear two weeks ago. Greens were very slow. The fairways were in good shape. Lots of moguls in the fairway. Many greens are uphill from the fairway. The greens are quite small, in particular several par 5's. But fun to play, the moguls make it different. Black Bear Golf Club | Mount Dora Golf | Mount Dora Golf Courses

Black Bear is a Pete Dye course, I've played it for years, you might also try Red Tail in Sorrento, Sanctuary Ridge in Clermont, there are many others worth looking into. Eagle Dune is on st rt. 44 Eustis, bring your sand bucket and shovel it is a challenge. All of these courses are approx. 1 hr drive. You could go just a bit further to Deland and play Victoria Hills well worth the drive.

Buckeye Bob 11-08-2021 10:01 AM

Has anyone played Deer Island in Tavares lately? If so, what condition was the course in?

bilcon 11-08-2021 10:46 AM

There is or was a big group that played outside TV. It was or is called: (Troops or Troupes) Groups. They organized everything and usually included golf plus lunch. Do they still exist?

bilcon 11-08-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob (Post 2026855)
Has anyone played Deer Island in Tavares lately? If so, what condition was the course in?

Bring lots of balls because you will probably end up in the water several times. They changed the name, I think.

arickis 11-08-2021 12:02 PM

Sanctuary Ridge is a big question mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Dronsfield (Post 2026666)
Black Bear is a Pete Dye course, I've played it for years, you might also try Red Tail in Sorrento, Sanctuary Ridge in Clermont, there are many others worth looking into. Eagle Dune is on st rt. 44 Eustis, bring your sand bucket and shovel it is a challenge. All of these courses are approx. 1 hr drive. You could go just a bit further to Deland and play Victoria Hills well worth the drive.

We played Sanctuary Ridge last year and it was terrible. Hardpan on all fairways, weeds in bunkers.....complete lack of maintainance. Has anyone played it recently?

CatskillBill 11-08-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arickis (Post 2026918)
We played Sanctuary Ridge last year and it was terrible. Hardpan on all fairways, weeds in bunkers.....complete lack of maintainance. Has anyone played it recently?

I just read that Sanctuary Ridge has been sold and temporarily closed for major renovations.
It think it will be renamed Clermont National.

COLTempleton 11-10-2021 09:43 AM

Harbor Hills, Ocala National, Juliet Falls, Mystic Dunes, Mission Inn - all good courses in my opinion.

BumpaOompa 11-10-2021 10:13 AM

Just attended a golf outing at Arlington in Leesburg. The course was in terrible condition, ordered a sandwich from the cart person and received it 2-1/2 hours later, had dinner after the outing and they would not provide water. Had to purchase it in bottles for a high price. Bought several bottles for the table and when I turned my back the waitress removed the full unopened bottles. Would not recommend this course.

tophcfa 11-10-2021 10:17 AM

Any reviews of Stone Creek or Spruce Creek?

donassaid 11-11-2021 06:01 AM

Deer Island did change their name but changed it back i think. Love the course, lots of water. Last played several months ago and it was in good shape then.