Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Southern Oaks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/southern-oaks-326327/)

MidWestIA 11-14-2021 07:20 AM

Southern Oaks

Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.

John Mayes 11-14-2021 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidWestIA (Post 2029407)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.

So I take it that you didn’t like it.

Bogie Shooter 11-14-2021 09:22 AM

And yet, others complain that at some of the older courses the rough is cut so short it really isn't a rough.
Tough to please everybody......................................

tophcfa 11-14-2021 09:25 AM

Have been waiting for first hand reviews of the new course, keep them coming.

asianthree 11-14-2021 11:52 AM

Playing Tuesday. That being said, some have problems playing tight fairways, water, sand. Playing the correct tees, make the game enjoyable.

The complaint of the turnpike would be a new one for me. Did OP have problems with the noise, slicing onto the freeway, or playing thru the traffic, to get a Frozen Mocha at the Service Center.:clap2:

Chi-Town 11-14-2021 12:03 PM

An 18 hole course has been a long time coming south of 44. Happy that it's open for the people living there. Makes that area more if a golf car community. Hit 'em straight.

Papa_lecki 11-14-2021 12:16 PM

Just watched Don’s video on Southern Oaks - it seems like a great course.
His video showed lots of Southern Oaks trees - and Don commented they tried to preserve as many healthy Oaks as possible.

MSchad 11-14-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a course you need to plan your shots and not just swing away. Not a course everyone would appreciate but many players will.

emailforentries@gmail.com 11-14-2021 03:11 PM

Golf Ambassador

We like playing championship courses. Don’t mind paying to play a longer course. Gold Tees. The ambassador continues to tell us to go up to the 150 mark, drop a ball, to pick up pace of play. The group’s following us tee off from the shortest tees. It doesn’t seem fair that we can’t play gold just because the people behind us play a shorter game or have only 2 players. We still play a 3.75 hour game without being rushed. It totally ruins the play!

kcrazorbackfan 11-14-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Play better and you won’t be able to complain….

villagetinker 11-14-2021 04:57 PM

My neighbor just played this course and was very pleased. Me, if i shoot my age on an exec course I am doing good.

Funkman 11-14-2021 06:37 PM

Played it yesterday morning (had to start on 4 because of the fog delay) rough was longer than most places down here which I liked, obviously some of the fairways weren't in the best of shape with some shaggy areas and some sparse spots, as it's still a work in progress. Greens were in good shape and there will be some interesting pin placements. No satellite yet for the Garmin watch but I guess they're working on that and the individual holes haven't been rated/handicapped yet.

Staff kept everyone informed as to what was going on concerning the delay and how they were going to handle it (I think it ended up being a little over an hour)

Liked the set up although the highway is pretty close to a few of the holes

I'm looking forward to playing there again

golfing eagles 11-14-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Played it today. Obviously the course is immature, but hardly "bland". IMHO, the rough is overly punitive, there are many lies from which I couldn't get any kind of decent contact, and a ball that hits that rough will roll about 2 yards. It is relatively short--I played the blue tees which were barely over 6,000 yds., the golds are about 6,500, there are no blacks, and the whites are only 5,550. Similar to playing Pensacola to Destin at Bonifay, there are 6 par 3's, 6 4's and 6 5's. For a course that just opened, the greens were in pretty good shape and there is plenty of contour. The turnpike is a non-issue. I'll be back. Best advice---don't hit it into the rough:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

John Mayes 11-14-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2029720)
Played it today. Obviously the course is immature, but hardly "bland". IMHO, the rough is overly punitive, there are many lies from which I couldn't get any kind of decent contact, and a ball that hits that rough will roll about 2 yards. It is relatively short--I played the blue tees which were barely over 6,000 yds., the golds are about 6,500, there are no blacks, and the whites are only 5,550. Similar to playing Pensacola to Destin at Bonifay, there are 6 par 3's, 6 4's and 6 5's. For a course that just opened, the greens were in pretty good shape and there is plenty of contour. The turnpike is a non-issue. I'll be back. Best advice---don't hit it into the rough:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Great advice on the rough…..if only if I could get my swing to cooperate.

alwann 11-14-2021 08:22 PM

Distances

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSchad (Post 2029587)
Sounds like a course you need to plan your shots and not just swing away. Not a course everyone would appreciate but many players will.

I don't suppose this course will be in the databases of GPS range finders anytime soon.
Hope I'll get paired with a laser range finder player.